SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What true surrender is?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 What true surrender is?

Now let us hear what true surrender is- it is to let go of all things for God’s sake and to turn to God so he may lead us; Jesus Christ called it hatred! ‘He who does not hate his father and mother and renounce everything that he has is not worthy of me‘. True surrender is to put to death the flesh and to be born another time; the whole world wants to have Christ but they pass him by, they do not find him because they want to have him only as a gift, only as a giver of grace and a mediator which he certainly is, but they do not want to have him in a suffering way. The same Christ who says ‘all who are heavy laden come to me and I will refresh you,’ also says ‘whosoever does not forsake father and mother cannot be my disciple!’ Whoever loves truth must accept the one as well as the other. Whoever wants to have Christ must have him also in the way of suffering. It is foolish to say that we believe that Christ has redeemed us, but we do not want to live like he lived. True surrender involves two things: enduring persecution, and overcoming ourselves. When they hit us on the one cheek we are to turn to them the other. In the second place we must be weaned from the ways of our human nature as a child must be weaned from his mother’s breast, we must be willing to forsake wife, children, father, mother, lands and property, our lives and even what God has given to us for Christ’s sake.

- Hans Hoffer (from his prison cell in Moravia)

2013/10/23 17:36Profile
proudpapa

Re: What true surrender is?

RE:/// The same Christ who says ‘all who are heavy laden come to me and I will refresh you,///

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

RE: ///also says ‘whosoever does not forsake father and mother cannot be my disciple!///

What Scripture says "whosoever does not forsake father and mother cannot be my disciple" ?

2013/10/23 21:16Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Proudpapa wrote:RE: ///also says ‘whosoever does not forsake father and mother cannot be my disciple!///

What Scripture says "whosoever does not forsake father and mother cannot be my disciple" ?

“If any man come to Me and hate not his father and mother, and wife and children, and brethren and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
Luke 14:26

This is the verse I think that its talking about.

God bless
mj

2013/10/23 21:30Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

ABSOLUTE SURRENDER by Andrew Murray

ABSOLUTE SURRENDER by Andrew Murray

“And Ben-hadad the king of Syria gathered all his host together: and there were thirty and two kings with him, and horses, and chariots: and he went up and besieged Samaria, and warred against it. And he sent messengers to Ahab king of Israel into the city, and said unto him, Thus saith Ben-hadad, Thy silver and thy gold is mine; thy wives also and thy children, even the goodliest, are mine. And the king of Israel answered and said, My lord, O king, according to thy saying, I am thine and all that I have” (1 Kings 20:1-4).

What Ben Hadad asked was absolute surrender; and what Ahab gave was what was asked of him—absolute surrender. I want to use these words: “My lord, O king, according to thy saying, I am thine, and all that I have,” as the words of absolute surrender with which every child of God ought to yield himself to his Father. We have heard it before, but we need to hear it very definitely—the condition of God’s blessing is absolute surrender of all into His hands. Praise God! If our hearts are willing for that, there is no end to what God will do for us, and to the blessing God will bestow.

Absolute surrender—let me tell you where I got those words. I used them myself often, and you have heard them numberless times. But in Scotland once I was in a company where we were talking about the condition of Christ’s Church, and what the great need of the Church and of believers is; and there was in our company a godly worker who has much to do in training workers, and I asked him what he would say was the great need of the Church, and the message that ought to be preached. He answered very quietly and simply and determinedly: “Absolute surrender to God is the one thing.”

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/murray/surrender.ii.html

2013/10/23 21:47Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Hi mary Jane,

I now see the equivalence of "does not forsake" with "Hate"

When I read it at first, I was thinking of forsake as in definition of total literal abandonment.

after reading it over several times I see that it is in the context of the introduction of : "it is to let go of all things for God’s sake and to turn to God so he may lead us"

2013/10/23 21:49Profile
proudpapa

What true surrender is?

What true surrender is?

I believe true surrender is to cease from all effort of trying to make ones self worthy.
as long as we are trying to be worthy, we will always be comparing and criticizing.

"There is only one entrance to the path of perfection: the gate of grace. You are already perfect in God’s eyes through the righteousness of His Son, Jesus Christ. Now, here is your responsibility: Stop striving.

Your efforts only send you backward, not forward. They cause you to miss God’s grace completely—grace that brings freedom, joy and power to do all that God has called you to do." - Gary Wilkerson

2013/10/23 23:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy