SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Amish coming to the light

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
proudpapa

Amish coming to the light

By Michael Pearl :

In the middle of January, Deb and I and our designated drivers and helpers drove up to Lancaster, Pennsylvania to speak at two different locations. An all-day seminar on Saturday took place in a theater that seated 640 people. They charged an admission fee of $10 a seat to pay for the theater rental, yet every seat was filled and, sadly, some people were turned away. The Amish seemed to outnumber the “English,” as us outsiders are called. It was delightful to meet so many Amish who had been born again, some from having listened to my audio messages, especially the book of Romans taught verse by verse. Their testimonies were all sprinkled with stories of persecution and banishment. Many had been shunned, losing their property and contact with family. The Amish do not allow anyone to come to God through Jesus Christ alone. They think there is one mediator between God and man—the Amish church.

Many who came to the meetings thought they would be the only ones attending. One woman whispered to Deb, “I just had to come, but I couldn’t let anyone know or they would put me in the ban. Then when I came through the door I saw all of the black-clothed people. Many of them I know, and they, too, would be banned if anyone found out, but they won’t tell on me and I won’t tell on them.”

On Sunday morning the theatre was again filled with Amish or previously banned Amish comprising a large part of the congregation. I preached the gospel as clearly as I have ever presented it. I heard testimony from several who were greatly moved to consider trusting in Jesus Christ alone. I do not offer them another church or an alternative to their chosen lifestyle. I seek no following and shun any who would tend in that direction. I offer them Jesus Christ in all his forgiveness by faith alone without the works of the law, and it is a message that resonates with those bound up in dead works and man-made rules.

The gospel actually works to free men from guilt and empowers them to live holy in this life.

The gospel I preach, the one Paul preached, actually works to free men from guilt and empowers them to live holy in this life. This gospel works in the prisons where I preach. It works with a hitchhiker I pick up. It works on prostitutes and sodomites, dope heads and murderers, to deliver them from sin and to birth them into a new life of godliness. And it works on the Amish and Mennonites to free them from the fear of man and the bondage of a religion constructed on intimidation.

Sunday afternoon we drove to central Pennsylvania to conduct meetings Sunday and Monday night. A large number of the Amish, many of them members of the church in good standing, hired someone to drive them to the meetings. They sat shoulder to shoulder to hear the messages. Wow! That’s what I am talking about! The sense of responsibility and opportunity was overwhelming. Souls hanging in the balance—that may have been the only opportunity they would ever have to hear the good news plain and simple. They were “plain people” and I had a plain message. The Spirit of God moved and the words of God found lodging in good ground.

If I had another life or the energy, I would go there and stay for weeks or months to share the good news. The harvest is ripe. Pray for the Amish and Mennonites that their eyes will be opened and the seed of the Word will bring forth fruit unto eternal life.

http://nogreaterjoy.org/articles/amish-coming-to-the-light/

2013/10/11 8:38Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re: Amish coming to the light

Thank you Proud papa for sharing this.

Michael Pearl is one of those ministers somewhat "different" than myself. I have heard many express opinions about him as well, noting the differences they took issue with. I believe this is comparing ourselves among ourselves - hmmmm.

I am grateful that God's ways are not "MY" ways, and His thoughts are not "MY" thoughts. I may not have made this choice in "MY" wisdom.

In the eyes of some, maybe even "myself" brother Michael may have been "foolish" in some areas, or "weak" in some areas - at least admittedly in "my way of thinking".

Hearing these good reports of the Lord moving among the Amish and using His servant Michael in His own way, reminds me that the only place some ministers may appear to be "foolish" or "weak" is in MY OWN eyes - not HIS!

I am glad that the Lord chooses the "weak" things to confound the strong and the "foolish" things to confound the wise. I am happily confounded by such wonderful news.

makrothumia

2013/10/11 12:00Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Hi makrothumia

makrothumia wrote : /// In the eyes of some, maybe even "myself" brother Michael may have been "foolish" in some areas, or "weak" in some areas - at least admittedly in "my way of thinking".///

having devoured his messages, I can understand and agree somewhat with that.

Pearl was one of the first non mainstream preachers that I was exposed to,
At the time I was dumbfounded by his wisdom and knowledge in comparison to that of what I heard from the mainstream conservative preachers such as you would hear on a moody brodcasting network.

I was an habitual addict of very gross unspeakable sin, his messages mixed with the fellowship with Spirit filled Saints from Charity where instrumental with those chains of bondage being broken and Grace flooding my heart.

14 years of sincere uncountable number of responses to baptist alter calls, and all the effort that I could put forth myself, did not work. But when I heard the truth of the Gospel, It had the power to break the chains of bondage.

2013/10/11 20:32Profile

Re:

Amen makrothumia and proudpapa, encouraging word.

"I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some."

"For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it" (1 Cor. 9: 19-23).

2013/10/12 11:20
proudpapa

A “Saved” Amish Lady

from the Pearls mailbox :

"Pearls,

We are Amish. A while back I read your article, “Learning from the Atheists.” And it happened to me! I didn’t know what it was; I had no idea anything could feel like this, but I knew for the first time I had peace, a presence, a newness; I mean everything looked new! I wasn’t afraid to die. I was constantly saying or thinking, “Thank you, Jesus.” I told my husband, but he thought it was a woman’s hormone thing and shrugged it off.

When my neighbor (Amish too) heard me telling about it, she said it had happened to her too and that you call it “getting saved.” I told everybody because it was the most wonderful thing that had ever happened to me. It was amazing to me that just understanding that Jesus took my place as a sinner so that I could be forgiven could be so life changing. I thought everyone would be delighted to learn about this wonderful gift. Instead, I started getting visits from concerned leadership and family. As I said, we are Amish. My husband is one of the preachers, and having an overzealous wife really puts him in the hot seat, so you can see my talking about Jesus all the time really upsets him.

After a lot of embarrassing confrontations I was shunned, which means I was basically shut off from my family and friends. It would have been bearable, but I knew they would not even open my letters, so now there was no one to tell. It has been hard, and it really took my happiness right away. But I can still pray for those that I love to come to this knowledge, and I am seeing prayers answered, which really thrills me. It is so frustrating not to be allowed to tell anyone.

I got sick and had to go to the doctor several times. Even though I felt really bad it seemed like a wonderful opportunity to tell all the Englishers [non Amish] how Jesus had paid for their sins. It was sad because they just ignored me, which was worse than the Amish being upset.

My husband is mad at me and wants me to just keep my mouth shut, so I do; but then I see someone that I know is suffering from fear and doubt and I feel so guilty for not telling them about Jesus’ forgiveness. Should I obey my husband and not tell people? I read your Created book, which is good, and it is also frustrating. There are many among our people that are sadly depressed. They need to know forgiveness instead of taking drugs like Prozac and Zoloft, which is what they take. It is so sad to know they are struggling and that I have the answer. It is so wonderful to be free from fear, anxiety, bitterness, and depression; I know because I was once there. They each control the other in fear of being cast out (including my own husband) and yet they are all so depressed. How can it be right to NOT tell them?

I have many questions and ask for your prayers for my people.

— A “Saved” Amish lady

Mike Answers:

Here is your answer: “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it” (Matthew 10:34–39).

“But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done” (Acts 4:19–21)."

http://nogreaterjoy.org/articles/from-our-mailbox-a-saved-amish-lady/

2013/10/23 22:56Profile

Re: A “Saved” Amish Lady

The ministry of the Lord through Michael Pearl has blessed my family in many ways through the years starting around 1996. That's wonderful what is happening in the Amish community. Thanks for posting, ProudPapa.

A few quotes I always remember from Mike:

"Parenting is not for the faint of heart".

"Figure out what you want your children to be like when they grow up and you become that person first".

"Child training is 95% training the parent and 5% training the child".

I love his heart for the lost and his feet that he puts into action.

2013/10/23 23:40

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy