SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Critical Question

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

A Critical Question

Can our "actions"towards God change His "attitude" towards us"? Let's consider two witnesses from the Old Covenant and two from the New. Isaiah said -"In His love and mercy He redeemed them; He lifted them up and carried them all the days of old. Yet they rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit, so He turned and became their enemy and He Himself fought against them." The Lord, through Jeremiah said - "I took hold of their hand to lead them out of Egypt, but they did not abide in my covenant, so I disregarded them."

From the New Testament, we have these witnesses - In Hebrews we read - "The righteous one shall live by faith, but if he draws back, my soul has no pleasure in Him." In Romans we read - "Consider the kindness and severity of God, on those who fell, severity; but toward you kindness, if you continue in His kindness. Otherwise you also will be cut off."

Can our "actions" toward God change His "attitude" towards us? Yes? If we "humble" ourselves towards Him, He will give us grace; if we "harden" ourselves away from Him, He will give us wrath."

He shows no partiality - He will reward every man according to his deeds.

2013/10/7 11:30Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: A Critical Question

Quote: "Can our "actions" towards God change His "attitude" towards us"?

Maybe I would say: Our actions towards God do change His 'actions' (not attitude) toward us.

Can a mother stop loving her child? No, but her actions will change as demanded by the actions of her child.

2013/10/7 16:40Profile

Re:

The actions of Nineveh did change God's attitude towards them. His wrath was turned away. Makro makes a good point. And we see that Israel, many times repented and turned away God's wrath/anger from them.

God's attitude towards Hezekiah also changed (and there are many more such incidents).

2013/10/7 17:53
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

I agree that the OP makes a good point. I was just trying to define it more specifically to action rather than attitude, not disagreeing as such. Depends how you define attitude. It is an important (even critical)question.

With the Rich young ruler who chose not to leave all to follow Jesus, it says as he walked away that "Jesus Loved him". That is what I mean by God's attitude toward the sinner never changes, but His actions do, He let him walk!

We could ask, 'Does God change His mind?'

2013/10/8 4:18Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy