Discussion Forum : General Topics : Religion - proper views

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
lwpray

Sweden

Religion - proper views

Religion –
Not related to human effort, endeavour or performance,
but has to be regarded as belonging to the realm of Heavenly intervention for the sake of finalising the eternal purpose of God within the Creation.
Lars W.

2003/9/26 6:38Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Religion - proper views

I'm not sure what the connection is between religion and Christianity. I tend to regard the former as a man orientated system of obligations and ritual, the latter is a relationship with God through Christ.
I think the NT only uses the the word 'religion' in relation to Judaism. Once of Paul (Acts 26:5, Gal 1:13,14 is the word 'Judaism') and twice James uses it in a synagogue context, James 1:26,27) I think the latin word signified 'to be bound'.

2003/9/26 14:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I tend to regard the former as a man orientated system of obligations and ritual, the latter is a relationship with God through Christ.

I am not sure if I totally agree with you brother. I think that God has instituted the system of religion in the old testament for a purpose and most of the physical rituals were types of spiritual truths that we are experiencing in more potency in Christ. If you are so inclined I would like to discuss this more. ;-)

2003/9/26 15:32Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Let me try to clarify. I do not equate the OT law with Judaism. Judaism was a distortion of the acts of faith intended in OT sacrifice and practice. The Sinaitic law gave a system of 'sacramental' patterns and, as in all true sacraments, the outward was an act of obedience that provided a focus of faith. The Sinaitic law with its sacrificial and festal patterns was not Judaism. Judaism was a system of acquired merit. The OT patterns were revealed and instituted by God to be obeyed in faith; Judaism was a man-made, do-it-yourself system of achievements which God was expected to honour with salvation.

2003/9/26 18:46Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re:

I'm sure many of you have heard someone say (or have said yourself) at one point that "Christianity is not a religion, but a relationship." Raised Roman Catholic, I have always seen religion as rules, laws, buildings, and yes, being bound and restrained. I don't think of Christianity as my religion, but my faith. [Hopefully] all of us can say we've been freed, not bound and restricted.
I hate using the word religion unless I'm talking about hinduism, buddhism, taoism, islam, and yes, sometimes judaism. There is a vast separation from God and a great incompleteness to these religions -- there is especially an incompleteness in judaism.

2003/9/26 21:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy