SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : This Last-Day Remnant Church Will Be Comprised of Christians Who Refuse to Live by Bread Alone!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 This Last-Day Remnant Church Will Be Comprised of Christians Who Refuse to Live by Bread Alone!

If you think you're too ordinary for God to use, listen closely: God is not going to do His last-day work through big-name evangelists or pastors. They alone won't be able to handle the great moving of His Spirit! The fact is, God is going to need every housewife, teenager, elderly person and all who love Him to carry out His mighty work!

This last-day army is going to be made up of Christians who have been weaned from bread alone. Let me explain what I mean:

God said through Moses:

"...man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live" (Deuteronomy 8:3).

Jesus Himself quoted this verse when Satan tempted Him in the wilderness to turn stones into bread.

Bread stands for all natural, material things necessary for this life. These include food, shelter, clothes, labor, wages. Bread represents livelihood -- those earthly things we need that are not evil in themselves.

Now, the Lord knows we need all of these things. But multitudes of Christians live only for the things of this life! Their lives are wrapped up in their job, their house, paying the bills. And all their prayers are focused only on their needs -- their hurts, their problems, their desires. They live on bread alone!

Of course, it is honorable to have a job and to provide for your family. That's all a part of obeying the Word of God and living by every word that proceeds out of His mouth. But some Christians never get beyond bread. They spend a lifetime just surviving!

For example -- how many Christian young men and women spend all of their time thinking about their need for a mate? How much of their prayers is focused on asking God to fulfill their loneliness! They are living on bread alone.

How many married couples spend all of their time focused on trials and troubles with their children? This one matter consumes all their thoughts, all their prayers. They are focused on one need -- on bread!

Jesus did teach us to pray, "Give us this day our daily bread" (Matthew 6:11). But first He said we were to pray, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done..." (verse 10). We are to focus first on God's interests -- to pray for His will to be done!

What have you been thinking about more than anything else these past six months? What has consumed most of your time and prayers? Has it been mostly bread issues -- personal needs?

If you focus only on bread, then you have no life! You're living in a wilderness, as the children of Israel did. Each day they arose and began crying for bread. Yet, after God gave it to them, they cried for meat. They continually cried out for their personal needs to be met -- every day for forty years!

Beloved, that is boredom -- drudgery! God never intended that for His children. Instead, He told Israel through Moses, "You should be living by every word that proceeds out of My mouth! Yes, I told you I would give you bread. But don't stop there. Move on! I've told you there's a land ahead flowing with milk and honey, with rivers, trees, forests, green pastures. And I want that place for you!"

If your whole life is centered on survival -- if you're not shut in with Jesus, growing in His Word, preparing your heart as a bride adorned for her Husband -- then you have no life at all! You're bored, unfulfilled! You may come to church and receive a little bit of life here and there. But you are not giving life!

Right now God is raising up a people who are not focused on bread issues. Instead, they are focused on His will for this midnight hour! They are tired of living in a wilderness of mere survival. All they want is to know and do God's will. They are ordinary people who have been weaned from living on bread alone. Their training has come from the Holy Ghost -- in the secret closet of prayer!

Every member of this last-day army must be ready and prepared in heart -- because God is poised to release His great, final outpouring!

Before Jesus came, John the Baptist went forth "to make ready a people prepared for the Lord" (Luke 1:17). This was a preaching of repentance -- a call to people to prepare their hearts.

Paul also spoke of being "prepared unto every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21). And Samuel told Israel that God would do a new thing for them, if they would "prepare (their) hearts unto the Lord, and serve Him only" (1 Samuel 7:3). Also, David said, "Lord, thou hast heard the desire [petition] of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear" (Psalm 10:17).

In this last verse, David outlines a simple, three-step plan for knowing the Lord's mind and will for your life:

1. Petition Him (pray).

2. Prepare your heart to hear His voice.

3. He will cause you to know. The Spirit will speak to you!

Very soon, God is going to pour out of His glorious cup the greatest measure of His Spirit the world has ever seen. Great conviction will come upon your neighbors, coworkers and unsaved family members. The Holy Ghost is going to convict of sin, righteousness and judgment!

People everywhere are going to be hurting. And they're going to turn from their dead churches to seek out those who walk with God. They will be desperate to find someone whose heart has been prepared!

Beloved, you are one of those whom God is calling! He is going to use hundreds of thousands of ordinary servants for His end-time work of people-to-people ministry. So, I ask you: Are you preparing your heart right now for His work to be done, both in you and through you? Or are you just sitting by, enduring a wilderness life?

Confess to God today: "Oh, Lord -- I want my life to count! I know that right now I'm living in a wilderness of despair, on bread alone. But I want to live!"

Dive into His Word. Learn to seek Him daily. There is revolutionary power in the preparation of your heart! It is through this preparation that meaning and fullness come to your life. It changes your feelings, your personality -- and it releases power in you!

When God sees you are ready, He will bring to you great opportunities to do His work. You won't even have to leave your house. God will bring the needs right to your door!

But be warned: If you don't begin to seek Him, the Bible says, you will turn to evil. "And he did evil, because he prepared not his heart to seek the Lord" (2 Chronicles 12:14).

We serve a mighty God who at this very hour is preparing His people for a mighty work:

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea, roar; he shall prevail against his enemies" (Isaiah 42:13).

So prepare your heart to meet Him. Become a ready servant, equipped and prepared for his great, last-day outpouring. And you will see His glory come alive in you in this final hour!

Hallelujah!

from: http://www.tscpulpitseries.org/english/1990s/ts940523.html

2013/9/30 11:33Profile

Re: This Last-Day Remnant Church Will Be Comprised of Christians Who Refuse to Live b

Dear God, please grant that I be one who does not live by bread alone. But by every word that procedes from your mouth.

Blaine Scogin

2013/9/30 12:16

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy