SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : No Hell Bell to ‘Talk About God’ on Oprah Winfrey’s ‘Super Soul Sunday’

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 No Hell Bell to ‘Talk About God’ on Oprah Winfrey’s ‘Super Soul Sunday’

Rob Bell, author of the best-selling and controversial book Love Wins, which challenges Christian teachings on Hell, is set to appear on Oprah Winfrey’s Super Soul Sunday to discuss his new book What We Talk About When We Talk About God.

The Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) has announced that Bell recently sat down with Winfrey for a taping of the broadcast, which is set to air on November 3rd. The network outlined that Winfrey’s Emmy Award-winning show “presents an array of perspectives on what it means to be alive in today’s world,” by ”exploring themes and issues including happiness, personal fulfillment, wellness, spirituality and conscious living.”

Winfrey praised Bell in a post on her website, entitled What Oprah Knows for Sure About Spirituality.

“When Rob Bell—pastor, best-selling author, provocative thinker—recently joined me on the show, we talked for two and a half hours, and I could have kept going,” she wrote. “The ideas Rob sets forth in his books Love Wins and What We Talk About When We Talk About God opened my heart and my mind. People like him are the reason I set out to build OWN in the first place: to be able to gather a global community of like-minded seekers.”

Bell explains in his new book–the focus of the interview–his belief that “God is for every single one of us, regardless of our beliefs or perspectives or failures or mistakes.”

“I got an email from my friend Gary last year, saying that he’d decided to visit a church with his family… They’d heard a sermon about how resurrection means everybody who is gay is going to Hell,” he writes. “And then my friend Michael recently told me about hearing the leader of a large Christian denomination say that if you deny that God made the world in a literal six days, you are denying the rest of the Bible as well, because it doesn’t matter what science says.”

“Christians and a growing number of pastors–believing or trusting in that God, the one they’ve heard other Christians talk about, feels like a step backward, to an earlier, less informed and enlightened time, one that we’ve thankfully left behind,” Bell continues. “There’s a question that lurks in these stories, a question that an ever-increasing number of people across a broad range of backgrounds and perspectives are asking about God: Can God keep up with the modern world?”

read more: http://christiannews.net/2013/09/28/no-hell-bell-to-talk-about-god-on-oprah-winfreys-super-soul-sunday/

2013/9/28 19:31Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: No Hell Bell to ‘Talk About God’ on Oprah Winfrey’s ‘Super Soul Sunday’

So God really is dead after all. Hmm. I missed seeing the obituary, darn!

2013/9/29 0:59Profile

Re:

Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly: “I am looking for God! I am looking for God!” As many of those who did not believe in God were standing there, he exited considerable laughter from them. Have you lost him, then? said one. Did he lose his way like a child? said another. Or is he hiding? Is he afraid of us? Has he gone on a voyage? or emigrated? Thus they shouted and laughed.

The madman sprang into their midst and pierced them with his glances.

“Where has God gone?” he cried. “I shall tell you. We have killed him - you and I. We are his murderers. But how have we done this? How were we able to drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What did we do when we unchained the earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving now? Away from all suns? Are we not perpetually falling? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there any up or down left? Are we not straying as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is it not more and more night coming on all the time? Must not lanterns be lit in the morning? Do we not hear anything yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we not smell anything yet of God’s decomposition? Gods too decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become gods simply to be worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whosoever shall be born after us - for the sake of this deed he shall be part of a higher history than all history hitherto.”

Here the madman fell silent and again regarded his listeners; and they too were silent and stared at him in astonishment. At last he threw his lantern to the ground, and it broke and went out. “I have come too early,” he then said; “my time has not come yet. The tremendous event is still on its way, still traveling - it has not yet reached the ears of men. Lightning and thunder require time, the light of stars requires time, deeds require time even after they are done, before they can be seen and heard. This deed is still more distant from them than the distant stars - and yet they have done it themselves.”

Neiztsche

In context this is written in response to the beginnings of the real effect of the Theory of Evolution on Western Society. So wrote the man who by reason of natural prophetic trickery of words was both the mocker in the market place and the man with the lantern. What wickedness. It is the Lie and the Liar.

2013/9/29 1:45
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi amrkelly,

The great irony of it all (in terms of Neiztsche) is that God is NOT dead. He is very much alive -- no matter how many people try to "kill" Him by making graven, lifeless images of Him (made in their own likeness) and presenting that image of Him to the world.

In this day, we have men like Rob Bell who recreated a pliable god that aligns with their own "anything goes" and "love wins" minds and that caters to the selfish demands of an increasingly sinful and godless age.

We have prosperity preachers in Tulsa and from "Christian" television studios who have created a god that actually encourages us to lust for mammon and other things of this world.

We have Christian "personalities" who serve up an abstract god that cannot be understood. Such men are either afraid to tell the truth out of fear of losing their following and reputation or they are simply deaf and blind.

The "god" that they have created, prayed to and paraded is no different than the golden calf that was fashioned in the wilderness. However, instead of being shaped to look like a calf, it is fashioned after the vague, shapeless ideas of religious men and is formless yet glossy enough to reflect all of the current lusts of this age.

There are also those who have created a god who is worshiped and served through monotonous liturgy, ritualistic traditions and dogmatic obligations. This nearly inapproachable god is said to be happy with sacrifices OF obedience rather than a heart that wants -- above all -- nothing more from life than to know him.

Yes, each of these "gods" is dead. Each is nothing more than a formless mirror that reflects the flaws of humanity or whatever else they wish to see in it. He is powerless to stand up to the tides of science, evolution or discovery that questions his very existence or anything found in his rarely-read Word. The followers of this god will ultimately die away and their numbers will dwindle over generations -- just like the followers of Zeus and other fictional mythological deities.

Thankfully, we serve a Living God. He is undeterred by the forces of this world that rage so incessantly against Him. The "great" minds of this world will continue to try and advance to the point that they see a "different" creator -- from cosmic accident, universal law, statistical probability, etc... -- until they can eagerly pronounce that the soul, spirit and the eternal realm do not exist.

In Revelation, we read of end time "signs" in the heavens. These signs will baffle the great scientists and thinkers. Yet, even with such signs, the people of this age will not repent. They will gladly race through life in the hedonism that the old man-fashioned "god" seemed to understand and refrain from "judging."

How terrible it will be for those who breathe their last breath and find themselves face-to-face with the true Living God who was ALWAYS there -- always waiting for them to come to Him! The terror will be so sudden! In an instant, they will know that all of those gods (and ideas or notions about their gods) that were fashioned by man were dead and that the One true Living God -- the Creator of All things -- was as close as the mental mention of His Name! He could have been found by them if only they had wanted to search! But, by then, it will be too late!

Until then, they cling (either desperately or sincerely) to the image of a god that was fashioned by men OR to a hope that the true God of the Bible doesn't exist. It really is their only hope. It is the great gamble of the ages...but it is a terrible losing bet with eternal consequences. God could have been found by them, but they turned after their own lusts, thoughts and understanding.

We do need a revival in this dark world! We need a revival of men who will not create a God but who actually know God. They can present the God that they know to a lost and dying world -- including many in the Church -- who can be saved from the eternal gamble by turning to a God that is clearly presented to them in living detail.

In Eternity, even Friedrich Neiztsche knows the truth about the One true living God, the sacrifice that His Son made and His plan for creation! We will all kneel -- either in worshipful adoration or fearful acknowledgment. I pray that we find men and women who know God well enough to present a living God to a dying world.

2013/9/29 3:06Profile

Re:

Chris I agree with you completely.

For those who have passed through the veil God is most assuredly alive.

When I read words such as those by Neiztsche quoted above my mind does not dwell long on the circumstance in which they were written, nor even on the man who wrote them rather on the very last part "I have come too early".

"Here the madman fell silent and again regarded his listeners; and they too were silent and stared at him in astonishment. At last he threw his lantern to the ground, and it broke and went out. “I have come too early,” he then said; “my time has not come yet. The tremendous event is still on its way, still traveling - it has not yet reached the ears of men. Lightning and thunder require time, the light of stars requires time, deeds require time even after they are done, before they can be seen and heard. This deed is still more distant from them than the distant stars - and yet they have done it themselves.”"

These few words sum up the wickedness and full meaning of the inevitability of the man Nietzsche to both comprehend his own wickedness and the effect of the "unchaining of the sun" from the earth in his youth. In one of his letters written in his "madness" he orders the Emperor Wilhelm to go to Rome to be punished for Germany's sins by being shot and similarly ordered "in his madness" the European Powers to make war on Germany and destroy it. The irony in all of this is that whilst Nietzsche was undoubtably gripped by a form of madness from 1889 to his death 1900 he already understood the profound implications of the changes which were shaping Central European Society. In "prophesying" its ultimate effect he is doing only that which he understood internally that he himself had already transgressed too far and was already ruined in conscience and completely apostate. What he wrote for others he wrote in keeping with his new "spirit" an ambition to cast all men away from the light of the Sun and send them spinning into blackest darkness. His madness, was no doubt one of his own making. In wrestling with his conscience towards God, which he comprehended from his youth, by the hand of his Lutheran Pastor (His own natural father) he became a judge of God Himself and therein embraced Dionysian philosophy of the pure ancient greek thinkers in a dialectic of the mind which he expressed in all of his writings to his own destruction.

Hitler was a student of Nietzsche through his books and was so impressed by the stripping of morality and righteous meaning of life from the action of life itself that Hitler as the superman of Europe personally gave copies of Nietzsche's books to Mussolini and Stalin. Again Stalin once embraced the thought of training for the priesthood and Mussolini was brought up a Catholic. These men as with all men brought up with sufficient light in their lives to seek God chose to reject God by either denying him, as did Stalin, setting Him on a shelf as did Mussolini or else believing that He is some "other than god" and not God at all, as did Hitler.The latter is more true to the spirit of anti-christ. It is said that Nietzsche's last known public action was to embrace a horse which was being whipped in an effort to protect and comfort it from the brutality of its master. So did Nietzsche believe God Himself to be and so did he embrace another god altogether, one centred in the essence of fallen man. Only one who has reason to comprehend the righteous demand of God and His righteousness in some measure could in the end form such a view of God. They are the philosophers, prophets in all but calling and wicked men all by reason of effect.

When men such as Rob Bell make for themselves a god in their own likeness and to their own understanding they in fact reject the One True Living God altogether, if not for themselves then certainly for those who internalise their teachings and ambitions, they teach others to deny True God. They should be cursed unto death, yet God permits them due to the wickedness and hardness of mens hearts in our day, to press on to an end time effect and outcome. As Nietzsche said in finality "and they have done it themselves". I have no doubt that he knew that he was speaking of himself also, hence the eventual madness.

2013/9/29 7:50

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy