SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : To Whom is the Great Commission Given?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

To Whom is the Great Commission Given?

Mathew 28:!8-20
All authority had been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you and loI am always with you alwsys, even to the end of the age.

Mark 16:15
Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Luke 24:46-48
Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, and that repentence for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Acts 1:8
but you will recieve power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you and you will be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part if the earth.

When I was involved in Campus Crusade I was always taught the Great Comission was binding upon every follower of Jesus Christ. That is every "man" and "woman" had an obligation, yea were even commanded by Jesus Christ to go and preach the gospel.

It has always been my understanding that the command to evangelize had no gender exclusion. Doug opened a thread to address that question and the thread got into a quagmire of the role of women in the church.

Thus I open up a thread to address this question. Does the great commission to evangelize and disciple apply only to men. Or does the great commission to evangelize and disciple apply both to nen and women.

Please, this thread is only on the topic of evangelism. Can women evangelize? The other thread is addressing the role of women in the church. I would like to see Doug's question addressed in a fair way from God's word.

I want to encourage all, particularly the sisters, to participate. Please be in the Spirit and abide by SI guidelines.

Bearmaster.

2013/9/19 14:15
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: To Whom is the Great Comission Given?

Two women were the first to openly proclaim Jesus was risen from the dead. If that's not evangelism, I don't know what is.

2013/9/19 14:18Profile

Re:

Jim, Excellent point.

Bear.

2013/9/19 14:23

Re:

Sad, isn't it? That spiritual bigotry exists in a Kingdom where there is neither Jew nor Gentile, male nor female, but one NEW MAN?

The attention of some is on each other too much, and not enough on Christ (in us) Who is the ALL SUFFICIENT ONE.

And too many, when they look at sisters, see women instead of Christ and the same goes for how some look at men.

Gal_4:14 And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

How different the Church would be if we received each other as Christ Jesus instead of majoring on gender or age.

2013/9/19 15:28
passerby

Re:

I think some seems to be bias against women taking certain christian office or role because we cannot deny that there are really scriptural verses that in a plain sense support this stance.

We may not like these verses, nor understand why, but they are in the bible just the same, for us to contend with. Do we see them rather as stumbling blocks for the advancement of the kingdom of heaven? Do the Lord really need strong personalities to destroy the gates of hell?

2013/9/26 9:16Profile
passerby

Re:

Perhaps there is a lesson we can learn from 1 Samuel 13:5-14, for us not to easily set our feet where angels fear to tread.

2013/9/26 9:39Profile

Re: To Whom is the Great Commission Given?

Matthew 28:18–20 (NASB95)

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Unless I am mistakes there is a little more to this commissioning statement than a commandment to bear witness of Christ death and resurrection. It includes well……

You read it and make of the term disciple what you will. Just remember when you press in one place that believing is not the same as being a disciple you need some grade A oil to keep the thing moving on the friction of hypocrisy in another.

2013/9/26 11:40

Re:

The single Mom bringing her children up in the fear and admonition of the Lord, IS discipling them.

Sorry, amr, I have no idea what you meant.

2013/9/26 16:26

Re:

"The single Mom bringing her children up in the fear and admonition of the Lord, IS discipling them." Just-In

You seem to think that the issue here is male and female as usual. You appear to believe that my own comments here have to do with male and female. Well that is inevitable when someone is playing devils advocate in preference to comprehending spiritual realities. In this case the reality has to do with the Lord's words to the disciples. It is also reasonable to include in that all disciples of the Lord in all times, places even unto the end of the age. Yet this must remain the same in meaning as the original meaning itself.

The term "single mothers" is of course politically incorrect. If you were to embrace the "proper" term it would have to be single parent. Neither male nor female. Yet even in this regard the term simply disguises a societal norm. Fornication and its consequences. Widow and children would be too righteous a term and so even these men and women are labelled single parents. The real issue however is one of disguising something and making it a thing beyond moral authority or consequence in the minds of those nations which have embraced this philosophy of wickedness.

In your case it has of course to do with pressing a male and female understanding rather than a hiding of gender and therefore it is a somewhat less wicked thing than the "strong" version which Satan has managed to press onto the Western World that of "neither male nor female". You can see the similarity between in Christ "neither male nor female" or of Satan "neither male or female".

Tell me are you saying that a mother is the same in meaning as an evangelist? Save yourself the trouble of answering because it is clear already that this would be your answer if the question was simply left hanging. And you are not on your own either. In fact you are in some prestigious company. It is even pressed on this site as well. Having children and seeking to bring them up in the admonition and love of the Lord for a believer does not make them an evangelist. The gift and therefore the term evangelist itself has been reduced in meaning so that it is of itself a cover for the equally false teaching that every believer is an evangelist in the same way the Apostles were said to "make disciples of all men" were evangelists.

I have watched this happen with my own eyes and in reading into the history of churches and ministries I see that it has been true in every place by reason of running after men who flatter and are more concerned with inclusivity at all costs in visibility, rather than establishing biblical truth.

To be more specific to your comment that a single mother who brings her children up in the Lord is discipling them would have to be tested in reality before it could even carry any weight of justification. Yet even where it is true it is a false sense of the meaning of the Matthew passage Blaine quoted and asked a question about.

2013/9/27 6:08

Re:

I have yet to meet a believing brother who treats me like a sister. Being single, any contact is either on the lines of interest in me because he considers me attractive, or total withdrawal of contact when he considers me no longer of romantic interest.

2013/10/1 3:13

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy