SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why Do We Seem to Treat Holy Spirit with Less Reverence than the Father and the Son? ...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Again i ask ... What can i change the title of the thread to that will clear it for the question of the thread?

The classic orthodox designation has always been... the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Each person in the godhead may have separate titles attributed in the Scripture, but JHWH/Jehovah is the name of God.

2005/3/24 15:44Profile
Rahman

Re: Why Do We Seem to Treat Holy Spirit with Less Reverence than the Father and the S

Ok brother Ron,

i've changed it to "the Father" and "the Son" in the title, and also in the initial following text ...

You'd already banished me to my prayer closet, and i was getting just a little bit concerned as to where you might banish me next! ... :-P

All in Christ love tho ...

Br. R

2005/3/24 16:00Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:
Thats not to say that the Holy Spirit isnt important, of course He is. But if you find yourself in an environment where it's all about the Holy Spirit, and hardly about Christ at all... chances are, He aint there.

well the constant mention of Jesus is not necessarily evidence of His presence either. I feel that if the Holy spirit is truly there then so are all three.

2005/3/24 20:42Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re: Why Do We Seem to Treat Holy Spirit with Less Reverence than the Father and the S

I think that the Holy Spirit is overlooked a lot.

I'm not talking about speaking in tounges or a feeling either.

I'm talking about HIM.

He is not an "IT". Yet we say...Have you got it?

He is not a Dove.

He is not wind, nor fire, nor water, or any other substance.

He is a person.

He is the third part of the Godhead.

He is the triune God.

He IS GOD.

Just my thoughts.. :-)

2005/3/24 22:37Profile
dohzman

Where's the problem

I think basically most don't see the moving or giftings or manifestations of the Holy Spirit because of a lack of faith----You very seldom hear of the resurrection Of Jesus and yet Paul said that's where the manifest power was --in the preaching of the resurrection of Christ.Gal- says faith worketh by love(in connection with mircles) Jesus said in the last days the love of many would grow cold(because of offenses)--Love is the fuse lit that causes the dynamic of faith to explode in what outwardly appears to be a spontaneous manifestation of God's power( however the power was already ordained in a time of prayer with an open and honest heart before God). It was Smith Wigglesworth who used to sing a song that went like this : "No prayer no power, little prayer little power, much prayer much power". I see the vast majority of christians not settled in thier hearts that Jesus is really God. That's why such prayerlessness and because the resurrection isn't preached from most pulpits the Holy Spirit can't bring a conviction of the eternal nature of Christ as God as easily.

2005/3/25 2:32Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
He is the third part of the Godhead.

Sentry, I am not acting as the 'thought police' on this topic, but the nature of God is so important that I want to point out that 'technically', God, who is One, does not have [u]parts[/u]. Jesus was not part God and part man, but fully God and man at the same time. The usual phrase is the Third [u]Person[/u] of the Triune God. The 'triune God' is usually expressed as the Trinity.

2005/3/25 2:42Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Yes I agree.

Well said.

Was typing fast. :-)

2005/3/25 7:52Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
I am not acting as the 'thought police' on this topic

:-P

2005/3/26 11:08Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

It seems to me we want all the benefits of being in Christ or just one, getting into heaven. Very few of us want to get involved in the work which God has for us. We want to get into heaven and just be there, no crowns or rewards just getting in is cool. We are either unwilling (lazy, preferring to sit thumb in butt doing nothing) or unwilling, (don't care to do anything at all). No fire or desire to serve God so in effect, no need for the Holy spirit.

I don't know why we would be content to just get into heaven, that's just the bare minimum. God didn't make us just to save us, He has much bigger plan for us and we have to want to get involved with that. The work which God has for us is a demonstration of the wisdom of God for all creation, want to get involved? Seek the Spirit and be more than you think you can be.

2005/3/26 11:22Profile
Compton

Re: maybe

Quote:
We are either unwilling (lazy, preferring to sit thumb in butt doing nothing) or unwilling, (don't care to do anything at all).

I hear this alot. I'm not so sure this really is the problem. One thing I've learned from managing people is that most of us want to do a good job. Now and then someone is truly lazy, but I more often then not problem is not usually a lack of character.

Strong initiative and commitment from the members of an organization is usually hindered by systemic flaws. The management and organizational leadership are unwittingly blocking participation.

For instance our church culture may have developed hundreds of years ago when churches were more of a community hub, where people would come in and listen to the strong recognized authority of the pastor. Today that is no longer the case, but churches are still formatted the same way. So a Christian may be sincere and zealous to serve God but the only jobs the church seem to offer are working the soundboard or being an usher. So the Christian now has to look for Christian service outside of his church in a parachurch ministry or as an individual. This means being a part of two Christian organizations and additional time away from his family.

Meanwhile back at the Church the pastor who has a full time job maintaining the church is frustrated because all of his people seem so lazy. He has lost touch with people who work 40-60 hours a week. He exausts all of thier available time with meetings. He fails to notice that most of the laypeople spend all of their free time serving his agenda, while he as the pastor, spends all of his free time on himself.

In this scenario, everyone is frustrated with everyone else's lack of productivity. The irony is that everyone is too busy to even find time for prayer or reading thier bibles.

It is my belief that if leadership would reformatt the church from a "sitting" or stationary community, centered on "microphone ministries", to a mobile community, centered on "mercy ministries" with ready made opportunities for reaching the lost that Christians would line up around the block to participate. I don't think this will happen because of several intrinsic challenges to such a decentralized community that are contrary to how we view church.

Of course I am being simplistic. Not every church neatly fits my description. Clearly it is most imperitive that we pray and read our bibles. There can't be any light without oil in the lamp. That being the case, I think that a big part of the reason why Christians seem so unproductive for God is a systemic flaw: our churches are designed for sitting. They are designed for meetings, not encounters.

What you guys think?

MC

2005/3/26 16:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy