SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Outdoor Church Service at Homeless Park in Long Beach, CA

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Outdoor Church Service at Homeless Park in Long Beach, CA

I tried posting this earlier but the server was having issues with certain posts, so I figured I'd try again now.

This past Sunday I had the privilege of sharing the gospel at Lincoln Park in downtown Long Beach, CA, a nearby homeless park. There are usually around 50 to 200 homeless people there. I had planned on handing out free cold water bottles and conducting an outdoor church service. A few days beforehand I had shared my plans with a few believers whom I usually team up with in evangelism, in case they may be interested or led to come out with me to the park. I told them that if they felt led to come out they could call me to touch bases and plan the timing.

When Sunday came I had received no calls from anyone concerning the outreach, so I realized I was on my own (with the Lord of course). I was a bit nervous about going by myself, so I prayed about it. Part of me wanted to go forward and part of me didn't due to some fear of being alone out there and possible violence. After praying I still decided to go and trust the Lord to go before me and be with me.

I got there around 4 pm and started handing out the water bottles and setting up equipment. I set up a portable wooden pulpit, a portable amplifier, a small table with gospel tracts on it, a wooden cross that has on one side the words ‘Heaven Or Hell’ and on the other side the words ‘Jesus Bore Our Sins’, and a sign that had the Ten Commandments and the wording of Romans 6:23 on it.

On the mic I announced to everyone that I was handing out free cold waters and that in a few minutes there was going to be a church service. Around that time a drunken man asked me if he could speak on the mic, which I calmly denied him of, letting him know as respectfully as I could that it was strictly for the church service. This made him upset but thankfully he did not proceed to try anything physically; he only shouted a few things at me.

I announced that the service would start with some old familiar hymns and encouraged everyone to sing along if they knew the words. I started with Amazing Grace on the amplifier, then I played Power In The Blood, and finally Leaning On The Everlasting Arms. As the music was playing I noticed a few people were singing along.

After the hymns I preached a gospel message. After the message I encouraged people to come up for any prayer requests or to talk. A few people came up for prayer and to talk, and many others simply thanked me for coming.

It was an awesome and glorious time of sharing the gospel in that dark place! And to think that I almost did not go due to fear. I was reminded that I simply need to obey God and not my fears whenever He leads me to do something, even if it's by myself.

I am really praying and sensing that the Lord may want me to go regularly to that park. There seems to be a good open door for the gospel there at the moment. Wouldn't it be awesome if true revival came to that place and a church was planted in the area? Currently there are many apostate churches around there (approving homosexuality, etc.) and it's hard to find a decently solid church in the area. I know I need to seek the Lord fervently and diligently on this. I would sincerely ask for your prayers in that regard, that God would lead me and pour out His Spirit on me and on that place.

2013/9/11 23:31Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Outdoor Church Service at Homeless Park in Long Beach, CA

brother,

as per:

SI UPDATE: Forum posts not working properly
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=50256&forum=16

posts are not working if they are long. This will take at least 1 more day to solve and rectify.

2013/9/11 23:36Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Okay brother, my apologies. I thought it may have been fixed already. Praying. No hard feelings if you delete this thread.

blessings,
Oracio

2013/9/11 23:39Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

No problem dear brother. Do pray the Lord gives wisdom to solve this. Praise God for everything He allows for it is for our good.

2013/9/11 23:47Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy