SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Is Duck Dynasty a Good Example of Christianity?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
kjcword

Re:

COC is the church that the DD family belongs to. It was asked if their show is a good example of Christianity. Its debatable for some to even consider the COC as Christian.

The "c" in my user name is my middle initial in my name. Not sure why that's important to you.

Hope you understand this.

2013/9/2 1:02Profile
kjcword

Re:

COC is the church that the DD family belongs to. It was asked if their show is a good example of Christianity. Its debatable for some to even consider the COC as Christian.

The "c" in my user name is my middle initial in my name. Not sure why that's important to you.

Hope you understand this.

2013/9/2 1:03Profile

Re:

Their show is supposed to be about comedy not Christianity. You can maybe ask if their show is a good example of comedy. It seems you really want to ask if the COC is a good example of Christianity. Do you think the COC is a good example of Christianity? I don't know about the Robertson's personal faith walk.

You middle initial is not important to me, I was just curious because I thought KJ was King James and I couldn't figure out what the "C" was for. Now, I know KJ is not for King James.

2013/9/2 2:53
kjcword

Re:

I refer you back to the original question that someone asked. Do we think that DD is a good example of Christianity.
They didn't ask if we thought the show was a good example of comedy.

I personally have no problems with the show, I've only seen 1 episode. I'm only pointing out that COC has a history of not being considered Christian.

2013/9/2 10:02Profile

Re:

I think N. Korean saints under persecution would serve as better examples of Christianity.

My thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2013/9/2 10:08

Re:

So now we are comparing Christians with other Christians and we have been told in Corinthians not to do that. We lower our standards when Jesus is no longer the one we compare ourselves to.

I thought this was an interesting comment from Alan, Phil's oldest son on DD.

Alan noted that what people are exposed to by watching the TV show is the love that the Robertsons have for each other even when they have disagreements or different perspectives.

"When you see the show, you can tell we enjoy being around each other, and there's a prayer at the end, but you've kind of got to go a little deeper to find out what we really believe. And when you read Si's book, or you read dad's book, or you go hear one of us speak, then you know the real deal," Alan explained.

Elaborating on his Christian faith and the challenges it's brought him and Christine through, Si commented that he doesn't know to whom or what people turn to if they don't believe in God."

I think Alan sums it up pretty good, "you have to go a little deeper to find out what they really believe".

And he says,

"I think that without faith we wouldn't be that way," Alan affirmed. "We would've splintered apart a long time ago, and we wouldn't be together. So, obviously it's kept us together. One of the things that I like about the show is that it's subtle, and it kind of reminds me of when Jesus used to teach in parables. Jesus would lay out just a practical teaching, but you really had to dive a little deeper to know more about it. And I think it's that way with our family's faith."

Many in Jesus' time did not think He was a good example of representing God so they crucified Him.

Si says this,

"It's very humbling, number one," Si stated. "There's a lot of kids who look-up to me, and that's humbling. Because being human, I don't want to fail them. But being human, I will. That's why it's so important to have your faith put in something that won't fail you. And that means the son of God's kingdom."

I think they would be the first to say, they are not the example of Christianity that everyone should follow and that everyone should look to Christ.

I think the question we should all be concerned about is, "Are we a good example of Christ", but it always seems easier to talk about others and point the finger at them.

God bless the North Korean saints who I do not think would bash and criticize and compare others so that they could elevate themselves above others.

Sometimes, so-called Christians remind me of some rabbits that I used to raise. The mother rabbits would become fearful because they thought there was a predator in the barn and then they would eat their new born babies.

Galatians 5:15
But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

2013/9/2 11:01
Koheleth

NC

Re: Is Duck Dynasty a Good Example of Christianity?

Quote:
The show is wholesome comedy, but does not and is not supposed to reflect their real life. It's a comedy show.
Jesus is a good example of Christianity. We are to look to Him.

I agree with this quotation, although I would like to hear a report from his Father on how much time Jesus spent watching comedy. I believe his followers should spend the same amount of time.

Quote:
I hope no one comes on here and starts bad-mouthing DD.

Does this mean we should not discern and comment? Not label anything as Christian or non-Christian?

Quote:
They are much better than a lot of what is on tv these days.

That is not really saying anything positive.

This world is plunging to hell. Does comedy have any connection to "Blessed are those who mourn?" Is a reality show a profitable way to use the time the Lord is giving us? Paul said, "Redeem the time, because the days are evil."

I watched about 30 seconds of this show last week. I had seen so many references to it that I decided to see what it was. That was enough for me to know that I will not give it another 30 seconds in this life.

If there is a Christian who finds that the best thing they can do for the Lord is to watch this show, it is only because they haven't spoken with him lately. So dear friend, if you want to be with the Lord, I recommend you "diligently seek Him."

2013/9/2 12:12Profile

Re:

What you are watching is the interactions of a family that loves each other. It is a "reality show". They wrap it up at the end of the show and tell a little story about what they have learned regarding relationships and how important it is to love one another and forgive. I would not say it was comedy like some stand-up comedian. You are being a bit harsh, aren't you? You would not last in my home with legalistic judgments like that.

I love it when those who don't approve of what you are doing, will pull out "the world is going to hell" card and try to put guilt on you and condemn you. Who said the "best thing they can do for the Lord" is to watch the show? I have not seen anyone say that. Did you read someone say that?

Those who are super spiritual are characterized by love and mercy and patience and don't go around condemning people. If Jesus did not condemn people (John 3:17) then we are not qualified to condemn people. I would like to know how you encourage people.

There is no way you can say that if someone watches this show, they have not spoken with the Lord, lately. That's a ridiculous, legalistic judgement.

So, the world is plunging to hell,,, would you allow me to judge whether or not you are redeeming the time? You wouldn't mind, would you? I am eminently qualified to determine whether the pursuits you are involved in are vanity or not.

2013/9/2 19:08
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The plain truth is we would rather sadly in North America esteem and enjoy Duck Dynasty as a model of a fruitful Christen than godly missionaries from the past. Christians want to be entertained to death.

"Entertainment is the devils substitute for joy." - Leonard Ravenhill.

Praying for the lost, witnessing, godly discipline and other things need to be our focus not watching silly programs that have zero influence on our eternity and the eternity of others around us. The world has embraced Duck Dynasty Christianity because its not the Christianity of the Bible. Jesus Christ our Lord said if that the world did not accept Him neither will it accept us.

Oh saints wake up. The great apostasy is not coming it is upon us and will result in a new type of Christianity that is divorced from the true Jesus Christ and His Word.

2013/9/2 19:18Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Our lives as Christians should also reflect Scripture...

Ecc 3:4
A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;

Ecc 3:5
A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones; A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;

Ecc 3:6
A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;

Ecc 3:7
A time to tear,
And a time to sew; A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;

Ecc 3:8
A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace.

Life is filled with circumstances which are not always dire. How can one be sure that a witness for Christ on a show like Duck Dynasty has "zero influence on ...the eternity of others?"

2013/9/2 19:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy