SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sanctification is an Active Race and Pursuit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Sanctification is an Active Race and Pursuit

Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne if God.

Hebrews 12:14
Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.

As I have gone through the New Testament countless times I am coming to the conclusion that practical holiness or sanctfication is a pursuit. It is an active pursuit that could be likened to a race. Paul uses tbis imagery in 1 Cor. 9:24-27 and Phil. 3:7-16. The language in these passages convey an active pursuit of holiness. Of course the source of holiness is Jesus Himself. Thus the pursuit of Jesus is the pursuit of holiness or sanctification.

In Hebres 12:1-3 the race pursuit of Jesus the source of holiness is marvelously depicted. Here the writer leaves us with the picture of an ancient Greek athlete stripped to run a race. When I mean stripped I mean buck naked. For this was how Greek Olympic athletes competed in ancient times. They would come robed for the event. Then throw off everything to compete.

The illustration should be obvious to us. We are to pursue sanctification as an active quest. Not a passive state. In essence we are to strip ourselves of all encumberancez and sin and run that race that is set for us. We run the race with endurance. We run the race with our eyes fixed in Jesus. This is the active pursuit of sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.

Posted by Bearmaster.

2013/8/25 11:32
docs

Good thoughts

Sorry I don't have time to say much but I agree.

2013/9/3 21:59Profile
proudpapa

Re: Sanctification is an Active Race and Pursuit

The Bible seems to speak of sanctfication as reality for all whom are justified.

The question than becomes how does this reality start to manifest its self into my practical experience?

The Scriptures seem to me, to teach that it becomes practical reality the same as justification, and that is through faith in the operation and promises of God.

Hebrews 10:10
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Jude 1:1
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

1 Corinthians 6:11
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

sanctfication seems to be like justification we just need to believe the promises about it, and watch the fruit appear.

We must becareful as not to fall into a trap of trying to earn by will worship and voluntary humility, that in which is offered freely to us. (I am speaking from experience of recent relization of my own downfallings.)

good topic Bear one that I have been thinking much about the last few days.

2013/9/4 0:02Profile

Re:

Everything we receive from God is apprehended by faith. Saying it does not mean you have apprehended it. Spiritual realities of God's Word exists but may not exist in our lives as reality unless and until we apprehend (receive) it by faith.

Faith is what makes the unseen promises of God real in our lives.

2013/9/4 0:25
proudpapa

Re:

RE: ///Faith is what makes the unseen promises of God real in our lives///

Absolutely.

We must becareful as not to fall into a trap of having these rewards "promises" beguiled out of our hands by trying to attain these promises by means of asceticism.

2013/9/4 8:08Profile

Re:

In the Bible, those who were rewarded with divine manifestations (spiritual reality) in their lives were those who exercised simple faith in Christ.

Be as children...

2013/9/4 8:23
proudpapa

Re:

absolutely.

It is so easy to be removed from the simplicity of the gospel.

We need to see Jesus and be filled now. not 40 years of woundering in a wilderness of asceticism.

2013/9/4 8:37Profile

Re:

Amen, bro. Sure am glad Jesus did not stay in the wilderness to have "great experiences" with God.

He got back to the task at hand.

2013/9/4 9:19
yuehan

Re:

Very true, just-in!

If one wants to speak of an 'active' component to sanctification, it would be our active exercise of faith to lay hold of all the truths of God. And we are transformed as these truths are incorporated and assimilated into our being.

Romans 12:2 - "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

2013/9/4 11:07Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Sanctification seems to be like justification we just need to believe the promises about it.

Thank you Proudpapa for you precise and informative statements.

There great danger in trying to live the Holy life in your own strength (the flesh). You could call this “another gospel” one that has on the outside resembles the true gospel but at its heart denies the very power of the gospel. The false gospel denies that divine power is manifested through God’s Spirit, given through faith. The false gospel makes men return to a reliance on the flesh. The false gospel fails to remember that the Old Testament Law condemned men, and that salvation was always a matter of God’s promise, not men’s performance.

A false gospel says that what Christ did on the cross is inadequate to sanctify men in a sinful world as they seek to add Law-keeping to faith, and thus nullify grace altogether. Generally, we look for the heretic among those who openly advocate loose living and who openly attack the authority of the Word of God. However, we must also become more alert to the fact that Satan uses morality and purity as bait as often as he uses immorality and impurity.

The “doctrine of demons” in 1 Tim 4:1-4 deals with the denial of certain liberties in the name of holiness. So, too, in the Book of Colossians, denial and self-abuse are advocated as promoting purity, when they do just the opposite.

Judaizers sought to bring about purity and holiness through Law-keeping same and it’s the same today. Paul taught that the gospel brings about purity, through the work of Christ on the cross.

2013/9/4 14:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy