SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Basic Purpose of The Holy Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
inotof

Morehead, KY

Basic Purpose of The Holy Spirit

I know this is a pretty broad question, and i just want to get the SI crew's take on this, NOT START AND ARGUMENT...I'm gathering some course material on The Holy Spirit and wanted to know

What do you consider the Holy Spirit's primary purpose in the Church and in Your personal life?

(This is not a shot at anyone's theology, just want to see what the genreal concencus is) Also if anyone has any links or websites that have some solid info i would appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch for any help. On a personal note, I thank everyone that has posted things on this site and a huge thanks for those that moderate and maintain this site, it is a HUGE blessing!

2005/3/22 17:43Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Basic Purpose of The Holy Spirit

4 responsibilities:
1.represents legally the person
2.pleads the cause (what’s best for the person)
3.defends his name. (Character)
4.he guards and administers his property.
What is your relationship to the Holy Spirit? A great part of the Christian life is developing an awareness of the Holy Spirit in our day-to-day life’s.

There is an anointing in you and with you but also CAN come upon you.

In you – revelation of scriptures of Christ.
With you – as an advocate before us.
Upon you – power of God for service.

We cannot hinder the workings of the Holy Spirit in our heart. We just have to be willing to be used in many different ways. Once we are used once with a gift we should not demand or think we should walk in that way with that gifting.

WE are in the age of Pentecost but is Pentecost in us?

7 Workings of the Holy Spirit -

John 16:7-11
1.Conviction - The Spirit of God convicts of sin.

Acts 4:13, 6:15
2.Boldness – To produce boldness (fearing nothing).

Acts 5:3,9,13-14
3.Church Displine – To affect Church Displine. (a purity and holiness of the church will either attract or have people go away from the church).\

Acts 8:26-29
4.Authority to send out – The Holy Spirit is the one that has the strategy for the church.

Acts 15:28
5.Councils – The first council was resided over by the Holy Spirit.

Acts 16:6-10
6. Constrains Workers – We are inadequate to know where to go, but the Holy Spirit knows where we are to go.

Acts ?:28
7.Administrator – The Spirit of God is the ecclesiastical overseer.

Luke 11:9-13

V9 ask,seek,knock (present tense continual action)

Scorpions curl up into an little ball like an egg.

2005/3/22 18:59Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

There is a bit of scripture that is quite often overlooked concerning the work, and purposeof the Holy Spirit. That scripture is found in Ephesians 1:13-14.
Eph.1:13. in whom also you, hearing the Word of Truth, the gospel of our salvation, in whom also believing, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14. who is the earnest of our inheretince, to the redemption of the purchased possesion, to the praise of His glory.
I believe this means that the Holy Spirit is a kind of HUGE downpayment by the purchaser of our soul, as an ever present demonstration of His good faith. Am I right in thinking this?

Greg

2005/3/22 20:24Profile
dohzman

I was hoping some of the others would chime in on this one. But since they haven't I will.I think it was AW Tozer who said when ever you talk about God it like trying to take the ocean in your hand and share that it's the ocean, but I like short answers so here goes>>>>>In Jesus' own words: Jn16:7-15 real simple, The Holy Spirit in the World-believer-judgement of demonic activity. Hope that helps ya.Bro. Daryl

2005/3/22 21:52Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:
What do you consider the Holy Spirit's primary purpose in the Church and in Your personal life?

I have forgotten who originally said this but He is 'the Divine Executive'. He is God on the move, bringing and sustaining life, guarding and guiding the life that He has brought.

In the consistent language of the NT, The Father and the Son are enthroned on high until the final days. The Holy Spirit is sent forth into all the earth. He convicts and consoles. Everything that we 'know' of God is communicated to us by the Holy Spirit. He is the uniting Spirit who 'in spirit' joins us to the Father and the Son and the saints.

He reveals God to us; Father, Son and Spirit. In the Church He seeks to reveal the nature of the Godhead, and so too, in the individual. He is the Spirit of Life; without Him all is dead. To pick up Greg's comment, His primary role is that of Advocate; He represents the Father and the Son to us. All our dealings with the Godhead are through the Spirit.

2005/3/23 3:17Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re: Thanks~

Great informitvie, confirming, answers! Thank you all!

2005/3/23 9:10Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

[i]"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."[/i] - Acts 1:8

I believe the Holy Spirit has come to fill us with power, yes, but this power is ultimately to make us witnesses to the world. The Spirit has come for the goal of convicting the world of sin and converting it to Jesus Christ.

2005/3/23 10:48Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

The spirit has come to tie us to GOd in an unprecedented way. Christ through the spirit becomes
for us the holiness, righteousness and perfection that God requires of us. It allows us by ministering to know the things of GOd which are spirit and to know His will that it can be done.

2005/3/23 13:40Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

there's another disussion entitled "the spirit" in this same section of the forum if anyone wants to check it out.

2005/3/23 13:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy