SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Need a Fill?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Need a Fill?

I've heard many say, as im sure you have too, everyman has a God shaped vaccum in their heart. Or everyone has a void that only God can fill. How scriptural is this? It doesnt seem to be to me but can some one show me the scriptures that oppose/confirm this? Isnt there a scripture that says no man seeks righteousness or something to that nature?

Is this just some attept to preach the gospel as some psychological persuasion to use God to make you feel complete which appeals to your intelect instead of your spirit? It just seems that so many people see that man has greed for money and make God as a way to "fill that void". Money is just an example you could go on for hours...

What does everyone think?

2005/3/22 13:49Profile
geddingsm

south carolina

Re: Need a Fill?

There is certainly a "God-sized" hole in anyone who is not truly saved simply from the condition of their heart. The first description of their heart that comes to mind is Ephesians 2:1-3, but there are others.
The term is used too much as a "catchphrase" to draw men to Jesus. The Holy Spirit convicts of sin through the law and that is what brings men to repentance.
To try and use the "Godhole" method is one way you end up with so many false conversions.

Yours in Christ,
geddingsm

2005/3/22 14:18Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re: Need a Fill?

I think that indeed we were made to fellowship with God, however i think that the "God Shaped Hole" is somewhat of a flawed argument. You mentioned "greed", that man goes and hordes up money because of a God shaped hole-but in reality it is just the flesh doing what the flesh does. there is no good thing in the flesh.
To use the God shaped hole, and i have been guilty in times past of using it, makes our sin, to a degree, justified and does not force us to recognize our own sinfulness and rebelion towards God. God will draw us, if that is the vaccum you mean, then i can see where it would makes sense, however if we're talking about opeing a conversaton with "You're addicted to drugs because there is a God shaped hole in you you are trying to fill.. . " I think that is a dangerous way to start a presentation of the Gospel because it rationalizes the sin and trivializes the sacrifice to cure it. just my 2 cents

2005/3/22 14:27Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I agree that we are made to fellowship with God. So I guess in a since there is a disire.. but i guess my main question or thought is that is just doenst seem like a valid way to preach the Gospel.. and thoughts?

EDIT: Now that I am thinking.. I never had a disire at all for God when I was a sinner. The only disire I had was to make people think I was ok.

2005/3/22 14:39Profile
Compton

Re: "There's a God shaped hole in mans heart and...

...we're waiting for a report from Ballistics, and we hope to be able to announce an arrest soon."

Just a funny quote I found on the internet....

The original phrase "God-shaped hole in human consciousness" came from Jean-Paul Sartre, the French existentialist. He used the concept in several instances and had variations on it like this...

"...our existential dilemma would leave humanity conscious of a hole the size of God."

The concept was picked up and softened by evangelicals to reflect mans' need for God I suppose. 'Sartre never intend it to be a prayful reflection about how mankind can only find true meaning in God. His philosophy was much colder and darker...

"Life has no meaning the moment you loose the illusion of being eternal....Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." (L'Être et le Néant / Being and Nothingness, 1943)

After that I think I need to read some Psalms...

Here is a more famous and faithful quote by Augustine.

...Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee.

This is beautiful quote in its' proper place. However, I think Augustine would agree that prioritizing man's thirst for personal fulfillment over and before Gods' right to glory is a weak foundation for preaching and accepting the gospel...

MC

2005/3/22 15:00Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Granite vrs Clay

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
... but i guess my main question or thought is that is just doenst seem like a valid way to preach the Gospel.. and thoughts?

I agree, 'but' sometimes all someone needs to hear is that they were made for a purpose and there is something special about them. That someone loves them. The people in these states do not need someone to tell them that they are bad, they know they are. The stench of the death of sin, permeates their whole life until the message of the saviours love and grace breaks them out of it. Even in this state, truth of such nature can only be received by inspiration of the Holy Ghost.

2005/3/22 15:18Profile

Re: Granite vrs Clay

There isnt any scripture that I know of that backs up the "God-hole" persuation method of evangelism. When I was not saved I didnt think I had a void in my life at all. I was happily going my own way. I believed in God, but believed that everybody went to heaven by doing good things once in awhile.

My wife received Christ while I was in Kuwait (I was a Marine in the late 80's, early 90's) and it wasnt until she began to witness to me thru letters that I began to consider that maybe I wasnt a good person after all. I fought it for a long time, almost 2 years. We almost divorced over it.

Finally the Holy Spirit got a hold of me, and I came to realize what a wretch I am without Jesus' [b]blood[/b] washing away my sin.

It wasnt a hole. I didnt have a desire to chase after anything spiritual. I didnt feel like I was missing anything. I thought I was just living life. I was trained to depend on my brothers in the Corp, and to depend on myself, and not much more.

I needed to be shown my own sin, and needed to realize what it was that Christ went thru in order to offer me forgiveness as a free gift.

So me personally... I dont by into the "God-hole" tactic. I believe most unbelievers dont believe they are lost. The Bible is pretty clear that no one seeks after righteousness. Everyone does what seems right to them.

Krispy

2005/3/22 16:32
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

When I was a sinner, I never felt void of anything. I new I was going to hell, but just didnt really care. I felt great most of the time. But it wasnt untill i was shook by God that I cared about my own soul. To me I never felt a need for God to fill a void in me.. I needed Him to do more that just patchwork. I needed changed.

2005/3/22 16:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy