SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : advice for a christian fiction writer?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

advice for a christian fiction writer?

Someone I know who is considering entering into the writing field as a way of making a money to help add to her family income. Her husband dose work and she is a stay at home mom. She is a Christian and I believe she loves the Lord very much, this is where her conflict comes into play. She has written several fiction stories that would be considered historical romance. They are not written from a Christian point of view, but they are clean stories no language or inappropriate material in them. She has asked me if I thought it would be wrong for her to attempt to publish her stories through amazon since they have no real value in furthering the Kingdom(her words) I am not sure how to answer her. I personally do read some fiction novels so I can not say that I believe she would be in sin and yet like her I feel conflicted on how to advise her??

any thoughts
God bless
mj

2013/8/20 11:35Profile
dohzman

Re: advice for a christian fiction writer?

I think she should go for it, if The Lord is not in it or He either opens the door or shuts the door it will have been a good experience as long as she can rest in the Lordship of Christ through the entire process as well as the results. Just my personal opinion.

2013/8/20 15:47Profile
Sree

I don't think I am old or even mature enough to answer this question. But in matters such as these, she has to check if she has the peace of God in what she does.

Col 3-15:-Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body

If there is no peace in this decision then it may not God's will.

2013/8/20 17:15Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

That seems a lot to me like asking if a person should go to work at their job at Wal-Mart since their job does not directly impact the kingdom of God. Writing is a rare talent. Through that occupation she can supply the kingdom financially and who knows but what God may also use her to impact people through writing as well. There is no contradiction there.

2013/8/20 19:11Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Thank you for the replies, I will pass along what has been shared for her to pray and consider before the Lord.

God bless
mj

2013/8/20 21:01Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Christian Fiction

Nobody likes all of Christian fiction, it always offends someone's theology or personal taste- yet people love to read a good story and will fall in love with well crafted characters.

It seems to work well for Frank Peretti...?

2013/8/20 21:52Profile
MaryJane

Re:

I think I realize that I wasn't clear in my original post and that may have caused some confusion. The conflict my friend is feeling about doing this is because her writing is NOT christian based. She herself is a christian but her stories are historical/modern romance stories that are not faith based. She would be writing secular fiction that is free from bad language and inappropriate content.

God bless
mj

2013/8/20 22:03Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

That seems a lot to me like asking if a person should go to work at their job at Wal-Mart since their job does not directly impact the kingdom of God. Writing is a rare talent. Through that occupation she can supply the kingdom financially and who knows but what God may also use her to impact people through writing as well. There is no contradiction there.

There is a difference between doing a secular job and writing secular stories. No one is affected by my secular job, I do it , i earn my living and I support my families. Jesus himself had a secular job (Carpentry). But when I make my living by writing romantic stories that are to be read by some innocent Christians who will spend their wealthy time on reading novels rather than reading God's word, it is different story. The entire entertainment industry is controlled by Satan including story books.

I am just pointing out the difference, I am not suggesting anything here. Please see my previous post for my sand on this.

2013/8/20 22:20Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

Have no fear, MaryJane! This is Sermon Index, and we thrive on confusion...

Writing for money is tricky, it would serve her well to talk with publishing/ distributing types to get a feel for how to market her work. Lots of people will pick up an interesting looking paperback to ease the boredom of a 4 hour flight, but they want action, some blood, and sweaty heart-pumping illicit sex. That may go against her grain- hopefully- but there is room for a good sleuth or punchy humor like Janet Evanovich.

My advice would be to start with a complete story line, well thought out with perhaps two or three merging elements, then have fun filling in the details. Just don't add tangental details the aren't integral parts of either the story or the characters, and make the characters into believable people one either loves or hates.

Keep us posted if she gets something interesting going.

2013/8/20 22:29Profile
MaryJane

Re:

I shared the replies that were given here with her. I think she still feels confused on what she wants to do. I told her in the end she has to follow the Lord's leading in this. I know she is praying about it. She already has one completed work done, and is trying to decide how to proceed with it. It is a difficult decision and I don't feel like I have a sure answer to give her but wanted to say thank you to those who replied.

God bless
mj

2013/8/21 12:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy