SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : CROSS THE BARRIERS AND MOVE FORWARD

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
OnwardUpward

CROSS THE BARRIERS AND MOVE FORWARD

“Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal to win the prize." (Philippians 3: 13)

Most of the experts in middle-distance running in 1950's were more interested in maintaining the four-minute mile barrier. But Roger Bannister wanted to break the barrier. At that time, he was a full time medical student. He had no free time to run, so he carefully planned out the lunch break and trained for only thirty minutes at a time, three or four times per week. When he finally broke through the impossible four-minute mile barrier, he did it on a day that was so windy that officials nearly called off the attempt. Despite the obstacles, on May 6, 1954 Roger Bannister became the first man to break the four-minute mile barrier with a record time of 3.59.4! In recent times, “Sports Illustrated” rated Bannister's breakthrough as the most significant athletic feat of the 20th century (Shared with the first ascent of Mount Everest!) Bannister who came from a poor working class family, also managed to complete his medical training and become one of England's most prestigious neurologists and researchers. He tapped his medical training to devise controversial new athletic training techniques that are still used today. Dr.Bannister was awarded knighthood in 1975 for his medical contributions.

Dear friends, Roger Bannister had to break through several strongholds in his day to attain his goal. Even in our spiritual lives we have many barriers which prevent us from moving forward. The Israelites wandered in the wilderness needlessly for forty years because they failed to look beyond the obstacle. They believed in the bad report spread by ten spies. But Joshua and Caleb were different. They trusted God’s promise, and hence they possessed the promised land. Let us break through the barriers of the past. God has created us to overcome challenges. If we believe, all things are possible. So, let us enlarge our vision, stretch our faith, trust God's Word and be willing to take risk. Let us set our mind positively to move towards victory.

PRAYER : Heavenly Father, help me to overcome all barriers in my spiritual life. You have created me to be a conqueror through Jesus Christ. Let me not settle down for an ordinary life but let me enlarge my vision and move forwards to reach the goal. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

-----
Courtesy: Honey drops for the day.

2013/8/20 0:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy