SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Abraham, My Friend_62 (last devotion)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Abraham, My Friend_62 (last devotion)

Abraham, My Friend
The Making of a Praying Man_62

Rebekah arose… and followed the man

The prodigal ‘arose and came to his father’; Rebekah arises and ‘follows the man’ whose responsibility is much like that that Paul expressed;For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. (2Co 11:2 KJV) He will now watch over her with scrupulous vigilance until he can place her in the care of her betrothed husband. As a consequence we shall be able to see some links between the history of Isaac’s bride and Christ’s. There is a Psalm and a whole Bible book which will help us to make the connections. The Psalm is 45, the book the Song of Songs. Just a word of caution before we begin; the ‘Bride of Christ’ is a phrase never used of individuals or local churches, but always of the whole body of Christ. Isn’t this confusing the pictures to speak of brides and bodies in the same breath? Not if we recall that Adam’s bride was ‘bone of his bones, and flesh of his flesh’.

Charles Wesley wrote a wonderful hymn capturing all this rich imagery;See there the quickening Cause of all
Who live the life of grace beneath!
God caused on Him the sleep to fall,
And lo, His eyes are closed in death!

He sleeps: and from His open side
The mingled blood and water flow;
They both give being to His bride,
And wash His church as white as snow.We cannot pause to pursue the theme here.

Psalm 45 has the title ‘a Song of Loves’; note the plural. It is a song of two loves; the love of the Bride for her Bridegroom, and the love of the Bridegroom for His Bride. The Bride has eyes only for Her Bridegroom; and He for her. The first half of the psalm describes the Bridegroom whose garments have a unique perfume; you would scent Him before you saw Him. The odour is unmistakably His. His person evokes the scent, and His scent evokes the person. It is the opening theme of the Song of Songs;Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee. (Son 1:3 KJV) The man and his sweet savour were one and the same. To speak his name was to smell the familiar scents of a hundred encounters. Perfumes have the power to evoke memories; some memories have the power to evoke perfumes.

The Bridegroom of Psalm 45 is a King; He has entered into His inheritance. His reign is settled and secure. It is an image of Him who has ascended to His Father’s throne and the writer to the Hebrews uses the language of this psalm to confirm the truth;But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: (Heb 1:8-10 KJV) Christ has received His High-Priestly anointing and is now Priest-King forever, after the pattern of Melchizedek; the sweet smell of the anointing oil pervades the Temple-Palace. All the images begin to blend together, as another wonderful hymnwriter expressed it; 1. Join all the glorious names
Of wisdom, love, and power,
That ever mortals knew,
That angels ever bore:
All are too mean to speak His worth,
To poor to set my Savior forth.

8. Jesus, my great High Priest,
Offered His blood, and died;
My guilty conscience seeks
No sacrifice beside:
His powerful blood did once atone,
And now it pleads before the throne.

9. My Advocate appears
For my defense on high;
The Father bows his ears,
And lays his thunder by:
Not all that hell or sin can say
Shall turn his heart, his love away.

10. My dear almighty Lord,
My Conqueror and my King,
Thy scepter and Thy sword,
Thy reigning grace I sing:
Thine is the power; behold I sit
In willing bonds beneath Thy feet. There are 12 verses to this hymn. If your church sings 6 you are being short-changed! No one image can set forth all that there is to be said, but at times the images blend wonderfully.

The Bridegroom begins to speak to His Bride;Hearken, O daughter, and consider, and incline thine ear; forget also thine own people, and thy father's house; (Psa 45:10 KJV) The Bride must turn her back on all the past and its associations. Like the man, the woman too, must leave and cleave. Rebekah can never be the Bride if she remains in her old country and among her own people.

The Bride of Christ is a people that has left all the old ways; And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood [u]out of[/u] every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; (Rev 5:9 KJV) This is the Greek word ‘ek’ or ‘ex’. Did you know that the Church of Christ is made up of ‘ex-es’? ex-kindred/tribe/clan, ex-language groups, ex-people groups, ex-nationals/ethnics. They were ‘no-people’ who have become the ‘people of God’. Rebekah, the Bride of Psalm 45, the Church of Christ must all put their people and their father’s house behind them. Behold, all things are made new. It does not mean that we will not retain an affection for our ‘roots’ but it can never take precedence over the new roots, and all the old relationships must fade into insignificance in the light of this new relationship; If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (Luk 14:26 KJV) I wonder how many natural marriages have foundered because one partner refused to ‘leave’ when they ‘cleaved’? They bring into their marriage, mothers, or sisters, or old memories, and in effect, do not ‘forsake all others’; three is one too many in any marriage.

So And Rebekah arose, and her damsels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man: and the servant took Rebekah, and went his way. (Gen 24:61 KJV) She followed and He took her; what a lovely picture of separate but interdependent action. So Rebekah retraces the steps of Abraham all those years before who obeyed the word Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: (Gen 12:1 KJV) There can be no continuing link between the old and the new; Abraham must leave it, Isaac must never return to it, and now Rebekah must ‘leave’ too, before she can ‘cleave’. Every step brings her closer to her Bridegroom, and every step takes her farther away from all her yesterdays. Old things have passed away, behold, all things are become new. If we will only ‘follow’, He will ‘take us’.

The Bride of Psalm 45 is not only richly dressed, she is also ‘glorious within’. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself [u]a glorious church[/u], not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. (Eph 5:25-27 KJV)This is the work of the Spirit today, to prepare a Bride for the Lamb, and it is the work of those who understand God’s purposes;Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily. (Col 1:25-29 KJV)The Servant brings Rebekah to her Bridegroom at just the moment when the Bridegroom is walking in the fields ‘to meet us’. I cannot read the verse without hearing Paul’s words; For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (1Th 4:16-17 KJV) Oh with what longing our heavenly Isaac awaits this moment. As soon as Rebekah sees him and knows him she dismounts, replaces her veil and walks towards him; it is one of the most romantic moments in the Bible, but not as romantic as 1 Thess 4:16,17 above. Servant and the Father’s Son speak of the journey; what a journey it has been, thousands of years… and Isaac takes her and brings her into the privacy of his mother’s tent; it becomes their Bridal chamber, and we can follow them no further. The tent door flaps shut and Bride and Bridegroom vanish from our curious eyes.
… the king hath brought me into his chambers: we will be glad and rejoice in thee, we will remember thy love more than wine: the upright love thee. (Son 1:4b KJV)She has lost everything, Rebekah. All she has is simply the result of her unique relationship to the Father’s Son. Listen to a Bride; “My beloved is mine, and I am his: he feedeth among the lilies. Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, turn, my beloved, and be thou like a roe or a young hart upon the mountains of Bether.” (Son 2:16-17 KJV) Treasures, cities, thrones, powers, inheritance, they all pale into insignificance; "My beloved is mine, and I am His".

This is the end of our story. The next chapter ties up a few ends, and Abraham’s death is followed by the simple account of his burial. Faithful Abraham, like David after him, “served his generation by the will of God and fell asleep”. His body sleeps where it was planted but Abraham has found his city, and when faith comes and we discover that we have already come, not to a smoking mountain…But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. (Heb 12:22-24 KJV)...we discover the spirits of just men made perfect. Abraham was not left behind; he is home.

Did I say this was the end of our story? Surely not, it is only the end of time’s story; the next chapters belong to the Son and His Bride. This is only the end of the beginning.Thou dost seek a Bride all pure and holy;
Those who now belong to Thee alone.
Those who give thee all their hearts’ affection;
Of Thyself, a part; bone of Thy bone.[i]Lord, we answer to Thy heart’s deep longing,
Even so, come quickly” Lord we say.
In our hearts we have the blessed answer;
Rise My love, my fair one. Come away.[/i]Drawn from every nation, tribe and kindred
By Thy Spirit’s mighty power.
Finding rest in Thee, God’s great salvation,
Waits Thy Bride, for Thine appointed hour.

Sharing with Thee, in this world’s rejection.
Putting on the death to gain a crown
By thy Blood and Word, they’re overcomers
With Thee, in Thy Throne, they shall sit down.

2005/3/22 6:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Abraham, My Friend_62

Quote:
Did I say this was the end of our story? Surely not, it is only the end of time’s story; the next chapters belong to the Son and His Bride. This is only the end of the beginning.

Well I as it is said all good things must come to an end, but I think rather that this devotional will continue to lead us onwards into the life of faith towards the unchanging experience of being in the presence of our God and creator in the heavenly country. Much thanks for all the time put into these brother Ron, we are indebted to you at SI.

Thank you Ron for this last devotional part of this series!

2005/3/22 12:16Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Thank you Ron for this last devotional part of this series!

Just so people realize this is the [b]LAST[/b] installment of this "Abraham, My Friend; The Making of a Praying Man" series lead by Ron Bailey. It has been a personally blessing to me and if it has touched you and bless you please share here...

2005/3/31 17:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy