SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Is Reading the Scriptures More Important To Us Than Eating Daily Food

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Is Reading the Scriptures More Important To Us Than Eating Daily Food

For many Christians in countries with no persecution, having a Bible—the full Scriptures—is often not appreciated. We do not realize that the Bible is our greatest physical treasure in this world. In persecuted nations our sisters and brothers weep over the Word of God and often only have parts of the New Testament or literally scraps of paper with copied Scripture verses on them. Yet for some in the body of Christ there is great abundant access to full Bibles in literally hundreds of translations.

Amazingly, access to God’s holy Word, in many languages and many countries in the world, has increased immeasurably via computers, whether on digital devices or in audio form, or in book form. Yet sadly, compared to the Christians in other persecuted countries we have the least desire and love to read the Scriptures. As blood bought followers of Jesus Christ our life is not our own

and therefore we should have the desire to be in the Word of God daily. Even beyond that of our appetite to eat, the Scriptures should take precedent over anything else in our daily lives.

One reason for the lack of intense Bible study is the fact that we really do not believe what is written in the Book. If we truly believed the Scriptures and that the life to come matters much more than this life

then we would be more diligent to be steeped in what God desires of us now and for eternity.

Scriptures say we cannot live by bread alone but by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

We need physical food and spiritual food. If we count the time it takes to eat physical food three times a day, and if we were to spend the same time every day to take in spiritual food—by reading the Word of God—we would have personal revival.

2013/8/8 21:01Profile

Re: Is Reading the Scriptures More Important To Us Than Eating Daily Food

Well, Amen!

In addition (not just reading), when we hear it (from the Spirit) we must do it.

Luke_8:21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.

Those in persecuted countries may not be able to read it, but they continue to hear the word of God from the Holy Spirit.

The internal presence of the Lord is what differentiates Christianity from other belief systems that have a book.

2013/8/9 9:29
ArthurRosh

Re:

Just like the children of God had to get their daily mana every morning the children of God now must get their daily bread (Jesus) every morning.

He who runs from God in the morning will scarcely find Him the rest of the day.
- John Bunyan

2013/8/9 10:28Profile

Re: Meanibgful Quotes About the Word of God

"People whose lives are centered around Christ don't just study the Bible to be smarter. They see that every single page of His Word is stained with the crisiom blood of Jesus Himself. Suddenly the Bible isn't a text to be studied but a source of life for a withering branch.". By Eric Sanders in his book Buck Naked Faith.

"In chains, sometimes in straightjackets and gagged, awaiting the exercise of death as often as the cell door was opened we (imprisoned Christians) thought about God's Word." By Richatd Wornbrandt

2013/8/9 11:02

Re: Is Reading the Scriptures More Important To Us Than Eating Daily Food

oh Praise God!!!

just the title ALONE captures my heart, I haven't even read the body of the article, or what you or somebody else wrote...JUST the title ALONE made my heart leap!

when I tell family...or friends, that every morning, in the EARLY morning, 4, 5 AM, I start the day by "reading the Bible"....and that always seems inadequate by saying/writing that I "read" the Bible....because what my spirit feels is that I am "eating" of the Word....and how can I say, that this "eating" is as necessary to me, as if I was talking about eating physical food to stay alive?

Then, when I think of this, instead of having a sort of reflexive "superiority" to others, I am overcome by gratitude, Love and Thanks to and for God...FOR this Gift.....because IT IS A GIFT, from God the Holy Spirit!!

and those early morning hours?...how can I even describe in human words WHAT goes on between me and Yahweh, between Jesus and me...I don't only read/eat of the Word...I also am given the Divine Privilege of talking with God....and what I would LOVE to tell ANYONE...EVERYONE...is that YOU can have This Gift as well!!

but tragically, that's not the case...oh so tragically.

You know...I hear people talking about what is called "predestination"....and I ALWAYS veer AWAY from any "doctrine" discussions...I get very uncomfortable "arguing" the Deep Things of God....but sometimes I DO wonder.....why me, O LORD?

Jesus knows I love Him SO MUCH...Yahweh the Father, God the Holy Ghost...His steadfast love and faithfulness...His Beauty, Majesty, Mystery, Simplicity....the very Mind of God...I get consumed with Love for Him....and in that process, and FILLED with love for all His children....and I mean ALL.....when I see the most hard hearted atheist, or even some hard core Islamic jihadist raving about taking out my beloved Israel....I don't even get angry...or bloodthirsty..or frightened...I just get SAD....filled with grief....its like that Moment on the Cross, "forgive them Father, they know not what they do"...because His Heart is now my heart....or do you remember when Jesus was talking about His Flesh being real food?....and people just LEAVING...it was a Teaching that "too hard for them"...amd Messiah turns to the 12, and says, you want to go too?...and I love what Peter says..."where can we go to...Whom can we go to?"

Basically saying...once Called?...its about..NO CHOICE. You have NO CHOICE once Messiah calls you...you see, I believe that what Revival, in its true and pure form DOES...God DEIGNS to come down and saturate a particular area, and people. convicts them of their hopeless and helpless state, reveals His Call, Reveals His Mercy, Steadfast Love and Faithfulness, Reveals His Son, TO and IN them....then they are left alone with THE Decision...I cant explain it...I know what happened to me...alone, in a house trailer, on a lonely mountainside, and Jesus "took" me...what can I say?

all I can do is testify....then all I can do is do everything for the Glorification of His Name, which means to be a Son of the Light...walk in the Light, in the Way. Because He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

I did not heed His Call as a cheap and easy "get out of hell free card".....I had NO CHOICE, and what a Blessed Call It is!!!! do I stumble? yes....do I sometimes fail? yes, but He knows, that in my smallness I am a man after His Own Heart.....now i'll read the body of your post, my dear brother.

let me tell you why I haven't yet read Gospel Fellowships...I got caught up in "Why Revival Tarries"...THEN I get caught up in "Revival Praying"...now I just got that E.M. Bounds compilation that brother Len did called, "A Treasury of Prayer".....and I want to give Gospel Fellowships, my WHOLE heart mind and soul...BECAUSE

we go to do something.....first thing, as I am led, is that we all, each to ourselves HAVE TO burnish and refurbish OUR OWN ministries of secret travailing prayer.....that is just crucial.....and I am in the process, May God help and assist me. of doing just that...along with writing the work He gave me, "The Basis'"...what I told you about...i'm still in the Psalter, Book Three (Psalm 73-89)...then to the New Testament...the Four Gospel Accounts....and I think I have to include all the Epistles, Acts, Hebrews, The Revelation....and I've noticed, when you write of the Faith....you BETTER take care, no carelessness.

But we all have to do something here...time is short, the news of the world grows darker...the dogs of war are yowling like demons, the hearts of many grow cold....but what an environment to walk out our Faith?...amen?

I love you and the saints at SI, May the Grace of the LORD be with you, always, neil

2013/8/9 12:37

Re: Is tbe Word really our food?

Jeremiah 15:16
Your words were found and I ate them,
And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart;
For I have been called by Your name O Lord, God of hosts.

How many of us can articulate as Jeremiah did that the Word of God is our food? Indeed how many of us can say that the Word of God is a joy and the delight of our soul. Is it possible we find more delight in theology then in the word of God itself.

One poster has said he will talk about a certain theological position until he is blue in the face. But how many of us will talk about the Word itself?

Indeed do we in the west despise the Word and treat it with contempt. Oh we want be as brash as to say we do. But the fact we ignore the word should speak to the condition of our heart of how we view the Word.

The fact that threads about the Word suffer a quick death in this forum should be testimony of how tbis forum views the Word of God. So sad!

The Reformed View of Sanctification enjoys a viewing of around a thousand hits. This thread gets only about 200 hits. And what sanctifies? Well it surely is not reformation theology. But only the Word of God.

Bearmaster.

2013/8/10 17:36

Re: The Sweetness of God's Word

Psalm 119::103
How sweet are your words to my taste!
Yes, sweeter than the the honey to my mouth!

Here another Old Testament saint speaks of the sweetness of God's word. He likens it to the sweet taste of honey. Interesting that nutritionist speak of honey being good for our physical bodies. Pray tell, what can the sweet taste of God's word do to our inner man?

Do we regard the word of God is merely a holy book to read for do's and don'ts? Or do we see it as sweet spiritual honey for a withering branch? Indeed do we see the sweet word of God as spiritual honey for our starving souls? Do we see the sweet spitiual honey of God's word as that which can give us spiritual life?

Indeed truths to think about as Peter told Jesus, you have the words of eternal life.

Bearmaster.

2013/8/11 8:18

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy