SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
dohzman

Re: bear with me please

Now than if worship is love then what is your definition of love?

2005/3/31 20:58Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

love is not just a feeling but a response to that feeling, what you do in response to what you feel. God so loved the world He sent His only begotten son to die in our stead. worship is born out of love, and it is love.

2005/3/31 22:04Profile
dohzman

Re: Just a scripture

Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commandments, John said the commandments of the Lord aren't burdensome. So could worship be doing Jesus' commands and a proof of our love toward God ?

2005/3/31 23:11Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:
Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commandments, John said the commandments of the Lord aren't burdensome. So could worship be doing Jesus' commands and a proof of our love toward God ?

oh yes indeed bro dohzman but it doesn't just end there there are also tasks that God has for each of us which we are to fulfil, we shouldn't neglect those. The commandments of the lord aren't burdensome to one who walks inthe spirit, they become second nature, when we walkint he flesh however...

2005/3/31 23:14Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

A healthy mind part 1

The mind of the believer is essentially the most active part (outside of the spirit) of his walk. We realize that the mind will manifest what is in the heart and if therefore our heat is wrong, the mind will manifest this fairly readily. In a word, “to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace”(Romans 8:6). This statement alone shows us the gravity our minds have on our walk in the Spirit of Christ. A carnal mind empowers the flesh, “because the carnal mind is enmity against God…so then they that are in the flesh cannot please God” (Romans 8:7-8). On the other hand a spiritual mind empowers the Spirit: “they that are after the Spirit [mind] the things of the Spirit… to be spiritually minded is life and peace” (Romans 8:5-6). Added to this our Lord tells us that we are to, “….love The Lord thy God… with all thy mind.” (Mathew 22:37).

We must have an awareness of the our own minds and what the sate of a healthy mind should be. A “saved person” (one born of the Spirit) should have a firm grip on his faculties. The mind should be subject to the person and he should be able to utilize it as a tool for serving the Lord. A weak mind is manifest most readily in prayer. Many people have the experience of not being able to maintain their concentration in prayer and meditation. A wondering mind is big hindrance to spiritual progress. If you cannot maintain concentration in prayer and meditation it is likely that this has been your condition all day, it only becomes evident when you are trying to pray because it is only then that you are finally trying to be “serious” and “focused”, to your horror, you find that you cannot. This is the tragic story of many of us. Let us be aware first of all that the mind is just a faculty which in service to us (the person). It is not “normal” to have random thoughts or images appear constantly into you head without your consent. A healthy mind should be able to stop and change its subject matter naturally. Remember, your mind is in fact “yours”, that is how the Lord is able to command us to Love God with all [b]thy[/b] mind. Let us be very clear on this one, if you are saved, you should have full authority over your mind. As Dr Tozer once said, “Jesus doesn’t save people in pieces, if a man is out at see drowning we don’t take him out in chunks, we take the whole man in one whole piece. And so Jesus saves the whole personality, the whole character, all the man.”. Your mind is part of that which was saved and purchased by the blood of Jesus. Accept thus divine truth and receive it in the name of Jesus and your spiritual life will see a ray of light from the Lord.

Having said this, we must now come to the practical matter of our experience. We have accepted the Lord truly and fully but how is that there is still some disharmony in the mind? We have established that a healthy mind can stop and change directions naturally and freely. If this is not our experience, the our authority is being usurped somewhere by someone. This “someone” is none other than the principalities, powers; rulers of darkness and “spiritual wickedness in high places” described in Ephesians 6. We are under constant attack and unless we realize our authority in Christ, we shall not find full victory. Paul tells us to “take the helmet of salvation” (Ephesians 6:17). A helmet protects the head, and likewise we must realize that the salvation in Jesus Christ protects us from attack. We must call to mind this authority and use it in faith, and take back the ground that is rightfully ours. It is a battle and you must seize total and full control, in the name of Jesus, of your mind to serve God effectively. The quickest way to short-circuit a Christian is through the mind. Be fiercely aware of this and with Godly anger abhor that that which is evil and cast it out in the name of Jesus. For, as Paul says, “…the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the [b]pulling down of strong holds[/b];) Casting down [b]imaginations[/b], and every high thing that exalteth itself against the [b]knowledge[/b] of God, and bringing into captivity [b]every thought[/b] to the obedience of Christ; (2 Corinthians 10:4-5). Your mind should be for you a secure stronghold, a mighty fortress in service to God. Lay hold of it and grow in spirit!

Having said that (the mind is a battlefield), we must not become preoccupied with the battle, as if our Lord set us free only to fight, that comes with the territory but it is not the focus of a healthy mind. The mind of Christ for me is decribed well in this passage of scripture:

Philippians 2:1-11 1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, [b]if any fellowship of the Spirit[/b], if any affection and mercy, 2 fulfill my joy by being [b]like-minded[/b], having the same love, being of one accord, of one [b]mind[/b]. 3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. 5[b] Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus[/b], 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

James

2005/4/1 10:07Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: The unity of belivers part 1

The unity of believers is one of the ministries of which, the Spirit of Christ is particularly concerned. In perhaps the greatest Chapter in the whole Bible, our Lord prays that the Fathers will may be manifest in the unity of believers as He says:

And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are… That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. (John17:11;21-23)

The glory has been given to us believers that we may be one even as the Father and the Son are one. This is just as important as our personal relationship with Christ and should be treated as such. As Christians, the easy way out is to be in isolation. Dealing with others is time consuming, difficult, frustrating and often disappointing. The love of Christ is required for a close spiritual union, which can be referred to as glorious in the sight of the world and of God. We not only have the same Spirit as believers but collectively we have a glory that cannot be manifest in any one individual. I am not referring to the mere gathering of many people who have different agendas, but a collection of Spirit filled believers endeavoring towards the mind of Christ and actively pursuing the Father’s will.

Such talk is very high and loft, and to the carnal mind this is far too idealistic but we realize also that to be carnally minded is death. We therefore seek to be spiritually minded and aim for the highest Kingdom ideal as set forth by our Lord and His Spirit through His Apostles. The words spoken by Christ are real and eternal…heaven and earth may pass away but His word endures forever. The Lord here is His High priestly prayer has literally spoken into existence a body for Himself, one full of His own glory and ones with the Father. We require our faith to collectively substantiate this eternal reality.

We must admit that our own faith is lacking in this respect. We all have a measure of faith but this is not sufficient for the kind of unity that is synonymous with the unity of the Father and the Son. As much as we aspire to this our own faith and aspiration alone is lacking to complete. We need the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ Himself to manifest itself through His Spirit. Faith in the authority of the name of Jesus Christ will manifest the perfect faith of the lord, as was the case when the lame man lying at the gate called “Beautiful” was healed. (Acts 3:16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, [b]the faith which is by him[/b] hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.). The faith “which is by Him” is potent binding and supernatural. We require supernatural faith to manifest supernatural unity. No amount of organization and good intentions are going to create oneness in a group of people.

This “ideal” must be taken with a pinch of salt. We are for the most part private people and unity means an invasion of privacy and of rights. In close fellowship the rights and privacy of believers must be non-existent. This is much more than being polite, and “putting up” with each other, but a genuine belief and attitude that others are better than me. (Philippians 2:3Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.).

Brothers and Sisters this is true suffering worthy of the fire and of our Lord. Esteeming others is a pain to the soul, and it is against everything that this world teaches us. We are taught to be “go getters”, and phrases like, “don’t let people push you around” seem balanced and sound enough even for us to teach our Children. The mental and spiritual tenacity required for this is simply beyond us. Paul tells us that it is in these situations that the Spirit will manifest himself. (Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26). We must be aware if we press towards the goal of the unity and glory described by our Lord, then our infirmities will be made manifest but our suffering is not in vain. (And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. Romans 8:17)

The end of Christian suffering is glory in our Lord. The Spirit helps those who suffer with the Lord for the glory of His Church. When we lay hold of supernatural expectations and promises the conditions are ripe for supernatural manifestations of God, but if we become complacent in the status-quo and the mold set by the world we will not touch the glory of God.

James

2005/4/2 4:40Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Worship in spirit part 1

The unregenerate spirit of man has no fellowship with God. In essence, death is separation from God, when Adam ate of the tree; his Spirit became a fallen spirit, one that was separated from God, that is the condition of everyone born of man. When we as believers are born again, our spirits are quickened (brought to life) and the union with God is once again possible. Life is in God and separation from God is death. One of the ideals that the Lord sets forth for us is worship “in spirit and in truth”. May the Lord lead us to understand what He meant by this:

John 4:21 Jesus told her, "Believe Me, woman, an hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know. We worship what we do know, because salvation is from the Jews. 23 But an hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth. Yes, the Father wants such people to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

Previously the Lord had His first discourse concerning the Spirit with Nicodemus. Our Lord is the master physician and we note immediately that He does not dispense the same cure to different patience with different illnesses. The message was specifically tailor made, for the woman at the well. He did not tell her about the need to be “born again” although that was needed, but he told her about, “a well of water springing up within him for eternal life” (verse 14). The Lord discerned both the woman and Nicodemus by His spirit. We know that the Lord was able to perceive with His spirit (Mark 2:8 And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit…) and this was an accurate means for Him to assess the spiritual condition of a person. His spirit being pure was immediately able to discern a person’s spirit and their deficiency.

Today we as “born again” (born of Spirit) believers are equipped with a live spirit which, which is in communion with God though His own Spirit dwelling in us. We must also realize that our spirits grow with continual fellowship with the Lord (And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him. Luke 2:40). Again notice the lower case [i]s[/i] in the phrase [i]s[/i]pirit and truth, this referes to our own spirit, not the Holy spirit. Here the Lord tells us that we are to worship God in our spirit (for the time is at hand when we have received the means to do this). The Lord seeks a race of people to commune with Him in the same form that He exists, in Spirit. The doctrine of our spirit is not so important as the experience. People who have a strong fellowship with the Lord have a strong spirit whether they know it or not

It is a blessed thing to be able to serve God with our spirit. As Paul says, “For God is my witness, whom I serve in my spirit…" (Rom. 1:9). Christian experience becomes vitally real when we can serve God with our spirit. Our spirit is the means by which His spirit communicates with us. It is necessarily a physical voice that we hear leading us but admittedly, the Spirit does speak to us. The reason prayer is so potent and transfiguring is that is one of the few conditions when we are “in the spirit”, whether we realize it or not. You will notice also that prayer becomes more and more intense with duration. We become more aware of the subtle leadings of the spirit and we grow by this. After we pray our intuition is sharper, our conscience is more sensitive; this indicates growth in the spirit.

True worship and praise are like prayer, “in the spirit”. Let us at this point be clear that the most significant thing about our spirit is that this is the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. If our body is the temple of God (Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16) the our spirit is the holy of holies. It is a blessed thing to be able to enter into the holy of holies and to be lead and instructed by the Lord. True worship begins obedience (And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. (1 Samuel 15:22)

The leading of the Holy Spirit is very personal and hard to describe, but to obey this leading is the essence of worship. To follow the leading of the Spirit requires faith, not in yourself, but in God. There is no documented instruction on “how to worship” but as our spirits become more and more keen we will spontaneously worship the Lord as we obey Him. At first, it is hard to discern whether what we are following in our intuition is the Lord, but this becomes easier as our faith grows. In this respect, without faith it is impossible to even talk of true worship. In the endeavors of prayer and worship we immediately see how much faith we have in the Lord. May the Lord in His grace open our eyes and increase our faith.

James

2005/4/2 8:22Profile
dohzman

Re: Worship in spirit part 1

I'll speak on your posts afetr I get back Late Sunday Nite. They were good posts and topics.

2005/4/2 23:07Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Worship in spirit part 2

The presence of God is the essence of deep worship. We will now consider two texts in this respect which have to do with the presence of God. May the Lord lead us into focus upon Him as we meditate on these two familiar texts.

Isaiah 6:1-4 1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

Revelation 4:8-11 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

We notice here that those angles which are closest to God are doing one thing and one thing alone, worshiping Him. There are many differences between us and angles and between our relationship with the Lord and theirs. The focus here must never be on the angles themselves but on their attitude. The Holiness sovereignty and nature of God is worthy to receive undivided attention and a time in our fellowship that is wholly devoted to that ministry to Him. We do not come to receive anything from Him nor do we come to give him anything apart from our undivided attention. We come to acknowledge the source of all things and we forget about everything else and focus our entire being on Him alone. The only direct benefit of those worshiping the Lord that can be seen is that they are close to God and they are in His presence; this is our reward as the worshipers of God in spirit and in truth.

The Lord as equipped us with a spirit and, as we have said before, this is for us to have fellowship with Him. God lives in us by His Spirit and it is His Spirit that substantiates our faith. The Spirit of God manifests for us that which we require of God’s nature be it his love, authority or presence. He (God) represents the life of the Father through the Son by His Spirit in us. We do not want to take away from the experiences of others which are valid but we must say at this stage that, these manifestations are not necessarily felt, seen or heard physically, in fact more often than not, they are not physically experienced. The presence of the Lord is discerned by our spirit (note the small [i]s[/i] in [i]s[/i]pirit). It is when we have discerned the presence of the Lord that our worship becomes true to us.

The presence of the Lord is real, substantial and glorious. It is a glorious presence and one which is transfiguring. It is nothing vague or for special occasions but it is available to anyone who is a child of God (John1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.). To those born of the Spirit, it is the will of God that you have the authority that comes with your sonship in the name of His Son. You cannot come to the throne of God willy-nilly, but God has given you the authority of a son so that in the spirit you can approach God in His presence by your spirit, through faith in the name of His son.

A consideration of our frailty and weakness and sins will cause us to be hesitant to approach God even if our faith allows us to see our right and privilege in Him. Let us be very clear, we do not approach God on the basis of our own deeds or holiness, this is impossible. We approach God in the blood of Jesus Christ and in His name. The blood of Jesus cleanses every sin and unrighteousness and allows us to approach the throne with boldness, not in ourselves mind you, but in Christ. We have boldness that the blood of Jesus Christ is so Holy and potent that it will cleanse even the most wicked sinner of all his guilt and unrighteousness. The blood is the sacrifice we bring with us worship but as we know, the blood is not ours but it has been given to us freely by His grace.

Some believers have grown to know the potency and authority of the name of Jesus but it is a wonderful thing to discover the potency of His blood. We approach God with the blood and all His righteous requirements are met immediately. His Holiness cannot be contaminated by our unrighteousness but, in the blood we are clean before Him and worthy of true worship. We cannot approximate the value of the blood but, our Lord tells us that, it is sufficient for Him…take Him on His word! Boldness does not mean familiarity or contempt but this boldness is a reference to our faith. Fear of unworthiness saps the faith and joy out of fellowship, but boldness increases our faith.

Let us therefore approach the Lord boldly that we may worship Him for, as the author of Hebrews tells us, “ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:) But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written n heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. See that ye refuse not him that speaketh.”

James

2005/4/3 5:14Profile
dohzman

Re: A healthy mind part 1

That was a good post bro.! When it comes to the mind , though it would seem that so much of our daily battle is getting enough of our mind renewed to actually believe the things Jesus' has done for us in salvation. I once heard salvation described this way , it can be like coffee that's instant coffee, a right now thing. Or it can be like the old fashioned kind thats brewed very slowly and that after it has been grindded up. God privy to his own purposes choses to take each of through what he sees we need in our salvation experience. The mind is the key thing though, excellent post ! Your quote here is on target!!!! The quickest way to short-circuit a Christian is through the mind.

2005/4/3 20:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy