SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Churches of Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
onemite

Churches of Christ

Does anyone know about the doctrinal teachings of Churches of Christ? I recently attended a bible study with a nice group of people who, I learned were part of the Church of Christ. We briefly discussed some of their beliefs, and from what I could tell, although there are some differences, the denomination is truly Christian
However, it is so different from what i've known, that I am unsure.

If any of you know something about Church of Christ, would you share your thoughts on it with me?

Thank you,
Onemite

2013/7/31 21:18Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: Churches of Christ

Here are some points

Unsound Doctrine - Beliefs and Practices

They teach Baptismal Regeneration - (This means Salvation by Faith Plus Water Baptism

They believe that they are the one and ONLY true Church (that is, The Lord's Church)

They generally reject ministry cooperation with local "Non Church of Christ" churches

Instrumental music in worship services is forbidden. Acappella singing only is acceptable

They teach than a Believer in Christ is NOT indwelt by the Holy Spirit (The third person of the Trinity)

They preach universal unity among churches - (but, premised on the fact that all other churches conform to "ALL" of their teachings and practices including revision of their church name to "Church of Christ")

2013/8/1 5:59Profile
turn

USA

Re: Churches of Christ

The Church of Christ people that I have known have known their Bibles better than any group I have seen. They know all the books including ones like Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Chronicles. They know Bible geography and the mountains and towns of Israel and Judah. One elder there had taken many trips to Israel and showed many photos of many places and related them to Biblical events in the OT and NT. Their churches have multiple, non-professional elders who all share in the teaching. Their families have appeared strong. Their young people have commonly accomplished much in memorizing Scripture.

I continue to use their free, interlinear Bible software with excellent resources for studying the underlying Greek and Hebrew. It is available here: http://www.scripture4all.org

They use a Capella singing in their public meetings. They are cessationists with regard to supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Sadly, I have too often observed across all types of churches an inverse relationship between openness to supernatural gifting of the Holy Spirit and knowledge of the Bible.

Their churches and institutions (universities and colleges) seem stable and have endured for many years.

2013/8/1 7:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

Some of the stances of the Church of Christ are now troublesome but their beginnings was a wonderful revival that brought the Church much closer to the apostolic original.

--

Churches of Christ are autonomous Christian congregations associated with one another through common beliefs and practices, based on the New Testament. They consider only the Bible authoritative for doctrinal beliefs, rather than any human councils. At the heart of these principles is the ideal of being New Testament congregations as originally established by the authority of Christ. Historically, Churches of Christ in the United States were recognized as a distinct religious body by the U.S. Religious Census of 1906. Prior to that, the tags Church of Christ, Christian Church, and Disciples of Christ all referred to the same undenominational churches. Leaders such as Thomas and Alexander Campbell, Walter Scott, and Barton W. Stone used these various biblical names to describe a combined effort of similar movements that eventually came together. They were active in American frontier settlements and cities. Those leaders and others had declared their independence from various denominations, seeking a fresh start to restore the doctrines and practices of the New Testament church, abandoning humanly devised creeds which they saw as a source of division among Christians.

Around the time of the American Civil War, branches developed within Churches of Christ between those who used musical instruments in worship and those who chose to sing a cappella. Prior to the Civil War, all congregations in this movement practiced a cappella worship and afterward about half of these churches began using instruments. The "a cappella churches" continued to worship this way because the use of instruments in church worship is not mentioned in the New Testament and because the early church practiced worship this way for several centuries (hence the term "a cappella" which literally means "as the church"). The branch of this movement with the instrumental worship tradition is usually referred to as "Christian Church," although some are also known as "Church of Christ." Many within these two traditions consider both to belong to the same fellowship, although they have the different worship practices regarding church music.

--

Members of the church of Christ do not conceive of themselves as a new church started near the beginning of the 19th century. Rather, the whole movement is designed to reproduce in contemporary times the church originally established on Pentecost, A.D. 30. The strength of the appeal lies in the restoration of Christ's original church.

--

Alexander Campbell said the goal was to "[c]all Bible things by Bible names," which became an early slogan of the Restorationist Movement.[28]:688 These congregations generally avoid names that associate the church with a particular man (other than Christ) or a particular doctrine or theological point of view (e.g., Lutheran, Wesleyan, Reformed).[4][26] They believe that Christ established only one church, and that the use of denominational names serves to foster division among Christians.[11]:23,24[25][29][30][31][32] Thomas Campbell expressed an ideal of unity in his Declaration and Address: "The church of Jesus Christ on earth is essentially, intentionally, and constitutionally one."[28]:688
Other terms have been recognized as scriptural, based on their use in the New Testament: "church of God", "church of the Lord", "churches of Christ", "church of the first-born", "church of the living God", "the house of God", and "the people of God".[25][33] While recognized as scriptural, terms such as Church of God and Christian Church are avoided to avoid confusion or identification with other groups that use those designations.[25][26][34] As a practical matter, use of a common term is seen as a way to help individual Christians find congregations with a similar approach to the scriptures.[25][35] Members understand that a scriptural name can be used in a "denominational" or "sectarian" way.[25]:83–94,134–136[26]:31[33] Trying to use the term "Church of Christ" exclusively has been criticized as identifying a denomination.[25]:83–94,134–136[26]:31[33] Many congregations and individuals do not capitalize the word "church" in the phrases "church of Christ" and "churches of Christ".[36]:382[37] This is based on the understanding that the term "church of Christ" is used in the New Testament as a descriptive phrase, indicating that the church belongs to Christ, rather than as a proper name.[25]:91

2013/8/1 9:00Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I am in dialogue with a person who attends the CoC.

He is very adamant about what did Jesus say a person must do to be saved. It goes down to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. He says the bible teaches that baptism washes away your sins.

He also asks me who is the true church today. I tell him the true church is an organism and not a denomination. The irritates him. He won't go into much detail but I know it has to do with the verses that stated '...the churches of Christ'

Just this week I shared with him what I believe God was doing in my heart when I would strive to do one thing and I felt something say no. He asked how I know it was of God because it is his belief that we cannot trust our heart. God only spoke through His Son. I then asked him about the purpose of the Holy Spirit. THe bible says those who are led of the Spirit are the sons of God. I ran out of time for his response.

He is very knowledgeable of the bible and when he shares things with me he gives the reference first and then the scripture from memory.

The major thing for me at the moment is baptism for the remission of sins.

2013/8/1 9:46Profile
onemite

Re:

Thanks everyone for your responses.
It really helps.

I agree, that they seem very adamant on carrying an the command to love. They also are very family oriented.
However, I have found many religions who act lovingly and who care for families. It is difficult for me to discern at face value.
Deadn- you said, "I tell him the true church is an organism and not a denomination." The meeting I attended, the person I spoke with told me that they believe the church is an organism and not a denomination, which is what drew me!

They did mention that they believe that a person receives the indwelling Holy Spirit upon baptism and that they do not believe the manifestations of the Holy Spirit are the same today as the Acts of the apostles.

The subject of their talk was a bible study "The Pursuit of Holiness" by Jerry Bridges.

Occasionally, between giving up my pursuit of finding a local church to attend, I look for one. I don't want to miss what God may have for me, and yet I don't want to be so intent on finding a church fellowship that I miss Gods best.

I will wait and continue to keep fellowship with the few sisters He has given. I am so thankful that He knows the weak and doesn't leave them alone.
Sincere thanks,
Onemite

2013/8/1 16:57Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

onemite, would you please fill out the profile, at least the name so we know who we are praying for.

In Christ: Phillip

2013/8/2 2:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy