SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : PCUSA Rejects Hymn 'In Christ Alone' Over 'Wrath of God' Lyrics

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 PCUSA Rejects Hymn 'In Christ Alone' Over 'Wrath of God' Lyrics

It’s no secret that the Presbyterian Church (USA) — which is different from other branches of Presbyterianism — collectively takes a more liberal approach to theology. Most recently, the denomination is gaining attention for its rejection of the hymn, “In Christ Alone.” Rather than including the song in its new hymnal book, PCUSA axed it — an action that may leave some faithful believers scratching their heads.

After all, the song is robust with Christian themes of hope, strength and Christ’s dying on the cross. So, why would the PCUSA turn its back on it?
Here’s why: There’s one, key line in the third stanza that created a barrier — and debate: “Till on that cross as Jesus died/the wrath of God was satisfied.” ...

read more: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/30/presbyterian-branch-rejects-famed-christian-hymn-in-christ-alone-from-new-song-book-over-wrath-of-god-lyrics/

2013/7/31 7:46Profile
havok20x

Re: PCUSA Rejects Hymn 'In Christ Alone' Over 'Wrath of God' Lyri

This is one of my most favorite hymns. I remember one day in particular, listening to it on my radio, and I heard those exact, disputed lyrics--"Til on that cross, as Jesus died, the wrath of God was satisfied." My heart leapt in my chest because the Lord brought me to a sudden and deeper understanding of what was done for me on that cross. I am a child of God, no longer a child of wrath. That was one of those wonderful days of the revelation of the truth that I have unexpectedly experienced. So this song has a special place in my heart.

I understand some of the theological disputes that can arise from those lyrics, but that doesn't mean they are useless. At the very least, the wrath of God was satisfied for those of us who believe. Again, we are children of God, not wrath. We are free from the curse of the law! There is no purgatory or hell-fire or punishment waiting for me! There is now, therefore, no condemnation for those who are in Christ! No power of hell, no scheme of man can ever pluck me from His hand! Til He returns or calls me home, here in the power of Christ I stand!

2013/7/31 12:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy