SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Scholars and Theologians Who Write About God But Do Not Know Him

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Scholars and Theologians Who Write About God But Do Not Know Him

There is a saying: “You can be so right that you become wrong.” Sadly some in Church history were 100% right in their doctrines but in their practice they were wrong. The goal of the Christian life is to know and love God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, receiving eternal life through the Son, and resulting in a glorious and personal relationship with the Triune God. Where we love Him, worship Him serve Him, obey Him and where we experience His love and His care for us.

Scholars and theologians can write about God but at the same time not experientially know Him.

Doctrines coming from such men in many cases will lead believers into scholastic studies about God but not the very experience of Him. Good doctrines can provide us with foundational principles based on a correct interpretation of the Word of God. But, only the most basic doctrines are necessary to help unify the body of Christ—which is the Church. Too many doctrines divide without being essential to the faith.

Doctrines rooted in man-made terms, ideas and explanations can even lead a believer away from the Lord Himself. Good doctrines are helpful, but growing in discipleship with the Lord Jesus Christ is more important.

Though there is Scriptural warrant and benefit to study the character of God and His ways. God does not call us to be theologians merely but disciples who practice what Jesus taught. “Christians now choose churches based upon particular doctrines, and having the right theology has become the most important thing rather than having the right lifestyle, all because a Biblical model has been abandoned.”

2013/7/25 11:58Profile
havok20x

Re: Scholars and Theologians Who Write About God But Do Not Know Him

I hold this opinion and will maintain it:

Truly right doctrine helps to yield a truly right life.
Again, if you truly understand doctrine and truly understand the word of God, you will have a life to match or that at least is heading that direction. The author is right in ascerting that a person CAN have the right theology but have a wrecked up life (i.e. pharisees...although even some of their doctrine was WAY off base...so even they do not meet this exact standard); however, that does not mean every theologian from the past were wicked, carnal men who only cared about being right about certain points but failed to even know the Lord. This article seems very dangerous because it condemns some nameless theologians (I assume the author actually could name some of them, but does not) and lumps them all up with those that were good and assumes that none of them loved and followed the Lord. It is a low tactic to prove a fainting point.

Yes! Fellowship with the Lord is necessary! Absolutely! 100%! But to suggest that maybe our doctrine is not important, so long as we have Jesus is a rather terrifying thought! How else are we to prevent from being swept away by every wind of doctrine? How do we prevent doctrines of demons from entering the church? At what point do we draw the line? The fact is, we don't. Scripture draws the line for us.

There are some things that are debatable. There are some things that absolutely are not. And there are some things that we need to work out through prayer and seeking the Lord. But if a doctrine is divisive, it does NOT mean that we should just forget it--that is not the mark of unimportant/false doctrines. The mark of false doctrines are that they lead to sin in the life of a believer. They ALWAYS will! Just look:

1 Timothy 6:3-5 states, “If anyone teaches other doctrine and does not agree with the sound teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the teaching that promotes godliness, he is conceited, understanding nothing, but has a sick interest in disputes and arguments over words. From these come envy, quarreling, slander, evil suspicions, and constant disagreement among people whose minds are depraved and deprived of the truth, who imagine that godliness is a way to material gain.”

Good doctrine promotes godliness.

and also 4:16 says, "Pay close attention to your life and your teaching; persevere in these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and your hearers."

It is clear: The way we live our lives and our doctrine are knit together in such a fashion that they cannot be extracted one from another.

Am I saying that we should get into arguements and stuff over what verses mean? No. I am saying that we need to seek the Lord about things that are unclear, without pride, without prejudice, and without malice toward one another. If we discover that we disagree how about we drop pride and hit our knees and see what the Lord says! Let's dig into His word and find out what is truth! This is about us, not about me or you. Instead of "breaking" down doctrinal walls, why not pray and seek the Lord so we can relocate them to their proper place. THAT is much better than just saying, "So long as we both love Jesus, regardless of what we believe, everything will pan out."

Which doctrines are rooted in man-made terms, ideas and explanations??? It fails to say. Again, a very low tactic that works very well on those who are immature believers and on those who have grown weary from constant in-fighting.

Was Paul a theologian? YES! But he also had a life to match--both his theology and holiness were knit together and inseperable.

2013/7/25 14:48Profile
bluinos

Re:

This I know that God is mindful of every word spoken into our lives, whether it be Him or not. Whether it be Scholars or Theologians makes no difference, when it is God speaking. I to disagree with a doctrine that may come into the church by demons. Our Spirit will bear witness between the false and the Truth. God is mindful. And yet love says "Who am I that you are so mindful of me". "Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, He hears him. My sheep hear my voice and the voice of another they will not follow. It is the Spirit of God speaking through every voice. Our Spirit will bear witness, we can not be decieved. To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. "Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, He the Holy Spirit hears him.

Until next time.

2013/7/26 7:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy