SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Help...Pope granting indulgences for attendees of YOuth Day

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
carters

Australia

Help...Pope granting indulgences for attendees of YOuth Day

Yesterday in the news, it came out that the Pope is granting one week time off Pergatory if you attend World Youth Day or attend via social media (adding also if you have a contrite heart). I thought they got rid of this stuff in the Middle Ages. Turns out no!

So I did some research and apparently they believe that the whole idea of indulgence stems from the writing of Tertullian. That he speaks very clearly about it and no-one argued with him at that time, therefore the "Pope" at that time was commonly granting indulgence and it was common for people to be praying for others and their prayers earning you time off Pergatory.

This just sickens me and makes me wonder how anyone in that "church" is able to believe the complete and true Word of God and still attend. HOw they cannot believe that Christ's work on the cross was complete but only partial.

MY question is, and there was not that much out there...what exactly did Tertullian believe regarding this - is there a chance it could have been common place? What proof is there? Why do they believe that there was a "pope" back in 200AD. I mean I can't even understand how they believe Peter was the first "pope" when James was the leader of the church in Jerusalem, not Peter.

I would love to know anyone's ideas and what research they have done on this.

Blessings to you all in the name of our Lord Jesus...the only Saviour!

Regards
Sherid

2013/7/18 6:16Profile
carters

Australia

Re: Help...Pope granting indulgences for attendees of YOuth Day

PS here is a website (pro Catholic) that explain well what indulgences are and what the Catholic Church teaches and practices on this.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm

2013/7/18 6:17Profile
dohzman

Re:

The only indulgences i want these days is an occasional day out with my family at the dairy queen for some ice cream cones :)

On a serious note...if you go into a Catholic Church you will see some candles up toward the front, people pay to have them lit for departed loved ones so they have less time in purgatory. It is supposed to give more power to the prayers you pray on behalf of those stuck in purgatory.

2013/7/18 8:59Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy