Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Responding to the positive thinkers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Responding to the positive thinkers

How does a Christian properly respond to those who are adamant about pushing forth positive thinking? Usually philosophy from Buddhism and even quotes from Wayne Dyer. Words that sound 'wonderful' and sometimes have a flirtation with spiritual things but staying away from it.

I have an acquaintance on Facebook who is into juicing, taking to a business and hardcore into the positive thinking stuff. I constantly look for ways to rebuttal what she says but with grace and without religious and I am finding it very hard.

She doesn't like to have conversation on negative stuff or entertain a difference of opinion. It is 'I have my belief and you have yours' She has gone on to state that she wants her kid to respect all religions ( while really believing in none except positivism).

Has anyone had experience with this?
It seems it has become a pet peeve of mine because of the slope of deception is so subtle that it really angers me deep inside but I am so careful in my approach. Being that others view the conversations I want to say something to sow the seed while informing all of her friends (mostly women) that positivism is ok but left alone it is am empty soul.

2013/7/12 10:38Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Responding to the positive thinkers

Hmmm...males want tattoos and women want positive thinking...any difference, ya reckon? It is just words and/or ink is it not? Or, do they matter? Apparently so or else you would not be concerned...

Feminist females like no input from males; males do not like input from females...SIGH No one wants to learn anything from anybody that contracts their ideas. Depending on your religion, philosophical bent you are discredited. Ah, got a problem, don't we?

Maybe one can take lessons from the book of Jeremiah. Look at chapter 1:

(The call)1:5: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,:
And before you were born I consecrated you;
I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

(The mission) 1:10: “See, I have appointed you this day over the nations and over the kingdoms, To pluck up and to break down, To destroy and to overthrow, To build and to plant.”

(The response)7:27: “You shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you; and you shall call to them, but they will not answer you.

(Your attitude towards their rebellion) 7:16: “As for you, do not pray for this people, and do not lift up cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with Me; for I do not hear you.

Ok, so God told Jeremiah to continue preaching to the people but do not bother to pray for them. God is aware of their sin - he does not need you to inform Him. All you can do is preach. But is this message applicable today to us moderns? Fair question. Somehow, I sense a lesson in this that we do well to take to heart. And it all begins by the Believer listening to the voice of the Spirit.

My insight...

2013/7/12 12:37Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Interesting thoughts. Although it doesn't technically answer my question I like the thought flow involved in it.

In this specific case this lady seems as if she is wanting to be a guru and get people to rally behind her. She is doing a juicing class and charges people to come and learn about to juice. She brags about her kid liking to eat the good foods. That is because the kid doesn't have a chance to eat junk. But what concerns me is the positivism she has through using quotes from people on how to achieve self fulfillment by thinking good thoughts and rising about negativity.

It all sounds so good but I know there is a vacuum there. I once made a reference to the case that through the human potential philosophy she is living by there should also be a spiritual element involving God in there as well. She never responded.

Positive thinking doesn't divide whereas religiosity does. This is the wall---- how to break it down to give positive thinking a real reality check? It is quicksand in my book.

2013/7/12 13:44Profile
BroRaymond

Re: Responding to the positive thinkers

You preach the gospel. To those who are perishing the Christian is the odor of death so there is no way to talk about these things without being perceived as negative. If she is open to learning about a religions here is an interesting fact you can research yourself and then ask her. Every religion on the planet, even Islam and Judaism teach that humanity at their core are ok and have the capacity to redeem themselves through religious observances and works. True, biblical Christianity is the only faith on the planet that declares humanity as sinful from birth and cannot reform but needs death and resurrection. So really there are only two faiths on the earth. One that believes we are fundamentally ok and one that believes we are fundamentally lost. Explore that with her. The gospel is the power of God to salvation. Stick to that

2013/7/12 14:46Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Post-Modernism. Ugh. You have your truth and I have my truth. Both are equally valid, so long as it is true for you. It's the bane of our society.

I have never succeeded in engaging someone with post-modern views using any tactics--only the Gospel. The issue is not that they are too positive or that they are too tolerant. Their issue is that they have not believed the Gospel. Give her scriptures that tell her the truth. Regardless whether or not they sound religious or christiany. This life has everything to do with eternity, whether they believe it or not. The most loving thing you can do for a person is tell them the truth, in love. Don't sugar coat it. Just give her the Gospel. If she rejects it, and you did it out of love and in the power of the Spirit, then you have not done wrong.

2013/7/12 14:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

When life ends and we appear before the great white throne the only person we have to give account for is ourselves. We are called to faithfulness. How others respond is between them and God. Simple. But their refusal to listen vexes a body to no end. I know.

John, if you are asking for specific words in how to counter this lady's philosophy, it won't work. The only words that will impact her is what the Holy Spirit will tell you to say. Just ask the LORD what you can say and see how He will lead you. It will be more profound then anything you could have imagined. (This has been my experience.)

God bless.

2013/7/12 15:52Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

What I am steering toward is taking positivity and spinning it in a way that brings God into the picture. There is a great gulf between human potential movement and that of God. I want to use her words to close the gap and show that God needs to be that end result of what she is striving for and not the human potential movement.

She is on high right now with creating her own juicing brand, joining a local business meeting lunches, eating as a vegan and 'eating' quotes from people who seek to inspire people to their own greatness. I know there is a way to use this as a springboard to connect God as the final missing piece and that is the approach I am trying to figure out without causing her to retreat hard.

2013/7/12 18:17Profile

Re:

Quote:
What I am steering toward is taking positivity and spinning it in a way that brings God into the picture. There is a great gulf between human potential movement and that of God. I want to use her words to close the gap and show that God needs to be that end result of what she is striving for and not the human potential movement.

She is on high right now with creating her own juicing brand, joining a local business meeting lunches, eating as a vegan and 'eating' quotes from people who seek to inspire people to their own greatness. I know there is a way to use this as a springboard to connect God as the final missing piece and that is the approach I am trying to figure out without causing her to retreat hard.

Obviously John you have to be led and do what seems right to you in the moment. I wouldn't discount being straight to the point though. I mean lets be real here. God isn't the missing piece in our lives. We are perishing without God. If you asked the Lord to give you that revelation for this woman in particular your witness would have the ring of truth and sincerity about it. People can tell when someone is concerned even when they are offended. Who knows? The Lord knows! Unless of course your life depends on her juice recipe!!!

2013/7/12 18:25
BroRaymond

Re:

You have to be careful not to fall into pragmatism. There is no way to bridge the gap or spin what she has to get her to see the truth of what you are saying. By nature she is an enemy of God and hostile to the truth and her response to the gospel is not dependent on your ability but on God and your rightly dividing the word of truth. She is blinded by Satan and that is not a negative view it is her spiritual reality and only the light of the gospel will penetrate that darkness. Paul said his speech and preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom but in the demonstration of the spirit and of power that our faith be not in human wisdom but the power of God. You ask her how she deals with her sin before a Holy God and how she responds will direct where she needs light from Gods word. Don't trust in your words or technique trust in His word and power. If she backpedals that is between her and God. Have faith in Him through prayer and the power of the gospel.

2013/7/12 19:27Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

BroRaymond

Here is the rational in my thinking. Is it better to give her the Gospel message point blank or bring in the concept of God and work my way to the Gospel with her? My rational is the latter.

I think of my friend who was part of the positive confession movement. She could not listen to anything negative and that included someone confronting her about false doctrine of someone who she admired. She eventually died from cancer. With my thinking, if I can open the door to this lady about God, in a generic way and work my way to Jesus it may make for a better transition.

What do you think?
John

2013/7/12 19:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy