SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Early Church Walked in the Fear of the Lord and Pleased Him Alone

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 The Early Church Walked in the Fear of the Lord and Pleased Him Alone

We must always in our walks with Jesus Christ keep our eyes on the Lord and seek to please Him alone. The fact is that we belong to Jesus Christ. He has redeemed us with His precious blood and therefore we are not our own.

This is a liberating truth if we can realize that all we do is in the clear view of God and therefore seek His approval alone.

The early Church walked in the fear of the Lord and did not seek the accolades and esteem of men. “Then the Church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers.”

The early Church sought to please God rather than men, for as our Lord had said: “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”

The fear of man is a snare but the fear of God is freedom to do His will.

2013/7/10 11:59Profile

Re: The Early Church Walked in the Fear of the Lord and Pleased Him Alone

I hope we don't put the Early Church on too high of a pedestal. It is enough that the Lord occupies that "pedestal" alone. The Apostle James had to correct those who were respecter of persons.

Jas 2:1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

Jas 2:3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

Jude also touched on this subject:
Jud 1:16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

Just like today, there were people in the Early Church that many followed and thought they were great Christians yet, an Apostle would stand up and "call a spade a spade".

2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2Pe 2:2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
2Pe 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Today, by and large, if men are building their own kingdom then they are very hesitant to speak the truth about someone else who may be in "leadership",as Peter did above.

Notice, that they are not talking about the world. They never talk about the world. They are talking about the Church.

2Co 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

In Galatia, many brothers were seduced in following after the Judaizers.

The NT is full of examples of things that are not right in the Church and Jesus speaks to 6 specific churches about things He has "against them."

So, I don't see the NT through rose colored glasses. I do see problems and that, I think is normal, wherever you have people. I also see God's provision for these problems. In addition, what I do see in the NT and not much of today, are Elders in the Church who are valiant for the truth and willing to "call a spade a spade", no matter who the personality is or what the cost to themselves will be.

2013/7/10 14:10
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
So, I don't see the NT through rose colored glasses. I do see problems and that, I think is normal, wherever you have people. I also see God's provision for these problems. In addition, what I do see in the NT and not much of today, are Elders in the Church who are valiant for the truth and willing to "call a spade a spade", no matter who the personality is or what the cost to themselves will be.

Brother, I agree the New Testament Churches in the book of Acts were full of problems and faults. But they did have a great measure of the presence of the Lord and a fear of the Lord was with them. This is God's will for it was written in Scripture.

There is always the need for the warning and corrective word. Thank you for making that clear. We will always need help to stay in the will of God. Jesus' letters to the seven churches in revelation clearly make it obviously that there was need for adjusting much.

2013/7/10 20:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy