SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Has Anyone Here Tried ALPHA.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
UntoBabes

Oregon

Has Anyone Here Tried ALPHA.

Hello brothers and sisters.
I have just heard of this evangalistic tool or program today called ALPHA and was wondering if anyone here is familiar with it and whether it worked with you or not.

Here is the link where i heard of it. It is a powerful message in itself. So, please if you have the time to listen and let me know what you think and your experience with it if you had any.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.lifeaction.org/infuse-podcast/2013/5/15/exploring-meaning-life/

2013/7/9 21:16Profile
kjcword

Re: Has Anyone Here Tried ALPHA.

Hey,
I went thru the Alpha book, but its been about 6 years ago. I remember it being a good course, but in hindsight, it may be a tad skimpy theologically. Dont remember anything being bad in it.
Be blessed!
kjcword

2013/7/9 21:32Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

I know people who are a pastor couple and they promote Alpha, so I researched it and Nicky Gumbel, the man behind it all. I ended up with grave concerns and tried discusing them with them but we remained of opposite opinions. So when they put on the course and invited me, out of respect, and the possibility that I could have been wrong, I attended the first session. I was so upset by what was presented as the "Gospel" and the emphasis on "SELF," but even more so by the Christians that sat there and took it all in without blinking, that I left the meeting prematurely and literally sick to my stomach.

I don't really want to get into a long discussion about it because it's all out there and been discussed in varios places on the net but I'm going to say this: Please pray for specific discernment regarding Alpha, then research and go with God's leading.

Blessings.

2013/7/9 23:34Profile

Re:

UntoBabes, there are plenty of reviews about the Alpha course online.

2013/7/10 0:18
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Thank you all for your responses. I will check iy our prayerfully as adviced. I really don't like to go on line for reviews because I don't know anything about the people posting the reviews and what their agendas are.

God bless.

2013/7/10 0:59Profile
wildhorse86

Re:

I did it last year, I can't remember hearing anything heretical about the gospel.

Sola, his gospel message was spanned out over several sessions.

For those who say he isn't doing deep teaching, he teaches Christ crucified, but he does it on a level a non-Christian who has never heard of Christ will be able to digest. It is an evangelical TOOL to be used with discussion within a community and guidance from a church pastor.

The church I did it with has seen positive fruit come from it. It is worth a look.

Michael

2013/7/10 10:34Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

You are right, it is not a good thing to rely on reviews by people who's agenda we don't know. I trust Sermonindex in that area so this may be of help to you:

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=11017

Videos of the different teaching sessions are available on Youtube, those are the ones played to the audience attending the course, such as the one called, Introduction - Is Christianity Boring, Untrue and Irrelevant, or, The Alpha course "Why did Jesus die?"

2013/7/11 2:49Profile

Re:

I must say that I agree with this assessment by Mr Hand regarding the Alpha course. It seems pretty strong to say that the Jesus of the Alpha course is another Jesus but unless we accept that Jesus was crucified for sin to satisfy the righteous demand of a Holy and Righteous God, then how will the unbeliever comprehend the price which was truly paid for our sins? How will the unbeliever comprehend that they must truly turn away from sin and embrace the cross itself as an answer to their condition?

It is one of the most difficult things to speak the truth clearly and without fear of contradiction. But unless we do that some men and women will simply embrace a good idea and know nothing of the true consequence of sin. It so happened that the Alpha course coincided with another campaign in the UK called the "Jesus In Me" campaign. That proved to be a complete failure and became the object of national public ridicule. It was the beginning of that social gospel which the evangelical churches embraced and the consequences have been devastating. Today in the UK it is nearly impossible to find really sound presentations of the gospel which place the correct emphasis on sin and the righteousness and holiness of God and Christ. In one church recently I heard a gospel preached which included company mission statement. The Coca Cola mission statement was held up as a good example of a "christian" attitude. Madness!

2013/7/11 4:51
acarrollfan

I went through the course also.

Just go ahead, anything comes from the Lord or about God is good.

2013/7/11 5:07Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy