Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : GRACE IS FREE! by David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 GRACE IS FREE! by David Wilkerson

"[The father] said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found" (Luke 15:31-32).

The younger son, the prodigal, was mired in a muck of loneliness brought on by sin. He was dead to his own will and in his wretchedness, he experienced something beyond his pain—he experienced his lostness!

As he thought of his father, he wanted to go back to him—to surrender himself completely. He knew he could never repay his father or please him by any good works. He also realized that he was wholly dependent on his father's grace and love for any kind of restoration to take place.

But the older son never had a sense of his lostness, of how hopeless it was to try to bridge the gulf between himself and his father, so he never faced his need to die to self.

Beloved, that chasm can never be bridged by works, promises or self-effort. Our acceptance in the love of the Father comes only through the blood of Jesus Christ. There is no other plea. The cross alone bridges the gulf.

You may protest everything I have written here. You may say, "Brother Wilkerson, you're telling sinners that if they'll just repent, everything will suddenly be okay—and God will wipe out their past and immediately bring them into His favor and blessing."

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying because that is just what Jesus is saying in this parable! Whenever a sinner turns to the Lord in utter repentance, brokenness and humility, he is immediately brought into the loving arms of his Shepherd.
Grace is freely bestowed on those who have died to feelings of self-worth and have acknowledged just how lost they are!

2013/7/9 8:53Profile
passerby

Re: GRACE IS FREE! by David Wilkerson

The prodigal son was in the very low ebb of his misery that his thought went like this, " And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate" because though he was a hired servant no one gave him anything."

Then he remembered and realized just how kind and graceful his father is, "But when he came to himself, he said, "How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger". Yes, his very own father whom he despised and abandoned.

His father was very kind, but oh how he sinned greatly against him, he knew that he has no more right to call him father nor ask him any help, but then, he was already at the end of his rope.

If by any chance that his father will take him as a hired servant then he would at least survive and live. Yes, just as a hired servant, no special rights nor privileges, " I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”

And so he arose, perhaps rehearsing now and then those words of repentance that he would say as he return home.

Then the awaited moment came, but even before he was able to kneel before his father to ask for mercy, his father who seemed to be waiting for him to come back all those time, at the very sight of his son, ran towards him and embraced him with all love and compassion.

And while he was saying his litany, which his father didn't seem to mind, his father commanded that the full accolade recognizing his sonship be fully bestowed on him with full rejoicing and celebration.

The prodigal son, the repentant son, the father, the resentful and bitter brother.

Have we repented as the prodigal son repented, no rights no privileges. Are we having a hardtime believing the grace of our Heavenly Father, or do we despise and is bitter that our Heavenly Father is ready to forgive such a rebellious, wanton, and irreverent brother.

2013/7/9 12:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy