Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Universalism Experiences a Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Universalism Experiences a Revival

When we think we have now heard everything here comes something else to bedevil Believers...it really is nothing new, but an old idea that has experienced a resurgence among people you thought were stable.

This is the belief of universalism and/or that there is no eternal hell fire.

I was doing an online search for a certain person's writings. This particular website had a lot of books online. As I scrolled down that list, I was surprised to find a fair number of books that taught this doctrine.

Embracing this doctrine was unheard of among conservative Mennonites but that is no longer the case. Right on its heels is the doctrine that homos are made this way and that one should cut them some slack.

I am not sure how accepting this doctrine of universalism has become among churches, but I suspect it is gaining a foothold because it denies eternal punishment for sins and that all will be eventually reconciled with the LORD Jesus.

I know faithfulness would have been greatly enhanced if people had been more careful what they chose to read...yet, on the other hand if there was ever a doubt as to the absoluteness of God's Word, one will always be vulnerable to deception regardless what form it appears in.

God bless.

2013/7/8 8:31Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Two Things

The first thing I wanted to address is how Universalism ended up being more acceptable to Christianity and how it has infiltrated many congregation's thoughts.

It all comes down to the character of God. We all know God is love. And we know according to the Bible what real love looks like. So the question that started being asked was this: "Can a loving God really destroy people just because they didn't get this life exactly right?" And the immediate response was "Of course not! That would be evil!" However, God does love the World. But God also hates the unrighteous. And God, being perfect and just must execute justice. Not because He is bound by some cosmic law, but because that is exactly what He says He will do. And THAT is why Jesus Christ had to come. Because there was NO WAY we could have been justified by God without someone paying the penalty of our sin since God already said He would destroy the wicked. And we all know that the Bible says that there are none who are good. Not even one. That is why Christ was our propitiation. The wrath of God that we deserve was poured out on Him. God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. Now, that price was NOT payed for everyone (although the Gospel is offered to all), but only those who believe. Because justification is not applied to us unless we repent and believe the Gospel in faith.

The truth is, God must punish the wicked because He is loving and just. However, because they don't know God, they fashioned a god out of their own liking, made it unjust, and called it by the same name they call our God. And proclaim that this new, 'more-loving' god is really the God of the Bible. Which is not true.

The 2nd thing is this. I do believe that homosexuals are born that way. The Bible makes it clear we were all born in sins and homosexuality, as perverse as it is, is exactly how I would expect a lost person to act. That is why they need to be born again. Cause (and I heard this from Tony Evans. I didn't come up with it) they were not born right the first time.

A Christian should not be a homosexual. And I don't think it is written in their genes.

2013/7/10 18:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Universalism Experiences a Revival

Perhaps it might be helpful to actually read one of these universal reconciliation books, such as the "Inescapable Love of God" by Thomas Talbot. You certainly may not agree, but at least you can speak and think intelligently about their position. There is nothing to be afraid of.

2013/7/10 19:51Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: the Savior

Universalism essentially thinks God is the Great Apologizer. He is Santa Clause, the forgiver/ excuser, the ultimate liberal.

What is the word for sticking my finger toward my throat to induce a gagging vomit?

Our God saves people- people who are trying to destroy themselves in defiance of God. He came to seek and to save the lost, to warn them of Hell's final place of unrest, and to ensure justice for any who turn to Him along the path of sin.

It is so important to know what God can do, and what He can't do. If He were free to save anyone He wished to save, He would just do that. There would be no need for the sacrifice of His Son, that would be needless extra cruelty!

The price of that would be no justice for anyone, from a god with no character. And that is not how it works. God is the moral governor of the universe, and will never apologize to anyone for His mistakes because there aren't any.

What is Hell? Hell is the best God can do for those who want nothing to do with Him.

Be highly suspicious of any doctrine that makes its appeal to the mind of flesh rather than the spirit.

2013/7/11 0:35Profile
rbanks

Re:

universalism denies the complete message of the cross.

the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing but to us that believe it is the power of God.

universalism is a doctrine of the devil and denies the power of God. Any teaching that denies the power of God, we are warned and told to turn away from.

we are to hate every false way, so I would not subject myself to reading or listening to any false doctrine

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2013/7/11 8:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

TMK,

I am not so sure that it is safe to read lit by people whose theology is contaminated with false doctrine. Their thinking process is contagious and will infect other areas of life, especially in how one looks at Scripture. You will think you are sound enough, strong enough that you can read this stuff and not be infected by it - I know there are a few who can, but they are rare. What will happen is that this mindset will lie in the corners of your mind and at a moment when you are not aware, the devil will slip a piece of that into your mindset...That devil is sly! Don't give him a quarter! Got enough devils to fight without reading stuff that was inspired by demons!

We must be ever so diligent! One needs to immerse himself/herself in the WORD, walk with the LORD allowing His spirit to be our guide. We do not have to educate our minds about the perversions out there. Just be familiar with the genuine and the counterfeit will become obvious.

The reality of universalism is that it appears so loving, hence its appeal! And who does not want to be loving?? This doctrine appeals strongly to those who have loved ones that spurned the gospel. It is tempting, I promise - been there! Don't be a vessel whom the devil will use to tempt another, please!

2013/7/11 9:13Profile

Re:

No one talked about Hell more than Jesus Christ. Universalism is not love, at all. rbanks is spot on. It denies the Cross and the sacrifice of Christ. It strikes at major doctrines of repentance, holiness, sanctification, justification, etc. There is no need of Christ if all will be saved (whether they want to be or not).

2013/7/11 9:22
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

AMEN! just-in.

2013/7/11 9:27Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

just-in wrote:

"There is no need of Christ if all will be saved (whether they want to be or not)."

Proponents of universal reconciliation would dispute this statement most emphatically.

That is why I recommend reading some of the leading authoris on this topic to at least get an idea of what they actually believe. The good scholarly ones strongly support their position with scripture and deal quite handily with all the objections you have raised.

I guess my uneasiness about the traditional view of hell (i.e. conscious eternal torment) is that if this view is correct, then the cosmic scorecard in regard to souls looks something like this:

Jesus: 3%
Satan: 97%

That should give anyone pause. Let's put it this way: I HOPE that the way hell has traditionally been taught is not correct. It may be, but I hope that it is not.

2013/7/11 12:02Profile
MaryJane

Re:

I guess my uneasiness about the traditional view of hell (i.e. conscious eternal torment) is that if this view is correct, then the cosmic scorecard in regard to souls looks something like this:

Jesus: 3%
Satan: 97%

That should give anyone pause. Let's put it this way: I HOPE that the way hell has traditionally been taught is not correct. It may be, but I hope that it is not.

The Word does tell us that JESUS way is NARROW! and satan way is broad so that probably tells us something. Few will enter the narrow gate.

God bless
mj

2013/7/11 12:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy