SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Grow In Holiness

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Grow In Holiness

Grow in Holiness.

Is it possible that we can grow in Holiness, I see scripture that says you can grow in Grace 2 Peter 3:18, I can see that can abound more and more 1 Thessalonians 4:1 but I don't see any scripture about growing in Holiness, yet I see it repeated again and again...

For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. Thessalonians 4:7

Can we grow from being Unclean to being Holy.. does abstaining from unclean thing make us clean as we try to live a Holy life?

I would say no because the unclean desire would still lurk in our heart.

Holiness means absolute purity of your walk before God, the words coming from your mouth, and every thought in your mind— placing every detail of your life under the scrutiny of God Himself.

He came to save us because He created us to be holy, the atonement through the Cross of Christ means that God can put me back into perfect oneness with Himself through the death of Jesus Christ, without a trace of anything.

Why oh why do we keep on insisting that we can grow in Holiness, is it because we are so independent and don't won't to surrender 'our lives' to him to God?

2013/7/5 17:16Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: Grow In Holiness

Having therefore these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Cor 7v1.

Put to death whatever belongs to your earthly nature Col 3 v 5

2013/7/6 4:17Profile
acarrollfan

Re: Grow In Holiness

Perhaps being Holy simply means setting ourselves apart.

I am not talking about you not going to work when your colleagues are non-believers so that you set yourself apart.

When the world thinks it is okay to have a marital affair in today's world, Christians don't think it is okay, for example.

I am not too sure, though.

2013/7/8 8:44Profile

Re:

Holiness is not necessarily setting ourselves apart physically from other people. Jesus walked amongst sinners and ate with them regularly.

Holiness is a matter of the heart first and foremost and expresses itself in many ways.

Be ye holy, as I am holy.

How was Christ holy? That is how we are to be holy.

Lev_11:44a For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy...

1Pe 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

2013/7/8 12:32
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Holiness is a matter of the heart first and foremost and expresses itself in many ways.

Exactly, God in the new Covenant promised us that gives a new heart a heart of flesh to replace the heart of stone Ezekiel 36:26

It is the new heart that will cause us to be Holy, it is Gods work to make us Holy we don’t grow in Holiness.

Christ gave himself so he could have a Holy people Tit 2:14

2013/7/8 13:27Profile

Re:

I actually do believe we grow into His likeness (maturity) and with that, experience righteousness and holiness more and more as we are steadily conformed to Christ. And yes, it is the work of the Lord. We are to go from victory to victory in our lives, yielding more of our heart each time to the Lord.

2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might BE MADE the righteousness of God in him.

It's about "growing" in the Lord.

ginomai
ghin'-om-ahee
A prolonged and middle form of a primary verb; to cause to be (“gen” -erate), that is, (reflexively) to become (come into being), used with great latitude (literally, figuratively, intensively, etc.): - arise be assembled, be (come, -fall, -have self), be brought (to pass), (be) come (to pass), continue, grow...

I am not of the school that just declares themselves righteous as I believe there must be real fruits of righteousness which abounds greater and greater.

Heb_12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it YIELDETH the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Holiness is separation and separation is God's first principle of righteousness as we see in the garden.

He separated the day from the night and called it good (righteous). All of Creation has the principle of separation in it and God called it "righteous" (good).

God's righteousness permeates His creation and the foundation of His righteousness is holiness (separation).

2013/7/8 18:05
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: I actually do believe we grow into His likeness (maturity) and with that, experience righteousness and holiness more and more as we are steadily conformed to Christ. And yes, it is the work of the Lord. We are to go from victory to victory in our lives, yielding more of our heart each time to the Lord.

Hmmm I do believe that the Spirit leads you further into knowing God "Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" 2 Peter 3:18 and that

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might BE MADE the righteousness of God in him.

Quote: It's about "growing" in the Lord.

I agree that there is growth but it’s growth in grace 2 Peter 3:18.

Quote: I am not of the school that just declares themselves righteous as I believe there must be real fruits of righteousness which abounds greater and greater.

Its was much more simpler for me, I believed what my heart was telling me, I knew Jesus and he was real for me, I cant say that I had real fruits of righteousness but I was forgiven and I had met the living God and I was saved.

But I grew in that gift of grace that I had freely received and I got to know God more and more.

But none of that is Holiness; Holiness is being separated unto God and the biggest hindrance for us is Sin, so we need to be separated from Sin so that we can be Holy and that does come through growth but through death. For he that is dead is freed from sin Rom 6:7

It’s not growth we need for Holiness it’s death…

2013/7/8 19:26Profile
proudpapa

Re:

good thoughts,

Something I discovered when studing this subject in the past is that holiness and sanctification are from the same Greek words.

2013/7/8 19:35Profile

Re:

"He must increase and I must decrease." We are to experience the increase of Christ in our lives as we exercise ourselves unto Godliness and the fruits of righteousness manifest and increase in our lives. These are not just words on a page but are supposed to be an experiential reality in our lives.

The formation of His righteousness does not come instantaneously. For this reason Jesus said, 'But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.' Matt 6:33

Those of the kingdom should experience a daily 'hunger and thirst for righteousness', (Matt 5:6).

The satisfying of this hunger comes as we receive this righteousness into our lives. Righteousness must become our life.
If we seek His kingdom we must seek His righteousness,for the foundation of God’s kingdom is righteousness.

I see the extension of God’s character through His authority. 'For the kingdom of God is righteousness… (Romans 14:17) You could say the scope of His righteousness is the scope of His authority. Or one could also say His authority establishes His righteousness. Righteousness involves the kingdom of God.

As His authority increases over every area of our lives (authority that we yield to and accept) then His righteousness is being established in those areas, too. This is how you grow in righteousness and holiness. This is "land" that is coming under the rule of Christ.

Mixture is contrary to righteousness. In all creation mixture was not found except for a tree called 'the tree of knowledge of good and evil,' which became the place of man’s fall. Evil comes through mixture.Here one finds the first principle of evil. The incorporation of evil is sin. It is the nature of sin to break down order and cause disintegration. All kinds of disorder come until all the life support systems of one’s life are destroyed. The working of evil is always death.

The working of the Holy Spirit in our lives is to remove all "mixture" (principle of separation).

It is mixture of good and evil that destroys righteousness. Evil can look good, but when evil comes in, it destroys all that righteousness has made. How many of God’s people are feeding upon mixture? The tree could be a book, a TV, a movie, a magazine, a philosophy or a relationship. The world today is full of mixture. It will excite the flesh but result in death for the soul.

Through mixture one loses the discernment of evil. In looking upon evil, one comes to accept evil; to experience evil, one loses the discernment of evil; and when discernment of evil is lost, evil has overcome. Not following the first principle of righteousness allows evil to enter. A prophet pronounced judgment upon a nation because they had lost discernment. "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" Isa 5:20

God’s people must separate themselves from evil and draw the line between the clean and the unclean, between the holy and the profane. Fathers must teach their children to draw this line. The mixture of evil must be eliminated from the home and from the church. How much one allows the principle of separation to work in his life will determine how much God’s righteousness will work in his life.

Righteousness brings order and peace.

And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever. And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places;
Isa 32:17-18

2013/7/9 0:26
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: The formation of His righteousness does not come instantaneously.

Genesis 15:6 says that Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

The moment he believed it was accounted to him for righteousness.

I know that when I was born again it happen instantly, I was born of the incorruptible seed by the word of God. I was declared righteous. I didn’t have to be righteous I didn’t try to be righteous I was righteous.

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 1 Peter 1:23.

Having said that though I was a “babe in Christ” still prone to carnality but I was still righteous.

Quote: As His authority increases over every area of our lives (authority that we yield to and accept) then His righteousness is being established in those areas, too. This is how you grow in righteousness and holiness.

Is Carnality something we can grow out of, does the carnal nature decrease as the Spirit increases?

Look at Paul’s cry desperate cry in Rom 7 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

He cried out for deliverance from carnality he didn’t ask to decrease so the Spirit could increase, it was a desperate cry from desperate man. What is crying to be delivered from “the body of death”

Paul is crying out for deliverance because he cant act the way he wants when he would do good evil was with him.. and he relates it all back to the body of sin..

What the answer for Paul’s dilemma crucifixion.

Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Our old man (Adam) was crucified with Christ so that what? The body of sin might be destroyed. What was Paul crying out for deliverance for who shall deliver me from the body of this death.

So how is righteousness and holiness shown forth in our bodies.

Using the Amplifed bible to help understand this verse better.

2 Cor 4:10 Always carrying about in the body the liability and exposure to the same putting to death that the Lord Jesus suffered, so that the [resurrection] life of Jesus also may be shown forth by and in our bodies.

The life of Jesus is shown forth by and in our bodies by carrying about in the body the liability and exposure to the same putting to death that the Lord Jesus suffered.

2 Cor 4:11 While we are alive, we are constantly being handed over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus may be clearly shown in our mortal bodies. And so death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

Constantly being put to death… so that the life of Jesus may be clearly seen..

2013/7/10 8:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy