SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Freedom from Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
It would be nice to hear your complete thinking on this matter...from a to z. I know that all of us could rapid fire questions depending on where we are... but this student assembles ideas better when all of the pieces are layed out rightly related to each other.

MC
One of the things that gets me into trouble fairly regularly on these forums is the whole question of when a man or women receives the Spirit in the New Covenant sense. This is obviously a vital factor in my own thinking on this issue. I see John Baptist who was 'filled with the Spirit from his mother's womb' (Luke 1:15,41) yet acknowledged that he did not have the Baptism which only Jesus could administer. Matt. 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? This, of course, is because the Baptism in the Spirit was not available at the time of John Baptist's ministry. John then, was filled but not baptised??

2005/6/5 9:59Profile
Compton

Re:

Ron B. said,

Quote:
One of the things that gets me into trouble fairly regularly on these forums is the whole question of when a man or women receives the Spirit in the New Covenant sense... I see John Baptist who was 'filled with the Spirit from his mother's womb' (Luke 1:15,41) yet acknowledged that he did not have the Baptism which only Jesus could administer.

A couple of verses comes to mind...in the context of this question, could you offer your commentary on these, and perhaps some others that you see fit?

"Ephesians:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory."

Galatians 3:2 "...Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?

Thanks much,

MC

2005/6/7 0:17Profile

Re: The wonderful thing is...

..that God is unique in how He deals with each soul. Man searches for recipe's for success where God just moves in and by the power of His Spirit in response to faith.
When I first encounter the living God in a real and virtual way, I had no prior knowlege or experience to work with. I just asked God to make Himself real to me. He did and then some. Was I baptized in the Holy Spirit? I do believe I was.

2005/6/10 7:51

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy