SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : American Preacher Arrested in London for Saying that Homosexuality is a Sin. Is This A Foretaste?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

The world will not stop reacting in anger when the church shouts about sin yet shows the world it is rotten with sin itself.

The only way the world will listen is if it cleans itself up first by being holy as He is holy.

Jesus had nothing to say to the world but plenty to say to the 'religious' and to those who supposedly follow him.

This is why communities change when there is a revival of holiness doctrine. People outside see the change and want to know more.

They see how the church are treating each other and caring for each other. Every person like me who is let to rot by the church because they cannot afford treatment, is a glaring idichment to the self righteous crowd. People are not stupid.

2013/7/4 9:57
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

When Jesus spoke with the woman at the well it was a private conversation. I am not sure that is a valid analogy to this situation. I don't believe Jesus was an "in your face" preacher with sinners, except with the Pharisees, who certainly deserved it. His sermon on the mount and its admonitions were made to everybody present and in general. For example, his teaching on adultery could not be taken as offensive to the Jews that were present; they knew the 10 commandments and His statement that even thinking lustfully counted as adultery applied to everyone listening. I don't believe Jesus would stand by at a Gay Pride rally and preach condemnation and passing out tracts to homosexuals as they were marching by. He might be weeping, however, and passing out water bottles. Of course, I might be wrong about this.

I am not stating that a homosexual should not be confronted with this sin; I question the wisdom/effectiveness of doing it in a public forum.

Again, if someone has examples of this type of approach actually working, I might change my mind about this.

2013/7/4 10:09Profile
dohzman

Re:

If we simply say that all have sinned many times it does not hit home. Romans 3:19 tells us that through the Law is the knowledge of sin. Many times people don't realize that the things they do are sinful, and they need to hear the truth in love.

Of course you are right here and the point the others made is true also, but in several instances both the apostles and Jesus spoke by a gifting of the Holy Spirit in either discernment or word of Knowledge. The trouble is when truth is spoken, almost any truth, it cuts and exposes and people who really do not want change get mad, really mad. I remember once when we were on the streets preaching one night and was in front of a bar in Canton. None of us were really preaching against any specific sin really just the good news that Jesus came to save...etc...but on that night it seemed as if just our very presence made a bunch of people mad. The owner and a couple of bouncers came out of the bar and physically assaulted several of us,I ended up with very bruised ribs, when this happened we were across the street from that place, so they had to make an effort to actually come to us. Anyway, sometimes just the presence of Jesus is enough, how ever there were also many times when the Holy Spirit called out specific sins and that caused a reaction in the listeners, so I guess the bigger question really is, "is to the Word of God we are speaking from the Holy Spirit or from our own head"?

Just a side note here, the bar that I mentioned above was called Twisted Sisters and not more than 6 months after that incident the owner was arrested for mob related crimes sent to prison and that bar was leveled and made into a parking lot. Our street outreach team always saw that as the Lord bringing judgement upon the heads of those who stretched out their hands to strike us down because we are His children.

2013/7/4 10:09Profile

Re:

I think the brother's last words should be taken to heart in the video. Persecution is coming to America.

Bearmaster.

2013/7/4 10:32
dohzman

Re:

I think persecution has always been in America, much of it we have not heard because the mainstream media does not report on it. I can tell you of real life martyrs in America, by that what I mean, people who have died literally because they were preaching or witnessing. The thing that is happening in America is that a plumbline has been set, it has always really been there, and the people who call themselves christian are being lead to a choice as to which side they will be counted for. Now as for certain freedoms that the church world seems to have at this point in America? That really is more of a political statement based on world view and as the liberties in America are taken away, it will in the end be a judgement of God on a society, not so much the true church, however the true believers will also have to endure these times.

2013/7/4 11:29Profile
used4him

Re:

Wow,

I loved the fact that this man is so bold and following the great commission of Jesus! Let there be more people reaching out like this! When watching his campus video, I was impressed with his balanced, loving way of sharing. There was no screaming at people and telling them they were going to hell.

I was interrogated by a police officer after sharing Christ with others in a park. I had done nothing illegal, but someone complained and called the police. All I could think of was that I must have done some damage to the enemies territory for him to get so upset at me. Rejoice if you are persecuted for righteousness sake!

2013/7/6 23:15Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Persecution is coming to America

The only persecuted Christian will be the preaching Christian, who calls out to the world “cleanse your hands you sinners, and purify your hearts you double-minded.” (James 4:8). The man who rattles the bee hive gets stung the most. The man who disturbs the mound of the fire ants will quickly find out why they are called fire ants. The devil is quite occupied leading the chain of bound sinners to hell. But as soon as you come with the chain cutters to set the prisoners free, you’ll discover that the preaching Christian is the persecuted Christian.

We must remember when we stand face to face with tribulation and when we stand toe to toe with oppression, that Christ will help us in our hardships and will give us peace in our persecutions. When we are put in the position to compromise that which can not be compromised, to deny the undeniable; when forced to decide to obey the authorities of man or to obey the authorities of God, holy defiance and godly disobedience to those unreasonable requests is not only necessary in this war, but is our only option.

2013/7/7 9:08Profile
rjennings

USA

Re:

It makes me nauseous to consider the state of the church where we begin to question whether we should openly confront sin of any sort. Yes, yes, I know there are some who stand on street corners with a picket sign bearing a derogatory slogan in one hand while angrily shaking a Bible in the other and shrieking aloud at every passerby in harsh tones. While we can criticize the approach we should consider the effectiveness of avoiding the subject altogether or generalizing to the extent the listeners must search for application to their blind state. A friend of mine stated “A sinner will condone you speaking on sin all day long until you mention their sin specifically”.

The attitudes of some make me wonder why God lists specific sins in the Bible. Why 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, for example? Or Galatians 5:19-21? Or Revelation 21:8? Why didn't he simply generalize and state “All who sin shall not inherit the kingdom of God?” Wouldn’t our conscience bear witness that our sin although not specifically listed separates us from God and must be dealt with? No, because we have our consciences seared with a hot iron (1 Timothy 4:2) and cannot bear witness with the sin that controls us.

Why must Nathan confront David specifically about his gross sins in 2 Samuel 12 and declare “Thou art the man?” Why such a direct approach when he could surely have lost his life in addressing the king in this manner and David as “a man after God’s own heart” certainly knows his error?

Why did Jesus tell the woman at the well in John 4:18 that she was an adulteress when surely after five prior marriages she could figure this out for herself? And, why was Peter so direct during the first sermon preached after Pentecost in Acts 2 in declaring “this Jesus that you crucified”? Surely, that would have angered them against him and caused them to disregard his message altogether, no? I seemed to have read that three thousand souls were added to the kingdom that day.

And what of the impact men of God through time have made by directly addressing the sin of their day? Charles G. Finney, the great revival preacher, recorded in his Memoirs, “I had made up my mind on the question of slavery, and was exceedingly anxious to arouse public attention to the subject. In my prayers and preaching, I so often alluded to slavery, and denounced it, that a considerable excitement came to exist among the people.”

Billy Sunday’s famous “Booze” sermon: “I am the sworn, eternal and uncompromising enemy of the liquor traffic. I have been, and will go on, fighting that damnable, dirty, rotten business with all the power at my command. I shall ask no quarter from that gang, and they shall get none from me.”

There’s obviously more but I’m short for time. I believe we will be held accountable should we as watchmen over our generation not proclaim God’s judgment on the sin of our generation.

2013/7/7 9:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy