SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : American Preacher Arrested in London for Saying that Homosexuality is a Sin. Is This A Foretaste?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

American Preacher Arrested in London for Saying that Homosexuality is a Sin. Is This A Foretaste?

This is a 17:02 minute video in which Tony Miano shares about his experience of being arrested recently in London for his faith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZjwYfGXzVo&feature=youtu.be

I know Tony personally and know that he does not preach a hateful message toward homosexuals or any other groups. He preaches a biblical gospel in truth and love.

These are some examples of the gospel message he preaches so you can get an idea:

Greater Love Has No One Than This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qafeY1-zY

The Dangers of the Modern Gospel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFLIZf7qiWM

They Did Not Know They Would Die That Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhMmM-RgXB4

2013/7/3 13:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: American Preacher Arrested in London for Saying that Homosexuality is a Sin. Is T

Does the presentation of the gospel message HAVE to include a statement that homosexuality is a sin?

This of course is a rhetorical question but thought it might be a good thing to discuss.

The reason I ask is that there are many other sins that might also be mentioned but it seems that since homosexuality is a hot button issue, this is mentioned frequently. On a college campus, for example, it might be more relveant to discuss promiscuous sex of all kinds and binge drinking and drug use, and cheating on an exam or plagiarism.

I am not arguing that homosexuality is not a sin; according to the Bible it is. I am just curious how necessary it is to point it out specifically when presenting the gospel. Why not just say that the Bible says "all have sinned" and leave it at that? "All" means everybody, including homosexuals and heterosexuals.

2013/7/3 14:29Profile

Re:

Hi TMK,

I think the problem with avoiding this subject is that we have to ask the question " are we avoiding it because of the cultural winds that are blowing right now." Is it a fear based avoidance? I think that there are often times when the wisdom of the Holy Spirit will lead us one way or another depending upon which group or individual we are speaking too and I believe that is fine. But, if I stretch out your logic a wee bit further, should we avoid speaking about divorce or materialism in America because it is so prevalant? Where do we stop? Should we not just rather speak the truth in love as the Holy Spirit directs. In all the previous centuries in the West, when the Gospel was preached, men like Wesley and so on were actually physically attacked. It did not stop them preaching what they felt led to preach. I am not sure why the homosexual issue should be any different, especially since we see denomination after denomination falling to the pressure of society and , at best, keeping silent on the subject due to fear..............bro Frank

2013/7/3 14:53
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hey frank-

I understand where you are coming from, certainly.

I am wondering if there is something about stating out loud to a homosexual that homosexuality is a sin that makes it necessary to state specifically. I suppose if I was speaking one on one to a homosexual that I knew personally, it might be easier to discuss this if it came up. And he/she might rightly be able to point out some of my sins to me.

But in a public square, to call out homosexuality specifically may be unwise. This is because a homosexual who may have been listening to what was being said, and possibly under conviction, may stop listening at that point.

I would like to hear stories, if anyone has any, of a street preacher railing against homosexuality that results in a mass of homosexuals rushing the "altar" in repentance. If this happens on a regular basis, then I woudl concede that such a tactic may be effective.

2013/7/3 15:19Profile

Re: American Preacher Arrested in London for Saying that Homosexuality is a Sin. Is T

This is not the first time that someone in the UK has been both arrested and prosecuted for so called hate crimes likely to cause public disorder or engender fear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/8687395.stm

http://www.christian.org.uk/news/exclusive-video-preacher-arrested-by-british-police/

In the case of Mr McAlpine he wasn't even preaching but was having a private conversation with a women who initiated the conversation with him. A Community Support Officer overheard the conversation and decided to ask the woman after the conversation had finished if she was offended in any way. After this conversation between the Community Support Officer (No powers of arrest) Mr McAlpine was arrested by three full constables. He was eventually cleared of any offence. He pleaded not guilty in court. Had he pleaded guilty there is no doubt the plea would have been accepted.

Two other cases in the UK have been:

Harry Hammond, a pensioner, was convicted under Section 5 of the Act in 2002 for holding up a sign saying “Stop immorality. Stop Homosexuality. Stop Lesbianism. Jesus is Lord” while preaching in Bournemouth.

Stephen Green, a Christian campaigner, was arrested and charged in 2006 for handing out religious leaflets at a Gay Pride festival in Cardiff. The case against him was later dropped.

Just to show that the Brits are a balanced nation here's another American citizen falling for the injustice of British Justice.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/reviews/opinion/item/14991-american-arrested-for-anti-homosexual-statements

2013/7/3 15:20

Crime and Courts Act 2013 section 61 removes the word "insulting" from Section 5 of the Public Order Act.

It should not have been possible for the police to have arrested this brother as the section invoked, being section 5 was amended and came into force in april 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21020737

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/22/section/61/enacted

2013/7/3 16:52
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

TMK wrote:

Quote:
I am not arguing that homosexuality is not a sin; according to the Bible it is. I am just curious how necessary it is to point it out specifically when presenting the gospel. Why not just say that the Bible says "all have sinned" and leave it at that? "All" means everybody, including homosexuals and heterosexuals.

That's a great question. The answer I would give is that Jesus and the apostles didn't preach the gospel like that. Jesus preached against specific sins, not just in general terms. He preached that if you hate your neighbor you're in danger of God's Judgment, and that if you look with lust you commit adultery of the heart. He told the woman at the well she was living in fornication, and there are many more examples of Him preaching against specific sins. If we simply say that all have sinned many times it does not hit home. Romans 3:19 tells us that through the Law is the knowledge of sin. Many times people don't realize that the things they do are sinful, and they need to hear the truth in love.

2013/7/3 19:02Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Quote:
TMK wrote:
Does the presentation of the gospel message HAVE to include a statement that homosexuality is a sin?

This of course is a rhetorical question but thought it might be a good thing to discuss.

:) I was wondering exactly the same thing!

To me, the word "gospel" in and of itself is plural because it holds an abundance of things. But sadly, most of the people who get arrested seem to focus on "one" issue instead of presently the "gospel." (I'm sorry if I'm not being clear, most times there is a gulf between my mind and the keyboard!)

God bless,
Lisa

2013/7/3 21:37Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

The answer I would give is that Jesus and the apostles didn't preach the gospel like that. Jesus preached against specific sins, not just in general terms.

I agree with this post. Jesus spoke about specific sins. He did not worry about offending anyone. Infact he did not worry to offend the women who got married 5 times and was living with a man she was not married to. Those who get offended and hence did not listen to the Gospel are children of Satan, we do not need to worry about them. I know I will get hit for saying this but what I am saying is the paraphrase of what Jesus said in Matthew 15:13.

A true Gospel message should make people cry that they are sinners by bringing sin conviction in them. But the fact is it should not stop there. I once heard someone share about different sins in American society in a public meeting. I was very impressed and praised God for such a truth. But he ended saying come and join our Church instead of telling them the way Jesus. It is like a doctor who cut opens a patient and shows his cancer and then sends him off asking him to come another day to get the cancer removed without caring to stitch the cut.

A Gospel message should start with sin conviction and end with Hope in Jesus to overcome sin.

Now when you are speaking to a specific set of people if you have gift of Prophesy, you should always ask God to guide you on what to speak. If God guides you to speak about Homosexuality mainly then go ahead. God knows what Sin the group is struggling with.

2013/7/4 1:53Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

It is clear if you watch the whole of the recording posted that this preacher was not just picking on the one particular sin of homosexuality, but was preaching on all acts of immorality. It is just that one person hearing it decided to make an issue over this one.
Also he made it clear that he was going back to the same place to preach again, but had no intention of speaking about homosexuality, not because he wanted to avoid it, but because he did not want to speak about something just because it was now a hot subject. He wanted to be led of the Lord in what he preached. This showed me he had a good attitude and cannot be accused of a one issue preacher. I'm sure if he were asked about it, he would speak the truth without fear.

2013/7/4 5:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy