SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : KITES FLYING IN THE WIND

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

KITES FLYING IN THE WIND

In light of the recent decisions from the Supreme Court and the rapid move of the culture in regard to homosexuality, I thought about kites flying in the wind. I read a piece from one of the local pastors in my area. He pastors a huge Methodist church, somewhere in the region of 20,000 people. A very articulate man, very good speaker and communicator, the kind of man who, if he were not a pastor, would be a motivational speaker. His basic premise is that the homosexual issue is one of culture. That the few Scriptures in the New Testament that refer to homosexuality was basically just placating the culture of the day. He then falsely likened it to the same attitude the New Testament had, in his view, of slavery and the subordination of women. Now, anyone who knows Scripture knows that the New Testament does not condone slavery neither does it teach the subordination of women, so this pastor has created two straw men to support a non-biblical view.

Now I want you to see how this is going to play out going forward by those who I would describe as kites flying in the wind. And that simply means an entity that is taken up by the wind and flies in whatever direction the cultural winds blow, held by a very thin line. They will tell you that homosexuality in and of itself is not the problem, the problem is lust and adultery and lack of monogamy. They will level the playing field, so to speak, and contend that the sexual activity in and of itself is not the problem, it is a lack of self control within the relationship. So, if man marries another man and stays faithful to that man, then that man is in a right standing before God if he claims to be a Christian.

Now, do not get me wrong, I too believe in a level playing field, meaning, one is either saved or they are not. Therefore I would never discriminate against homosexuals based on the fact that they are homosexuals. I simply see them as I see all who are not saved, broken people or rebellious people or both. Is there a greater degree of brokenness in the homosexual community? Yes I would say so. Is there a greater degree of rebellion in the homosexual community? Yes, I would say so. Does that mean that I cannot love a homosexual as simply someone who is lost, broken and in rebellion? Of course not, Jesus came to seek and to save the lost, the Father so loved a lost world that while they were yet in their sins He sent His only begotten Son to seek and to save them. And so, as we move forward in our rapidly changing society , it will become more vital than ever to speak the truth in love. It will certainly come at a price and those who I would describe as " kites flying in the wind," are simply desiring to make themselves relevant to the culture.

If I rob a bank and get clean away, what should I do with the money? If I do good with the money, if I give it to charitable causes and help the poor, does this negate the fact that I stole the money in the first place? If you discovered that someone you knew had robbed a bank, a very nice person, someone that you like, and they asked you what should they do with the money, what would you tell them? Would it be okay to live a peacable life with the fruits of your robbery? ............Bro Frank

2013/6/30 16:18
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: KITES FLYING IN THE WIND

Quote:
That the few Scriptures in the New Testament that refer to homosexuality was basically just placating the culture of the day. He then falsely likened it to the same attitude the New Testament had, in his view, of slavery and the subordination of women. Now, anyone who knows Scripture knows that the New Testament does not condone slavery neither does it teach the subordination of women, so this pastor has created two straw men to support a non-biblical view.

Very good thoughts brother. It is actually not shocking that many pastors will go this way and accept this as the way to interpret these things. The minority that will stand against this and simply declare homosexuality (sodomy) as sin, as all Christians of 2000 years have will come under increasing persecution. That persecution in part is going to start from other Christians who want to see homosexuality categorized as a temptation and problem but not a damning sin that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

In many ways these pastors have compromised much earlier on against sin and using the world's ways in the Church. They were devoid of the anointing that they sought not instead by their own fleshly ambition built the church. It is no wonder God is against such "churches" for in the end they do not represent Him at all. They only malign the testimony of His Name and bring it into reproach in the eyes of many.

It is a time to stand dear brother as you alluded to for the sake of the Truth and Christ.

2013/6/30 18:18Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: The almost gospel

Wasn't it Len Ravenhill who noted that if Jesus had preached the way modern preachers do He would never have been crucified?

It is so connected to the money. When you have a multimillion dollar annual budget, dozens of church project commitments, and a full staff of people, you just have to tone it down or the purses- I mean people might leave. Most people will not hang around to hear a salted message they really need to hear.

I was in high school back in around 1962? when our Presbyterian pastor invited a guest speaker for a short series of meetings. With my other goofball youth group friends, we gathered on the front row as the church people chatted and jostled their way slowly to their seats. I'm sure they were expecting a good talk with interesting stories from the stranger seated on the platform.

The pastor was yet to come to the platform, so the man sat there by himself watching the town's prominent citizens file in.

That's when I heard it. I didn't know at the time, but it was the first deadly shot. The visiting speaker muttered just loud enough to hear- "Pigs!"

What followed was a series of messages that ended up blowing the church up. It was that kind of preaching where Christ was presented both barrels, full commitment or no commitment, serve the Savior or serve yourself, but don't try to lie to God.

He didn't care about the money, he just threw the tables over like Jesus had some years before.

And the "Money" left the church.

It's a long story, and the Presbyterian church still stands, preaching the old gospel of good works and heavy syrup, what the people like. Pretty much forgotten is the strange little man who came to town and for the first time ever in that church the demands of God were laid out. Golly gee, but that was exciting, I shall never forget the time I heard the first word from the mouth of Leonard Ravenhill- "Pigs."

I think he got it right.

But because of that meeting, a friend of mine began a lifelong friendship with Len and Martha, hundreds of letters were exchanged over the subsequent years. Our mutual friend Dick would often read to me what Len had written, and I always felt like part of the group. I understood the angst godly men feel in an ungodly world. I stopped in to see Len one day at his home in 1986, had about an hour visit with one of the greats.

But I do digress. I guess the cash flow will always influence the way the gospel is delivered, sadly. Blessed are those who find men of God willing to preach a pure gospel despite the cost.

Thank you Len for being one of those!

2013/6/30 23:12Profile

Re:

Bro Greg writes....

"It is actually not shocking that many pastors will go this way and accept this as the way to interpret these things. The minority that will stand against this and simply declare homosexuality (sodomy) as sin, as all Christians of 2000 years have will come under increasing persecution. That persecution in part is going to start from other Christians who want to see homosexuality categorized as a temptation and problem but not a damning sin that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."

I agree brother, it is shocking. The pastor I referred to was invited to pray at the presidential breakfast because the original speaker was dropped because he had spoken against gay marriage. Yet to me, this issue is merely the tip of the ice-berg, it simply displays the worldliness of a professing church that actually has more in common with the world than they do with genuine saints. They would rather be an enemy to the saints than be counted as an enemy to the world. I think of Phil 3 and those who are said to be " enemies of the cross of Christ." And they are enemies ultimately because they " mind earthly things" ..............bro Frank

2013/7/1 15:02
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

It is exactly what the scripture has said would happen. There are tares among the wheat.

2013/7/1 16:44Profile

Re:

Yes, it is unfolding as Scripture has warned us........bro Frank

2013/7/2 0:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy