SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Kind Of Music God Likes

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
nimble

Re:

As a young guy I think about this area a lot. Many of my contemporaries are really "into" this whole scene, and music plays a central part in how they think about there faith. Many young people's meetings are dominated by what is commonly called "The Worship". This term has become almost universal to describe music in a congregational setting.

In the NT (apart from Revelation's trumpets etc) I can only think of three or four references to songs/ music (psalms, hymns and spiritual songs x2; James' "is anyone cheerful? let him sing psalms" and again in Corinthians singing in the Spirit/ with understanding + is there a reference to Jesus and the Disciples singing a hymn somewhere... maybe Mark?). So why then does this little-touched-on subject make up 80% of many of our meetings? I think, sadly, that "creating moods" might have a great deal to do with it...
What do you reckon?

2005/3/17 9:20Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Personally i like all kinds of music. I happen to believe that Jesus' favorite kind of music is bluegrass. ;-)

Krispy

Wellll, hallaluer! I rekon so! Bluegrass? I live in Ky and don't even like it. Sorry, just trying to give ya hard time Krispy

I personaly think God is a fan of urban Gospel (Freddy Hammond, Joel Pace etc.). Really I think God is pleased when the music we offer up is for his glory and glorifies Him. Not to be reduntandt, but I've heard nearely every type of CCM and other brand of Christian Music--there is some that really glorify God and then there are some songs that you don't know if they're talking about Jesus or a burrito, it's so vauge.
I also think it has a lot to do with the spirit attached to the music. Coletrane, who as far as i now was a believer, can blow his sax and it is great! The music is beautiful and most of the time (at least on love supreme) you get the distinct impression that it is not for the audience but for God.

I think it has to do with heart. If your heart is right beofe God, then the music that flows out of it will be also. if your motives are pure then your music will be too.

Then I have to consider that we are mostly speaking in trends of Western culture. What about poland or Germany? I;d say (not trying to be offesivie or funny) they may have debates on wether or not to do hymns with accordians and such. Like wise, in many Latin places, they incorperate beats and rythms that we would consider a little improper in most orthadoxed churches.

Pray about what you listen to and if it jives you the wrong way, pray for the musician. As far as the where to draw the line. . . that's a whol other thread.

2005/3/17 9:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
So why then does this little-touched-on subject make up 80% of many of our meetings? I think, sadly, that "creating moods" might have a great deal to do with it...

Great comment here nimble. There is a story that when Watchman Nee visited England he was asked his overall impression of the church. His quaint answer was 'too much little book, not enough big book'.

There is a massive presumption that you haven't had a meeting unless 50% of it was music and at least 10 mintues notices. Why? keep asking that question! :-D

2005/3/17 9:39Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
'Personally i like all kinds of music. I happen to believe that Jesus' favorite kind of music is bluegrass'

Excellent!! That is very good news for all us bluegrass fans!

This wouldn't have anything to do with you playing a five string banjo would it? :-P

2005/3/17 9:40Profile

Re:

i have listened to a few sermons by Keith Daniel (as i'm sure many of you have)...it seems to me that he is very much against many kinds of music including Christian rock. This kind of position is new to me but when a man like Keith Daniel says it I wonder if there is merit. i feel like i have to take him seriously because he is obviously a man of God...any thoughts on why he and others are so against?

I personally don't listen to anything that is not worshipful (except once in a while when my wife and i listen to some old crooners) - just a personal thing. but i have been wrestling with this lately (i don't miss the other music but i wonder why some like Keith Daniel are so against it). So your thoughts would be very helpful.

Thanks

2005/3/17 9:45

Re:

Quote:
As a young guy I think about this area a lot. Many of my contemporaries are really "into" this whole scene, and music plays a central part in how they think about there faith. Many young people's meetings are dominated by what is commonly called "The Worship". This term has become almost universal to describe music in a congregational setting.

In the NT (apart from Revelation's trumpets etc) I can only think of three or four references to songs/ music (psalms, hymns and spiritual songs x2; James' "is anyone cheerful? let him sing psalms" and again in Corinthians singing in the Spirit/ with understanding + is there a reference to Jesus and the Disciples singing a hymn somewhere... maybe Mark?). So why then does this little-touched-on subject make up 80% of many of our meetings? I think, sadly, that "creating moods" might have a great deal to do with it...
What do you reckon?

You have impressed me... for a [i]"young guy"[/i]. It's refreshing to see someone "young" thinking in this manner. Well done. (By the way, what is "young"? I'm 37 and I think I'm still young! :-P

I think you've hit on an excellent point, nimble. Where do we see "ministers of music" in the NT? Where are "worship leaders"? It's not in there.

What is in there is... [i]1Co:14:26: How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you [b]hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation.[/b] Let all things be done unto edifying.[/i]

We see the word "psalm", and we can determine by this that music has a place in the gathering together of the believers... but it is by no means as prominent as we see it today. It [b]is[/b] used as "manipulation" of sorts, in order to get the congregation "in the mood". Or, as most "worship leaders" refer to it: ushering the people into the presence of God.

I'll tell ya what ushered me into the presence of God... salvation!

Music can help us focus, so I'm not in anyway saying that it isnt important... I just feel it's over-emphasized.

As to "music ministers" or "worship leaders" ... we treat that like these people have a special spiritual gifting from God. But what does the Bible say about what gifts and people He has placed in the churches?

[i]1Co:12:28: And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.[/i]

(please dont let this venture off into a conversation about tongues... there are other threads for that. Lets stay focussed!)

Krispy

2005/3/17 9:45

Re:

Quote:
Then I have to consider that we are mostly speaking in trends of Western culture. What about poland or Germany? I;d say (not trying to be offesivie or funny) they may have debates on wether or not to do hymns with accordians and such. Like wise, in many Latin places, they incorperate beats and rythms that we would consider a little improper in most orthadoxed churches.

Rock music has permeated the entire planet... other countries have to deal with this issue too.

Krispy

2005/3/17 9:47

Re:

Quote:
This wouldn't have anything to do with you playing a five string banjo would it?

I dont play the banjo... but I can pick a mandoline! Long live Bill Monroe! (even tho he's dead)

Krispy

2005/3/17 9:49
nimble

Re:

Hi Krispy - I'm 20!

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I'll tell ya what ushered me into the presence of God... salvation!

exactly! that's where its at.

Oh, and my little brother plays the Mandolin! haha long live Chris Thile! (sorry clueless, couldn't help it ;)

2005/3/17 10:03Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
(please dont let this venture off into a conversation about tongues... there are other threads for that. Lets stay focussed!)

Hi krispy,

Are you referring to this passage?

What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. (I Corinthians 14:15)

Or

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Colossians 3:16)

Or

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; (Ephesians 5:19)

Of course the 'model' for thansgiving, praise, and worship is based upon:

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. (Psalm 100:4)

This is a metaphorical progression entering the Wilderness Tabarnacle. It is a commentary as it were on:

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4)

Moreover we are told to set our affections on things above and not on the earth. This is to be a literal house from which prayer and praise unto God is offered up unto God continually; that is the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name.

It is called - the Sacrifice of Praise!

If we find our primary expression of Faith towards God in thanksgiving, praise, Worship, study (as do the Jews) and service in pure religion, it will protect us from finding our expression in other negative things.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/3/17 10:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy