Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The finished work of Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
rbanks

The finished work of Christ

Now I have come to believe that Christ accomplished everything for the redemption of the believer. I believe our labor (work) is to believe to a rest by faith in His finished work.

Hebrews 4:8-11 (KJV)
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

This is how I want to begin this thread and would like for others to contribute with any view you may understand because I desire to understand the scriptures more fully.

I believe there are many godly christian brothers and sisters on SI, even though we may see things in a different perspective, who can bring some insight to this discussion.

All I ask is that we be cordial to one another so we can make this a prosperous journey!

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2013/6/28 17:48Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: The finished work of Christ

Brother,

Good topic. In the Principles Book on Gospel Fellowships there is a chapter that speaks on this that I will add here also:

Principle 10 – Preaching the Good News (pdf )
http://gospelfellowships.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/59-61.pdf

"All Christian service is based on the finished work of Christ. The early Apostles did not go around preaching a Gospel of works or a message of believers needing to do so much to enter heaven but rather all godly living was out of appreciation of the mercy of God. “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.”

They had the Good News message of the resurrection of Christ and the hope of trusting in Him for eternal life. This message of God’s love is open to all humanity and is not to be a message of condemnation.

The finished work of Christ is something that was preached by the Apostles through everything they did. When they partook of the Lord’s Supper it celebrated the resurrection and sacrifice of Christ. When they baptized individuals it spoke of the work of Christ in redeeming us from death to life. All doctrines were centered in the Good News of our redemption through the cross of Christ Jesus. “In him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace.”

2013/6/28 18:30Profile
rbanks

Re:

"All Christian service is based on the finished work of Christ. The early Apostles did not go around preaching a Gospel of works or a message of believers needing to do so much to enter heaven but rather all godly living was out of appreciation of the mercy of God. “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.”

They had the Good News message of the resurrection of Christ and the hope of trusting in Him for eternal life. This message of God’s love is open to all humanity and is not to be a message of condemnation.
Quote-Greg

Thanks Greg! I believe the gospel must be presented as good news because of the finish work of Christ as the sinners great hope of everlasting life.

I'm also wondering how people interpret this:

Hebrews 4:11 (KJV)
Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Is this not a continue laboring to enter into His rest for the present to the future as going from rest to rest, faith to faith, and glory to glory.

It's seems that we are always to labor or strive in the Lord to go from faith to faith as the only way to enjoy a continued rest in the Lord because if we don't we will fall back into unbelief or disobedience.

Paul says we are not to be of them who draw back unto perdition but of them who believe unto the saving of the soul. The Lord also says not to be lukewarm or complacent nor to lose our first love. We must be continually striving and seeking the Lord in order to please Him and to enjoy a continue rest in the Lord or else we will fall back into sin.

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2013/6/28 20:51Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Dear bro's,Greg and rbanks,

I have considered about contributing,because of bro.Greg,...but please,..I am not trying to be offensive I believe I have a differing thought on this subject,..and in respect of him,..being owner of this forum / website.,..I do hope it's alright ?

Bro.rbanks,I have been studying Hebrews from chapter (1),since you
posted,...and find so many things,.....

First though,bro's rbanks and bro.Greg,....please ?...I am not saying this
harshly,but I hear ones continuely saying "The finished work of Christ "
Does the Word say it like that,or does that phrase come from where
Jesus says " It is finished " ?...

When Jesus said, "It is finished" ,...to me He is saying, He has made an entrance for us to enter in,..through His Blood sacrifice.and the Good
News is,...,He has made " a Way" for us,that we didnot have before,...through Grace,drawing us unto the Holy Spirits will.... ( Blood,Grace,Holy Spirit )
( "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God,THEY ARE the children
of God." )

* Heb.3,..( I believe starts out saying that The Lord must build the house,through His Spirit,...and in the Pslams it says "except God build the house,they labor in vain that build it." and He builds it by being " Led by the Spirit of God " in vs.(6) I believe it to be saying,..If we hold firm our confidence rejoiceing and hope that He is building it to the end...

Then he says, vs.(7) Wherefore,...( why does he say "wherefore" ) ?
* as the Holy Spirit saith,Today if ye will hear my voice,vs.(8)Harden not your heart...( for instant: "Oh ,that is not The Lord talking to me,..and harden my heart against His Voice,..yeld to my temptation to not listen to His leading / voice,..then I could not have / enter into rest / peace with Him.

And that " Today,is today,and tomorrow,is Today,..and on and on is Today
when He wants us to " Hear His voice",and not go into the temptation to not listen to His voice...Harden our hearts.

And Hebrews speaks about:

(2:16), ..." But He took on Him the seed of Abraham,"...what is the seed of Abraham ?..would it be Abraham 's faith,..belief in God speaking ?
If so,What did both these men do when God spoke ?..Didn't they do,..
although it was VERY HARD things that He commanded them both to do.
* Abraham,...to take his son's life.
* Jesus,..To die for us

they both,..not my will, but yours Lord,..Hearing God' voice,....obeying.

Doesn't hear His voice / obey = faith / believe ?

I know this is some hard sayings,..and thank you so much for letting
me share.

Blessings,
elizabeth

2013/6/28 23:53Profile
Sree

Re: The finished work of Christ

I will not call it the finished work of Jesus as I find it unscriptural. To me the term appears that the work is finished. No it is not finished (I can prove it with scripture). I would rather call 'accomplishment of Jesus to redeem us'.

I agree to certain extent with Greg, though I do not agree with the term 'Finished work' used in his post. I believe we should avoid using unscriptural terms as much as possible, especially when you are writing a book to guide others or teaching others. One can hardly point out Brother Zac Poonen using such terms.

I agree with Greg in Spirit that Jesus should be our foundation. No matter what spiritual height we reach Jesus should always be the center. It is because of what Jesus has accomplished for us we are qualified to have this spiritual life.

Jesus defeated Satan on the cross and redeemed us from the grip of Satan. But we should still continue the fight. This is why Paul is asking Timothy to fight the good fight. If the Battle is over already then what fight is Paul asking Timothy?

To rest with Jesus means to continue the fight not by our own strength but by God's grace. In both case the fight has to continue. The good work need to be produced. We need to workout. But the Good news is God is working inside us to clean us from Inside and we need to workout and cooperate with him. Without our cooperation we will only be hindering the Holy Spirit and Grieving him.

I would give a picture of a man being rescued from Fire by a fire fighter. The fighter throws a rope and pulls the man out of fire. The man caught in fire still needs to keep holding the rope, to come up. At any stage he can hinder the firefighter's efforts by dropping the rope. Now when the man is rescued, he gets no credit for holding the rope. But will give all the glory and honor to the firefighter who rescued him.

2013/6/29 2:25Profile

Re:

I don't see anything wrong with using terms/words that are not in scripture. Trinity is one example.

Christ achieved for us on the cross, everything that we need for us to be restored to the state for which we were created, but there is a part for us in this but it must be devoid of all working from our own strength.

For our part we must be willing to submit entirely to His working but that does not mean that we are to be passive. There is still a fight but it is not a fight against our flesh which must be seen as crucified with Him.

The fight is not to produce good works, He does that, but there is a fight to keep this position. We must stand on His promises and stand against the enemy. As Sree says it is co-operation, Him providing the instigation and power, and we keeping ourselves empty and our hands clean.

2013/6/29 2:46
brothagary

Re:

since the bible is the standard ,,does the bible say we cant uses expressions or words that are not in the bible,,iv not read that

what else can we have our hope based upon except god and his expression of mercy in his chosen method of redeeming substatusanary atonement involving expiation among other principals and wording for appeasing gods wrath propitiation

I think we can also rest upon more then this ,,his intercessory office in heaven ,his own prayers on the earth ,his own promises in his word ,,the seal of the spirit,the witness of the spirit

but realy its all his work , his words are also his work

our endurance till the end wont come from us thinking we must add to gods works , by thinking WE MUST DO THIS OR THAT OR WE MUST COOPERAT AND HOLD ON TO THE ROPE

or faith must be on him and what came out of his mouth and what still comes out from god

faith in future grace and the finished work will keep our weak hands attached to the rope

our strength wont come from thinking i must trust in my self to cooperate ,, we need not focas on us but only him ,,lets have a godly bias and be dead to our self's

and trust in the one who can be trusted

we will fail if we hold trust in our selfs ,,god will make sure of that ,if we are his

who could rest in peace if any of this was up to us to accomplish

there is no assurance in that

blessings

2013/6/29 6:07Profile
brothagary

Re:

4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

hi brother rbanks

i would personally keep that verses in context the with whole chapter ,and the verse 4;10 seems to me to indicate the reality of a true believer is that he is entered in to the rest spoken of and an evidence of that is he has givern up of him working his way into the grace of god ,but the grace of god has worked his way into the believers heart

he has ceased works in that sense

labour spoken of here is what jesus spok about

he this is the work or labour of god that you believe in me the one whom god sent ,paraqoute ,,

faith is the only way that one will have any real rest
of course it will produce works ,,,,for it is god who works in you both to will and do do for his good pleasure

much blessings

2013/6/29 6:34Profile

Re:

The temple in Jerusalem (built according to the pattern of the tabernacle) also had a veil between the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place. This was torn from top to bottom, when Jesus died on Calvary (Matt. 27:50,51). This signified a finished work that Jesus had done in His flesh.

By the time Jesus died on the cross, He had gone through the entire range of temptations possible for man and come out triumphant in every one of them. On the eve of His crucifixion, He could say, "Father, I have finished the work You gave Me to do" (Jn. 17:4). And with the completion of His offering Himself on the cross, the veil was rent. The way into the Most Holy Place was open at last.

Quotes taken from The Full Gospel by Zac Poonen

Hi Sree when I read your comment I thought to look through the scriptures and see just what the term "finished work of Christ" could mean if indeed it did not exist in that precise form. I found the scripture of course "it is finished" then I found the passage from John 17:4 and thought to myself should I post this verse and then be really smart and say "well actually it wasn't just the finished work of Jesus it was really a work of the Father". I thought no that may be literally true in one sense but the centrality of meaning is that Jesus worked according to the Father those works given to Jesus Himself. In short Jesus Himself finished the works which the Father gave Him to work.

Then I looked through Zac Poonen's book The Full Gospel and found the above paragraphs. Do you think that these are saying something different to Mr Banks OP?

2013/6/29 6:50
brothagary

Re:

amen brother Andrew

jesus did say some thing like i have finished the works my father gave me in the gospel of john

you know brother im also under the impression that jesus also did a redemptive atonmic work in the heavenlys according to what i read in in Hebrews ,he entered the heavens with his own blood ,,some how i think when he acended heaven it was then that his atonmic work was finished ,when he eneterd in to the thrown room with his own blood and then offered him self in the spiritual sense

blessings brother

2013/6/29 7:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy