SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are these verses for believers or non believers?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Are these verses for believers or non believers?

1 John 1:8-10
If we say we have no sin, we are decieving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word us not in us.

Do the above verses apply to believers or non believers?

Bearmaster.

2013/6/26 17:17

Re: Are hhese verses for believers or non beluevers?

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. My little children, these things write I unto you that ye may not sin. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.

American Standard Version. 1995 (1 Jn 1:8–2:2). Logos Research Systems, Inc.

2013/6/26 17:26

Re:

But Andrew do the verses apply to believers or non believers?

Bearmaster

2013/6/26 17:33
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re: Are hhese verses for believers or non beluevers?

It is a scripture for believers about unbelievers and those who are deceived by their false teachings. It presents a counter argument to what many believed--that they did not have any sin. He rebuttals with the true response of a believer--repentance and confession--and then again with what the world wrongly thinks.

2013/6/26 17:37Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Look at the verses andrew posted--He is writing to us.

2013/6/26 17:38Profile

Re:

If these verses are written for believers then two conclusions are drawn. One. Believers sin. Two. Believers need to confess their sins.

Are the two conclusions correct.

Bearmaster.

2013/6/26 18:27
joliboy11

Philippines

Re:

yes, John use the pronoun "we", thus he himself is included. This also disprove the idea that this is for "Christian beginners" only.

also: My little children, these things write I unto you that ye may not sin. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.

1 John 2:1-2 ASV

2013/6/26 23:18Profile
rbanks

Re:

Brother this is not hard if we read it in context that he is talking about believers. That we are suppose to walk in the light as He is in the light so that we can be in fellowship with God and the blood of Jesus Christ will cleanse us from all sin.

We are to walk in the light of the Lord to be cleansed from all sin by the blood of Jesus Christ so that we can have fellowship with God.

Continuing in sin breaks our fellowship with God but if we walk in the light as He is in the light we have fellowship and His blood cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin to be cleansed from then we lie and do not the truth because all have sin to be cleansed from because all have sinned.

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2013/6/26 23:46Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Are these verses for believers or non believers?

Quote:
bearmaster wrote:
Are these verses for believers or non believers?

I believe that unless the Lord opens the Scriptures to you, they are not for you. I would lean heavily that these verses apply to believers first.

God bless,
Lisa

2013/6/26 23:48Profile
PQ

Europe

Re: Are these verses for believers or non believers?

With all due respect to your question and your conclusion; my question to you is, why is your focus on sin?

The whole new testament is getting the born-again believer to realize that their sins are dealt with and they are indeed new creations and joint-inheritors with the LORD Jesus.

I always wonder why some people always wanting to convince believers that they are sinners.

Why not focus on righteousness & holiness.
It was GOD's idea to call us righteous. And as we behold as in a mirror that image, we are transform into that same image from glory to glory.

Not behold the image that we are sinners and we sin.

No offense intended, just my thought based on the understanding i have so far.

pq*

2013/6/27 0:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy