Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : wearing of pants(trousers) by women

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Jedibelove

Lagos, Nigeria

wearing of pants(trousers) by women

I live in Nigeria, where until recently wearing of pants by women is seen as sinful and preached against especially by conservative denominations. Brethren I need more infomation on this.

Jedidiah Ekanem

2013/6/21 13:55Profile

Re: wearing of pants(trousers) by women

Edit: post deleted by author because unedifying.

2013/6/21 14:13
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Sister,

It can be a question of modesty and how a sister feels to be modest in her dress. It can also be a question of being distinct from men. Biblically in new covenant modest dress is encouraged amongst sisters. We are free to dress according to our conscience and how we interpretation Scriptures thus no one is put under bondage. The heart is utmost and important.

But to make others stumble by our liberty or by our convictions can be wrong also.

The early Christians were different not only in heart but practically in some ways, we need to ensure first our heart is holy and set apart before we feel in anyway the outward is important.

I trust that can help you navigating this abit to put emphasis first on your heart issues on the matter.

2013/6/21 14:25Profile

We started by allowing women open their hair, and like john calvin predicted, they now open their breast, we allowed women wearing trouser in the church, and today we also permit gay marriage. I am a nigerian, and if i understand the cultural mutation that has taken place amongst us, largely influenced by the west, i'll simply say like charles Finney Doubtful actions are sinful. The source and reason for a change matters more than the change in itself. On the surface it may look tolerable, but i must tell u point blank, the same spirit that drives gay is what is driving women to wearing trouser. Sorry if i hurt. Meanwhile if u're really sure of ur conviction then go ahead, i just felt i should place a red light, especially because u're in nigeria

2013/6/21 16:42

Re:

We have a Nigerian couple in our house church and they are a precious couple that love the Lord and live holy lives. They host a prayer meeting every Thursday. They also, have deep respect by others because they radiate Christ and walk in love. She wore baggy jeans last meeting.

2013/6/21 18:03
rbanks

Re:

quote-
On the surface it may look tolerable, but i must tell u point blank, the same spirit that drives gay is what is driving women to wearing trouser. Sorry if i hurt.
-quote Iyke

You can't be truly serious, for how can you be a true minister in love to others with this kind of attitude and discernment.

Matthew 23:23-28 (NKJV)
23 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!

25 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.
26 Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.
28 Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8 (NKJV)
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2013/6/21 20:29Profile
Jedibelove

Lagos, Nigeria

Re:

Thank you bro Greg. 2 decades ago you could hardly find a believer (sister) with pants. It was seen as a dressing for worldly ladies. Over time, western influence brought about this practice together with all other western lifestyle. Even though trousers is more tolerable today, some people especially those in the rural area will not regard ladies on pants as christians let alone listen to them preach.
I will want to know if ladies (believers) have always been wearing pants in the west. To what extent should we Sacrifice' our liberty for the sake of not being rejected by some for the gospel.

Bro Jedidia

2013/6/21 20:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The sister above quoted John Calvin here is the full quote which is a prophecy of sort that has come true:

“So if women are thus permitted to have their heads uncovered and to show their hair, they will eventually be allowed to expose their entire breasts, and they will come to make their exhibitions as if it were a tavern show; they will become so brazen that modesty and shame will be no more; in short they will forget the duty of nature. Further, we know that the world takes everything to its own advantage. So, if one has liberty in lesser things, why not do the same with this the same way as with that? And in making such comparisons they will make such a mess that there will be utter chaos. So, when it is permissible for the women to uncover their heads, one will say, ‘Well, what harm in uncovering the stomach also?’ And then after that one will plead for something else; ‘Now if the women go bareheaded, why not also bare this and bare that?’ Then the men, for their part, will break loose too. In short, there will be no decency left, unless people contain themselves and respect what is proper and fitting, so as not to go headlong overboard.”

- John Calvin

I again emphasize the heart is what matters and there can be godliness if the outward matches the heart.

It is utmost to be free in the heart towards the Lord and not have a religious obedience to any form of dress. Such will bring death to one's spiritual walk with the Lord Jesus Christ. The enemy has sown tares amongst the wheat and declares an outward form better than inward holiness. There should be a measure of the outward in a true believer but this is not ever first.

2013/6/21 20:51Profile

Re:

Some people think ostracizing others is the way to get them to change their ways and comply with the majority group. How healthy would that kind of environment be to fellowship with if you know your outward appearance is constantly being judged and you will be dis-fellowshipped unless you conform outwardly?

Greg, your post was excellent.

2013/6/22 0:45

I like colorful flowing skirts the best. Tight form fitting pants are so distracting. My wife wears Saris and Punjabi. Indian Style!

2013/6/22 3:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy