SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to win your battles

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

How to win your battles

The essence of preparedness can be seen and is highlighted at Gethsemane. This is where the battle of Calvary was truly won. Jesus fought the battle on His knees and by His obedience and willingness to embrace the will of His Father. This is where we too will prepare and will win the battle before it is even fought. It will be on our knees, and with an overwhelming desire to carry out the Lord’s will for our lives, even if it means actual martyrdom.

We must be willing to embrace the cross and all that it means, death to the flesh. Jesus reminded us that if any man sought to follow Him, that man would have to deny himself and pick up his cross daily . It seems that there are men who hate the notion of the cross and would deny this very teaching from the Lord's lips. Who are these men? Paul tells us who they are .............

For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things. (Php 3:18-19)

It is so important to note that these men Paul talks about are not enemies of Jesus, for they take His name and walk under the banner of Christianity, no, these men are enemies of the cross of Christ because it's the cross that offends men. They have no desire to pick up their cross daily, they simply just want to be blessed and live there best lives now. which is why the Lord says they mind earthly things.

Do not be fooled brothers and sisters, it is the work of Calvary that cleanses us and saves us, it is the work of yielding to God, picking up our cross daily, that sanctifies us. You note that we cannot sanctify ourselves, we can only surrender to the cross and willingly take it up and through that process, allow the Lord to shape and mold us into His image for His glory. In these last days, the enemies of the cross of Christ will rise up in boldness and deny it's work. Stay vigilant brothers and sisters, and note those who would take away from Calvary.

Keep your eyes on Jesus and your mind on things eternal. This will allow you to praise the Lord your God in everything and give thanks. For because of your eternal mind-set you will know that nothing will separate you from the love of Jesus. Persecution cannot separate us, trials and tribulations cannot separate us, those who seek to kill us and death cannot separate us from the love of Jesus for we know that for His sake we are killed all the day long and that we are counted as sheep for the slaughter.

We know this because we know Jesus and we know His word.Yet we also know that in all of those things we are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus because of His great love for us. And so brothers and sisters ” I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor powers,nor things present,nor things to come,nor heights nor depths, nor any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus.”

Look forward saints, look upwards and cast your spiritual eyes into things eternal, to our resting place and you will overcome because he is your Lord and Savior Jesus and your eternal reward will be to dwell with Him. There is nothing in this world that is worth more than this.

2013/6/18 10:57
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: How to win your battles

Quote:
Do not be fooled brothers and sisters, it is the work of Calvary that cleanses us and saves us, it is the work of yielding to God, picking up our cross daily, that sanctifies us. You note that we cannot sanctify ourselves, we can only surrender to the cross and willingly take it up and through that process, allow the Lord to shape and mold us into His image for His glory. In these last days, the enemies of the cross of Christ will rise up in boldness and deny it's work. Stay vigilant brothers and sisters, and note those who would take away from Calvary.

Amen to what is written there. Any teaching, doctrine, fellowship, church, brother, sister, leader, apostle, book, that leads you to trust in your own righteousness or pursue godliness apart from, through the cross of Calvary is a counterfeit. All things are from to and from Jesus Christ. To Him be praise and glory in all things.

2013/6/18 15:56Profile

Re:

Bro Greg writes..........

"Any teaching, doctrine, fellowship, church, brother, sister, leader, apostle, book, that leads you to trust in your own righteousness or pursue godliness apart from, through the cross of Calvary is a counterfeit. All things are from to and from Jesus Christ. To Him be praise and glory in all things."

Yes and amen!.............. bro Frank

2013/6/19 0:05
MaryJane

Look forward saints, look upwards and cast your spiritual eyes into things eternal, to our resting place and you will overcome because he is your Lord and Savior Jesus and your eternal reward will be to dwell with Him. There is nothing in this world that is worth more than this.

This has been my prayer, to know only CHRIST. Not to merely know about HIM as if He were a lesson to be learned, but to know JESUS so completely that HIS will becomes the desire of my heart. To know HIM so fully that I willingly take up my cross and live moment by moment of each day in submission to HIM. To keep my heart, my eyes, and my life so intertwined in HIM that my feet never stray from the narrow path.

Thank you for this reminder that here in now is but a flash in time, it passes so quickly but our real life begins with HIM for all eternity!

God bless
mj

2013/6/19 10:01Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Quote:

Hello friends, may I try and be gracious here, but this makes no sense whatsoever.

How can you say that:
Quote:
Do not be fooled brothers and sisters, it is the work of Calvary that cleanses us and saves us

and then in the same sentence say that:
Quote:
... it is the work of yielding to God, picking up our cross daily, that sanctifies us.,

You trying to add things to the whole process which do not appear in scripture. As I have mentioned elsewhere its a mixture of law and grace. We are washed, we are sanctified, we are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ by the spirit of God. How much clearer do you want it.

These are weighty words used here, which, if properly understood would change our understanding of what happened at Jesus Christ's death, burial and resurrection. Justified, Sanctified, epic words!!! We have the habit of thinking, what's my roll in this process, because the flesh will always want to glory in playing some part in a process which is so Gods work that it humiliates the proudest man. The answer is nothing, believe and receive!

Picking up our cross has nothing to do with our sanctification, if it did then there could be something that I could do to make myself right with God, and flesh could glory in its achievement. Thats the whole point of Philipians 3, Paul goes into great detail of what his 'credentials' were and he ultimately considered it dung compared to the surpassing glory of knowing Christ Jesus his Lord.

The enemies of the cross that are referenced are men who don't think the cross is enough, read Philipians 3 and see for yourself. Its not to good to be true, its so good because it is true.

This salvation is more wonderful than you and I know and it behoves us to give even more praise and glory to Jesus Christ when we see just how much he really did for us.

I just feel that this is such a deep foundation truth that we rush away from calvary so quickly without fully understanding what happened when we were born again. We can claim nothing of ourselves, its all about him, and when we really see that we have no part to play it drives us further onto our faces in deep love for our Saviour Jesus Christ.

2013/6/20 6:37Profile

Re:

HI bro Zeke,

First of all, there are tow different subjects being discussed in this piece, salvation, then sanctification. Picking up our cross daily has everything to do with sanctification. You must let the words of Scriptures and their plain meaning speak to you. You cannot put a theological grid over Scriptures, using pre-conceived notions, them come to conclusions that you sought to arrive at in the first place. This is the great error, in my opinion, of Calvinism ( no debate please on calvisism, actually any ism)

Phil 3 is clearly speaking of believing Jews. In order to have context, and not take a text out of context and arrive at a pre-text, one must read the whole chapter for the meaning, then the whole book , then of course, all of Scripture. In verse 2 Paul writes..........

"Php 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh."

Here he is speaking of the judaizers, believing Jews who had spied out their liberty and had tried to keep the new believers under a yoke of the law. For a more respected viewpoint on just who are the enemies of the cross of Christ, and in fact you are the first voice I have heard suggesting otherwise, here is what Matthew Henry says........

1. There are many called by Christ's name who are enemies to Christ's cross, and the design and intention of it. Their walk is a surer evidence what they are than their profession. By their fruits you shall know them, Mat_7:20. The apostle warns people against such, (1.) Very frequently: I have told you often. We so little heed the warnings given us that we have need to have them repeated. To write the same things is safe, Phi_3:1. (2.) Feelingly and affectionately: I now tell you weeping. Paul was upon proper occasions a weeping preacher, as Jeremiah was a weeping prophet. Observe, An old sermon may be preached with new affections; what we say often we may say again, if we say it affectionately, and are ourselves under the power of it.
2. He gives us the characters of those who were the enemies of the cross of Christ. (1.) Whose God is their belly. They minded nothing but their sensual appetites. A wretched idol it is, and a scandal for any, but especially for Christians, to sacrifice the favour of God, the peace of their conscience, and their eternal happiness to it. Gluttons and drunkards make a god of their belly, and all their care is to please it and make provision for it. The same observance which good people give to God epicures give to their appetites. Of such he says, They serve not the Lord Jesus Christ, but their own bellies, Rom_16:18. (2.) They glory in their shame. They not only sinned, but boasted of it and gloried in that of which they ought to have been ashamed. Sin is the sinner's shame, especially when it is gloried in. “They value themselves for what is their blemish and reproach.” (3.) They mind earthly things. Christ came by his cross to crucify the world to us and us to the world; and those who mind earthly things act directly contrary to the cross of Christ, and this great design of it. They relish earthly things, and have no relish of the things which are spiritual and heavenly. They set their hearts and affections on earthly things; they love them, and even dote upon them, and have a confidence and complacency in them. He gives them this character, to show how absurd it would be for Christians to follow the example of such or be led away by them; and, to deter us all from so doing, he reads their doom. (4.) Whose end is destruction. Their way seems pleasant, but death and hell are at the end of it. What fruit had you then in those things whereof you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death, Rom_6:21. It is dangerous following

2013/6/20 7:17

Re:

Can it be any more simple than this?

"If you love me, obey me" and "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you."

"Why do you call me Lord, Lord and do not do what I say?"

With that said, has the Church given up on "personal righteousness"? Does God require men to be righteous or do we just say, "I am righteous because of Christ?"

Without righteousness the glory of God will not abide among men. Is it enough to be "declared righteous" and to say we are "justified", yet not exhibit any real fruit?

Should there be some manifestation of the work of righteousness by the Spirit in a person. Is there suppose to be a manifestation of the reality of Christ in our lives?

True or False: "be ye holy, for I am holy" is a suggestion?

Paul and James are not contradictory at all. They are addressing different two false views.

Paul is fearful of dead works without a living faith.
James is fearful of a dead faith that produces no good works.

2013/6/20 8:11

Re:

Quote:
He gives us the characters of those who were the enemies of the cross of Christ. (1.) Whose God is their belly. They minded nothing but their sensual appetites. A wretched idol it is, and a scandal for any, but especially for Christians, to sacrifice the favour of God, the peace of their conscience, and their eternal happiness to it. Gluttons and drunkards make a god of their belly, and all their care is to please it and make provision for it. The same observance which good people give to God epicures give to their appetites. Of such he says, They serve not the Lord Jesus Christ, but their own bellies, Rom_16:18. (2.) They glory in their shame. They not only sinned, but boasted of it and gloried in that of which they ought to have been ashamed. Sin is the sinner's shame, especially when it is gloried in. “They value themselves for what is their blemish and reproach.” (3.) They mind earthly things. Christ came by his cross to crucify the world to us and us to the world; and those who mind earthly things act directly contrary to the cross of Christ, and this great design of it. They relish earthly things, and have no relish of the things which are spiritual and heavenly. They set their hearts and affections on earthly things; they love them, and even dote upon them, and have a confidence and complacency in them. He gives them this character, to show how absurd it would be for Christians to follow the example of such or be led away by them; and, to deter us all from so doing, he reads their doom. (4.) Whose end is destruction. Their way seems pleasant, but death and hell are at the end of it. What fruit had you then in those things whereof you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death, Rom_6:21. It is dangerous following

If we quote that which we agree with then let it be said plainly.

This quotation is an unreserved condemnation unto destruction of those of whom it speaks. Make no bones about it brethren. This is outright utter condemnation unto eternal death. The qualification concerns the meaning of whom it speaks. Neither can it be in doubt as to the present application against those of whom it now speaks. In the manner this is being applied in this post as in many other places on this site, it amounts to complete and utter condemnation as of the hand of God Himself on men to eternal destruction. Remember that! Who here is an apostle? Who? Say it or else stop speaking as though you were. Who here has authority to condemn all those who take the name of the Lord because they do not rise to the obedience of the cross?. It was Christ Himself Who bore the cross for our sakes, we do not bear the cross for our own sakes as unto eternal life, we bear it for Christ sake as unto His kingdom. It is utter condemnation to speak otherwise.

2013/6/20 8:30
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:
Picking up our cross daily has everything to do with sanctification.

May you please direct me to the passage of scripture that says this?
Quote:
You must let the words of Scriptures and their plain meaning speak to you.

Are you serious? What I quoted to you is straight out the bible. 1 Cor 3:11 says:
Quote:
And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. ESV

There it is as clear as day, what more can I say?

Quote:

Here he is speaking of the judaizers, believing Jews who had spied out their liberty and had tried to keep the new believers under a yoke of the law.

I think its quite ironic that we are having this discussion in the light of this passage.

So in the light of this passage and what you mentioned in your opening post whats the point?

2013/6/20 9:37Profile

Re:

I thought Jesus said "we cannot follow Him if we do not pick up our cross".

Matthew 16:24
24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Luke 9:23
23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

He also said this: Matthew 10:38
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Is this only about sanctification.

2013/6/20 9:49

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy