SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Called to jury duty

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rainydaygirl

Called to jury duty

Recently someone I know got called for jury duty and this has given me a lot to think about. I honestly don't think I could serve on a jury if I were called. I can't say its because of my Christian beliefs that I would have issue because I do not know of any Scripture verses that speak against serving on a jury but it would be a personal matter for me, especially if the cases involved violent crimes or abuse of children. I have not been summoned so far and I just pray that I never do. My friend did not have an issue with it though he felt if he was required to sit on a jury he could do so with out issue. I wonder if anyone else has ever thought about this and what your experience have been?

rdg

2013/6/13 18:53Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Called to jury duty

Jury duty is a sacred responsibility to keep power from corrupting rulers. By all means show up for jury duty, and consider it an honor to be selected to serve. You may never actually end up hearing a case, but if you do it will be something you will never forget.

The one case I heard was a shoplifting case, and the prosecution presented video footage of the crime being committed. We did not determine the punishment, we just confirmed that this person had done the deed.

My wife was on a murder case, and watched the prosecutor present a flimsy circumstantial case with glaring errors. It was a matter among some homeless people, and it became clear to my wife that the accused probably had not done the crime. She joined the other jurors and acquitted the man.

Had it not been for an impartial jury, the prosecutor would have had free reign to put the accused man in prison. The jury protected him wisely.

Jurors are usually selected from the rolls of registered voters, so if you are one of those it is likely you could be called. It seems to me to be in perfect keeping with Christian ethics that a love for justice would constrain you to serve.

2013/6/13 22:49Profile
allaboard

Re:

twenty

2013/6/14 0:19Profile
cryinthenite

We are to judge within the body of Christ only.Those in the world we do not judge we share the gospel only.Let the world deal with there own matters.Let the love of God dwell in our hearts by faith and then the world will see what God is like through us.Let us not kill or judge the world when our Lord died for such as these.Let us rather warn them with all humility and fear.

2013/6/14 0:50Profile
allaboard

Re:

nineteen

2013/6/14 1:08Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Thank you for your replies. Its interesting to see how others view this topic. For me personally I couldn't serve on a jury if there were certain kinds of crimes being tried over. My own personal history would just make the whole thing to difficult and I know I could not be impartial or at least I would have a very hard time doing so. I don't see it as a sacred responsibility for me to do so but I understand that others might have a differing view on it then I do.

rdg

2013/6/14 12:54Profile
allaboard

Re:

eighteen

2013/6/14 16:12Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

You will notice there are no juries in North Korea. No need I guess?

Did anything stir in your heart when the little 10 year old girl with Cystic Fibrosis needed a lung transplant to live but was denied by Health and Human Services director Kathleen Sebelious because she was just shy of the age requirement that would have allowed her to get an adult lung?

To the director, the rule was more important than the girl's life. "Some live and some die," she is quoted as saying.

It was public outcry and a federal judge that forced Ms Sebelius to waive the rule, and the girl now has both the lung and a chance at survival. This is the spirit of "the jury." It is a vital part of our defense against tyranny, and this battle never ends.

North Korea didn't just happen. Way too many people, at some point, dropped the freedom ball. And are now living under a wrecking ball.

2013/6/14 22:55Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

This is why people are getting away with murder. People who are capable of handling the responsibility of jury duty, avoid it leaving less qualified people to do the job.

Ruf

2013/6/15 0:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I have served so many times I forgotten the number although I do recall serving twice on the grand jury. Never have I experienced any guilt for doing so.

All a body is required to do is give voice whether there enough evidence to prove this person commit the crime as accused. In all the juries I served the sentence was determined by the judge. Not all cases have to do with a crime. There are business cases as well.

This has been my experience. I do want to please the LORD if I do serve. If the judicial system would be such that would prevent one from serving, I would in a heartbeat refuse. At this point in time I have a high respect for our District Attorney who works to be fair and honest. This becomes evident when cases are presented to the grand jury in which the jury will decide if the evidence is strong enough to be presented to the court for further consideration. In these cases the DA is on trial because the jury can question them about the evidence presented.

What does the scripture teach us? Some will declare it is a violation of the separation of the church and state to serve. When I serve, I am acting as an individual who believes in justice, right and wrong who gets her direction for life from the WORD. I am not the church but an individual. This to me is the difference. But then I also believe in Biblical non-resistance. To some this makes no sense. The waters can get murky here, but I sincerely believe if one cannot in good conscience serve, then don't. It may also be that in the future the LORD would have me refuse to serve.

My experience..

ginnyrose

2013/6/15 19:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy