Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : St Patricks Day

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Paulus

Celbridge Kildare Ireland

St Patricks Day

Hello to anyone out there that has ever prayed for Ireland.

As we celebrate the coming of the Gospel to Ireland, (altough some say St Pat brought the Roman Catholic faith) it is sad to report that it now just an excuse for many to indulge the flesh.

So this St Pats day please pray for the church in Ireland that we can reach the lost with this great message of hope that Jesus Christ is alive and soon returning.

Paul

2005/3/15 9:20Profile

Re: St Patricks Day

Quote:
(altough some say St Pat brought the Roman Catholic faith) it is sad to report that it now just an excuse for many to indulge the flesh.

He did bring RC to Ireland... is it any wonder that it's now just an excuse for many to indulge the flesh?

But since my ancestors came from Ireland & Scotland, I have a special place in my heart for those countries... and [b]yes[/b] ... I will join you in prayer, brother!

Krispy

2005/3/15 9:29
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Quote:
(altough some say St Pat brought the Roman Catholic faith)

In fairness we are dealing with times before the reformation. This was also true for Columba. God was still using these means and men to spread Christ to other territories. The hand of God was with the people all the way to Wyclif and beyond. We can look back now and critique- but God was certainly at work.

2005/3/15 11:07Profile

Re:

Quote:
In fairness we are dealing with times before the reformation. This was also true for Columba. God was still using these means and men to spread Christ to other territories. The hand of God was with the people all the way to Wyclif and beyond. We can look back now and critique- but God was certainly at work.

While this is true, lets not neglect to mention that God has always had a remnent of true Bible believers. The Waldensians come to mind... they had an incredible missionary impact on Europe, as well as translating the Bible.

People tend to think that between 300AD and the reformation there were no Bible believers... just the RCC. But this is far from true. For 1200 years the RCC persecuted and murdered true Bible believers (especially the Waldensians!), but those believers were tried by fire and came out as refined gold.

But history would have us forget about that.

Any gospel that got spread by the RCC was purely God using what Satan meant for evil and turning it around for good. The gospel was spread despite the RCC... not because of it.

Krispy

2005/3/15 11:39
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Any gospel that got spread by the RCC was purely God using what Satan meant for evil and turning it around for good. The gospel was spread despite the RCC... not because of it.

Please Explain?

2005/3/15 11:43Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

I used to tease an Irish Catholic co-worker on St Patrick's day by saying "Did you know he was not Irish or a Catholic?"

Celtic Christianity differed in some important particulars from the Roman Catholic version. To my mind the Synod of Whitby was a sad day.

2005/3/15 11:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
Please Explain?

OK... the RCC has never taught the truth of the Bible. It is a false religion. So to say that the RCC spread the gospel can not be true, because the RCC itself does not know the truth.

However, if the RCC came to an area of the world that had no contact or experience with Christianity, I believe God will use what little truth the RCC does teach to cause men and women to seek Him out.

Therefore... it is not because of the RCC or it's teachings that men and women may get saved, but in in spite of it.

Example, I just finished a book written by a former Jehovah's Witness. This man would probably not have come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ if he had not gotten involved with the JW's. Because of his association with the JW's he was exposed to the Bible (a faulty and horrible translation, but still enough truth in it). He questioned the JW doctrines, did his own study of the Bible he had... then bought a real Bible to further study... and he got saved.

Did he get saved because of the JW's? Absolutely not. He got saved in spite them.

Krispy

2005/3/15 12:01
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Therefore... it is not because of the RCC or it's teachings that men and women may get saved, but in in spite of it.

In the time of Patrick the teachings of the Universal Church had in no wise reached the level of heresy that they later would. We are talking roughly 430-460 CE. That is 5-35 years out from Nicea. (Edit) 105-135 years from Nicea.

2005/3/15 12:18Profile
moreofHim

Re: ?

Then what are we to say about Francis of Asissi, Francois Fenelon, John of the Cross, St Theresa of Avila, Madom Guyon, Augustine, etc.....?

In Him, Chanin

2005/3/15 12:19Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Then what are we to say about Francis of Asissi, Francois Fenelon, John of the Cross, St Theresa of Avila, Madom Guyon, Augustine, etc.....?

I have to ask the question; who does God use that He does not use them, "in spite" of themselves? Is our doctrine so pure that God can now use us without having to overlook somewhat? What about our shortcomings? Does God not use a person "in spite" of their shortcomings?

2005/3/15 12:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy