SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Prophetic statement by Carter Conlon about SermonIndex

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Prophetic statement by Carter Conlon about SermonIndex

Dear Saints,

We have asked many ministry leaders over the last year to write commendations for the ministry of SermonIndex. To show first that this ministry is supported by many leaders from different denominations and groups. Also to allow the brothers to share some reasons why the ministry is important to them.

I enjoyed reading brother Carter's comment that is encouraging towards the value of what has been assembled but also the danger for us to seek revival in a way that God did in the past but in the present hinder God in any new way He is working. Also to always be those who look at the past we will never make the future history.

May God give us a Biblical example of the body of Christ and to realize we are coming into the end times of all of humanity and our Lord Jesus Christ is coming back soon.

Here is the commendation:

'I deeply appreciate the fact that someone has taken the initiative to chronicle great sermons of the past. I personally find it good from the vantage point of study and encouragement. We must, however, be aware of the human tendency to idolize the past to the point where we so judge the present body of Christ that we lose our own fruitfulness and hope for the future. 'Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not inquire wisely concerning this.' (Ecclesiastes 7:10).'
- Carter Conlon (Senior Pastor of Times Square Church)

2013/6/11 13:55Profile
pilgrim777

Re: Prophetic statement by Carter Conlon about SermonIndex

That is a very poignant observation from Carter.

2013/6/11 20:48Profile
flameoffire

Michigan

I really would like to bump this.

I am certain that Carter Conlon has put his finger on a major conflict on this site. About two years ago I had to repent of this exact issue. May God give us ears to hear.

2013/6/12 9:59Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I do not believe the plague of our day is that people idolize the past but rather people are ignorant of the past, for which reason I appreciate the ministry of Sermonindex.

Are the old days better than these?
Well, depending on the location. God is working today and manifesting His mighty power in place like China, India, and others that used to serve the devil. from that perspective these days are better than the old ones.
But as far as the West is concerned, any casual observer would say the days of the past are better.

Carter Conlon does a lot of travel, and therefore sees God working around the world in great power. From his perspective these days are just as good as the old days.

2013/6/12 14:04Profile
turn

USA

Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, LEST AT ANY TIME WE SHOULD LET THEM SLIP. – Hebrews 2:1

Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, LEST THOU FORGET the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: BUT TEACH THEM THY SONS, AND THY SONS' SONS – Deuteronomy 4:9

...APPROVE THINGS THAT ARE EXCELLENT... - Philippians 1:10

The works of Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758) contain a funeral sermon for a civil magistrate and judge in which he lamented that there was no man of similar character to take his place.

The sermon text was Ezekiel 19:11-12 and the message asserted that it is God’s judgment when this man died and his gifts were no longer available.

Books and other writings preserve the words of great and godly men. Sound recordings also preserve the words of great and godly men.

Each person on the planet that I’ve ever met is unique.

As an example, from my POV, there’s been no replacement for
Keith Green for zeal and boldness and vision and leadership in Christian Contemporary Music.

As an example, from my POV, there’s been no replacement for J. Edwin Orr as a historian of revival.

There was only one Charles Spurgeon but what a legacy he left behind!

Pastor Chuck Smith has passed gifts to our generation that from my POV are unmatched by anyone else in pervasive influence.

Almighty God has given gifts to his people in diverse places and times but not every gift resides in every person or in every place or in every time.

The gifts of the generation of the Puritans in men like Thomas Brooks and John Bunyan have had no equal. One man can in one sermon can have an impact unlike that of any other man or any other sermon.

It is good to retain and not forget the words of the great and godly and gifted that Almighty God has provided in the past. Some gifts Almighty God provides only once.

IMHO.

2013/6/12 22:14Profile
dohzman

Good word. I think what happens is we read things of the past which engages our minds and we may have a tendency to over exaggerate what we are either hearing or reading of past accounts of revival. We than use that as a plumb line for the things that are happening in the church and it becomes very difficult to see the "now" in light of what we believe the past was. In the OT Israel had to follow the Cloud of Glory/ in the NT Jesus said follow Me. I love the simplicity of The Lord. True revival is simply following Jesus.

2013/6/12 23:18Profile
Jeremy221

This quote reminds of the thing Art Katz mentions many times from My Utmost for His Highest regarding disillusionment. The point being that the role of the Holy Spirit and through Him the Church is to destroy the illusions that we can know reality and life in Christ.

2013/6/12 23:34Profile
turn

USA

Re:

There is a sense in which we can romanticize the “good old days” of colonial America or the "happy days" of 1950’s America or the good old days of past church revivals. Our recall can be selective and the glory of the good old days may not always be so glorious as we recall it to be.

The RCC marked out an All Saints Day to remember the saints of the past but observance of this morphed into Halloween with its celebrations of death, devils and general mischief.

However, remembering is clearly a commanded part of the Christian faith. In the KJV, a search on the word “remember” returns 144 verses and “remembrance” returns another 52 verses.

REMEMBER his marvellous works that he hath done; his wonders, and the judgments of his mouth; - Psalm 105:5

And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in REMEMBRANCE of me. – Luke 22:19

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your REMEMBRANCE, whatsoever I have said unto you. – John 14:26

REMEMBER therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. – Revelations 2:5

In Philippians 3: 13-14, we do have a mention for Biblical forgetting but it conclusion and testimony is this: pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

In consideration of the whole counsel of God, it is good to discern and be biblical in our practice of both forgetting and remembering.

2013/6/13 8:36Profile
elias7291

Los Angeles

Re:

I agree with many here that the good ol days are long gone yet remain as an example for us. But I also agree with Carter that here on this forum we do tend to do too much church bashing in the name of the good ol days. Brother conlon I think encourages us to look at the past for guidance in these days but certainly not too bash the church today. Maybe that's why Greg labeled his statement "prophetic".

2013/6/13 13:22Profile
allaboard

Re:

Psa_137:1 By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.

When taken captive by Babylon it is ok to weep for Zion. A heart that has become comfortable in Babylon will not remember or yearn for Zion or have any desire to come out of her.

2013/6/13 15:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy