SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : ashamed of our carnality?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 ashamed of our carnality?

[b]“The church is so carnal and we are not even ashamed of our carnality.”[/b] - Brad Lambert

This quote was said in the first week of the Hebrews Class here at Calvary Chapel Bible School and its been hard to shake it. It is very true even of most of us who call ourselves Christians. We live selfishly for our own pleasure mixing abit of the world and abit of the spirit of God. But even worse many of us know that we are carnal and are living in lukewarmness. We know ALL about it yet we either don't take the step to change or can't or want to but just don't feel motivated to do so????

At the bible school there was a student that shared a devotion on Revelation 3:14-22 about the Laodicean Church. He asked point blank to the 1000 students here:.. "how many of you believe that the Church in our day is the Laodicean Church?" *(almost all the people put up their hands)... then he asked another pointed question:.. "how many of you know that YOU are lukewarm in your Christian walk?" *(this was followed with a large amount of the people putting up their hands.. including myself).

I AM ASHAMED of the way I am living.. -- Can this be your confession today? We need to get desperate for holiness, purity, to be blameless before the Lord, child-like innocence! I am praying for the Lord to take my desperatly wicked heart and change it! AND He is! come let us reason together.. though your sins be as scarlet ..

"We know we should be living better then we are living."
-Leonard Ravenhill

"Is the life you are living worth Christ dying for?"
-Leonard Ravenhill

[b]Revelation 3:18 (NKJV)[/b] - I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the SHAME of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

2005/3/14 20:59Profile

Re: ashamed of our carnality?

Yes I am ashamed of the way i am living today - i often say that the church is lukewarm...but so am I. So easy to catch a fire and then let it go out...so easy to get distracted! Desperation is absolutely what we need - what i need.

Thank you for that reminder...how i need to get desperate for holiness!!!

2005/3/15 0:26
Yodi

Escondido, California

Awesome post you started Greg. Great reply Stephen2.

My response? My reply? Well... the verse I've found myself meditating on and praying personally is [b]Psalm 139:23-24[/b]; [i]"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life."[/i] Conviction from the Holy Spirit seems to come so unexpectedly for me. I'll just be in the midst of living daily life and then God comes in and pierces my heart; calls up the deepest parts of me to light. And I find myself just... bare before the Lord. Just... letting myself be vulnerable to His examination and asking that He take the things in my life that offend Him and replace them with ways that please Him. Honesty is so key; is so needed.

I don't want to be like Adam and Eve, covering myself with fig leaves and hiding amongst the trees when I hear the Lord calling my name. I want to be walking in the garden with Him; [i]"I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses; And the voice I hear, falling on my ear, the Son of God discloses. He speaks, and the sound of His voice is so sweet the birds hush their singing; And the melody that He gave to me within my heart is ringing. And He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known."[/i]

Focusing on the goodness, perfection, consistency, and faithfulness of God is what gives me hope that it is possible to live in the Spirit rather than in the flesh, that the enemey doesn't have to be allowed to rip me off through my human weaknesses and failures. Rather than using the excuse that "I'm not perfect" to justify sin, I need to abide in the redemptive work of Christ, setting this captive free from my sins.

2005/3/15 17:01Profile
dohzman

Re: watch out for my feet.

I was feeling rather smug for a few minutes even after reading your post. I go through many fasts and much prayer before I enter the pulpit. Basically 24 hrs of fasting and at least 8 hrs. prayer per 1hr. of sermon. Much of this time is spent searching my own heart and praying for the listeners in intercession.Then I downloaded G. Campbell Morgan's "Purity by the Cross". That re-emforced what you wrote in some things and conviction came and then today in the middle of my day I had an encounter with the presence of The Lord in His Holiness that put me to my face in a public setting. Very humbling. Sometimes even religious ,"good things" , like fastings and prayers can become just that, religious good things. I appreciate you folks more than you'll ever know. God Bless. Bro. Daryl

2005/3/15 18:58Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Honesty is so key; is so needed.

I was recently touched by this compilation and really encourage anyone reading this thread to listen to it:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=6706]So Great A Salvation - Part 1[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=6818]So Great A Salvation - Part 2[/url]

Great comments Yolanda thank you for sharing. This thread just came out from a desire in my heart to live [b]wholly[/b] for the Lord. I believe its not something that can just happen but we can keep praying to the Lord to continue to refine and purify our hearts, allowing us to be more and more like Jesus. Spefically praying for God to remove those giants in our lifes and those habitual sins, public and private that he can redeem us from them fully.

2005/3/15 19:35Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

dohzman,

I loved what you posted. It was great to read your heart and what God revealed to you. God is doing such a faithful, refining work in so many of us.

greg,

That's the compilation you let me borrow, right? Oh man... then I agree. It totally cut to the heart. I was convicted, definitely. Saddened a bit by the fact that the sins that were spoken of have been my sins. [i]But[/i] God is faithful to set us free from our sins. I am so thankful for God's faithful work in my life and heart.

2005/3/16 19:55Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
That's the compilation you let me borrow, right? Oh man... then I agree. It totally cut to the heart. I was convicted, definitely.

yes its the same one! I pray that we are not just convicted but that it would drive us to God on our knees and that we would be changed, purified, cleansed and set right with God.

[b]James 4:8-10 (NKJV)[/b] - Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

Oh Lord do it! Draw us to you.

2005/3/16 22:30Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

To be honest with you all...

Upon first coming to this thread it caused one of those reactions like a dog twisting his head slightly to one side in puzzlement...

Huh?
Here?
This fellowship of the burning heart...

"Lukewarm"?

Be it ever so far from us!
Seems mostly the zeal is what gets many of us in trouble... That we might over do it not [i]under[/i]. So maybe I am totally out of the loop here, though I understand some of the sentiment.

But by way of encouragement and perhaps as an aside, was blessed and couldn't help bring this thread to mind as I listened yesterday in my travels to David Jeremiah and he was talking about Spiritual hunger. Many things stood out and sometimes you can anticipate where things are going but the cure to lack in this area and I agreed was;

Forced feeding! The old grabbing the thought's by the scruff of the neck and forcing them to sit down and eat! :-) (From Gods word of course)

If so inclined, you can hear it here:

Happy Are the Hungry
[url=http://www.oneplace.com/Ministries/Turning_Point/Archives.asp]http://www.oneplace.com/Ministries/Turning_Point/Archives.asp[/url]

Haven't heard the whole series, just the message from 3/16/05

You guys threw me for a loop on this one...
Warm water? At SI?....

2005/3/17 10:32Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Quote:
You guys threw me for a loop on this one... Warm water? At SI?....

The big thing that God has been hitting me with lately is [i]HONESTY[/i]. I know I love the Lord. Greg loves the Lord. Dohzman (D. Miller) loves the Lord. You love the Lord. [i]But[/i] if we were totally honest with ourselves... we're sinful. We think impure thoughts. We get angry and defend ourselves in the flesh. We don't have a bridle on our tongue, speaking without thinking. When we see that we're walking strong, we start relying on our own ability to do good and right. These are just some examples of Christian imperfection. The list could go on and on.

If it weren't for the Bible reminding me to be honest with myself concerning my sinful nature, I too would think I'm fine and good. It's so easy to just see the surface value of things; my surface value Christianity. But I know, we all know, as the Scriptures say time and time again, the Lord looks at the heart. He examines the deepest part of ourselves. The parts we hide, are blind to, deny, sweep under the rug, even justify. And I think that's what we're talking about here. Not necessarily the good Christian life people see being lived by us daily, but the deepest parts of our heart, and the hidden things in our mind and soul, that only God knows because He formed us.

[i]"People may think they are doing what is right, but the LORD examines the [b]heart[/b]. The LORD is more pleased when we do what is just and right than when we give Him sacrifices" (Proverbs 21:2-3)."[/i]

[i]"End the wickedness of the ungodly, but [b]help[/b] all those who obey you. For you look deep within the [b]mind[/b] and [b]heart[/b], O righteous God. God is my shield, saving those whose hearts are true and right" (Psalm 7:9-10).[/i]

[i]"You would not be pleased with sacrifices, or I would bring them. If I brought You a burnt offering, you would not accept it. The sacrifice You want is a [b]broken spirit[/b]. A broken and [b]repentant heart[/b], O God, You will not despise" (Psalm 51:16-17).[/i]

[i]"The LORD's searchlight penetrates the human [b]spirit[/b], exposing every hidden motive" (Proverbs 20:27).[/i]

And so, being honest with ourselves concerning the hidden things in the deepest parts of ourselves, we need to come to God humbly, open and bare, and ask Him to help us fulfill Jesus' commandment to, [i]"... love the Lord your God with all your [b]heart[/b], all your [b]soul[/b], and all your [b]mind[/b]. [b]This[/b] is the first and greatest commandment" (Matthew 22:37-38).[/i]

2005/3/17 13:44Profile

Re:

Many of us have zeal and sometimes that zeal gets us in trouble...but are we really really desperate for God???

i catch so often in myself a zeal for greatness (as a Christian saint) a zeal to be successful to be useful to be important - but i truly wonder how many among us are DESPERATE for God. I'm only musing (no accusations) as i reflect on some of the postings on this site.

Are we desperate enough that we'll throw off the sin that so easily entangles? Are we desperate enough that we'll be nobodies so that only God gets the glory? Are we desperate enough that we're willing to let EVERYTHING go?

Jesus said: "You don't know what you are asking! Are you able to drink from the bitter cup of sorrow I am about to drink?" (forgive me if i am doing a little isogesis) - are we willing to drink from that cup? Many of us are ready to sacrifice this or that but so often (for me anyway) there's a reward in it somewhere. I'll make sacrifices but am i desperate enough to be obedient in every area (not just the major ones)?

Maybe this is just me reflecting on my own state. my immediate friends would call me zealous (even fanatical), but so often it's not in a way that's ultimately important. i'm zealous enough to defend what i believe are important truths, i'm zealous to sacrifice sleep here and there, to fast here and there - but in all honesty i get exhausted just thinking about the lifestyles of some the men (like Brainerd) who have gone on before us.

maybe i'm just rambling. I'm having trouble communicating my thought - maybe this is not true of the other members of this site...

i just know i feel like one of those disciples ... apparently so eager to suffer with Jesus but unable to even watch and pray.

i've been on a journey of surrender with God one by one shedding the things that distract...i'm desperate enough to sacrifice (a death of some sorts has taken place) but is my life and my time filled up for God (or for me)...i have a long way to go.

I'm desperate enough to sacrifice, but to obey in everything?

i'm zealous and many of us are, but i truly don't think any of us will ever get desperate enough - could we ever get desperate enough to go through a Gethsemane?

i just know i have so far to go and i want to be more zealous. i want to be less complacent. my prayer is that my zeal today would be greater than yesterday and that that zeal would be even greater tomorrow.

i don't think i'll ever get too zealous/desperate (of course pride or other sin could accompany that zeal...something we all have to guard against) but there will ALWAYS be a danger of getting distracted; there will ALWAYS be a danger of slipping into complacency - may God help me! i'm afraid my greatest zeal will always be greatest for me.

i hope this posting hasn't been too confusing. Just thinking aloud. if you can relate let me know what you think. Perhaps, this post only reflects my own deficiencies...

Your brother in Christ,

Stephen

2005/3/17 16:58

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy