SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Did foster mom in Conneticut REALLY obey the Bible???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
dspks

Dakotas

Re: The Simple Truth

There are MANY ministries to choose from to help train children in Biblical truth.

If this dear lady wanted to deal with the child's soul she should have chosen a non-heathen program and employer.

2013/5/28 23:20Profile
dspks

Dakotas

Re: makrothumia

I agree with your post makrothumia.

2013/5/28 23:46Profile
dohzman

Re:

Littlefield was arrested after the girl's biological mother noticed bruises on her daughter's buttocks when the child bent over to pick up a toy during a supervised visit. Medical staff at the Pequot Health Center determined the girl's contusions appeared to have been caused by the repeated strikes of a blunt instrument.
Littlefield initially denied hitting the child but later said she spanked the girl with the spoon she was using to stir soup after the child struck her granddaughter, spat at her and used a racial slur, according to the arrest document.

Interesting to me that the child's real mom was the one who pressed the issue. Normally in these cases the mother of the child is herself an abuser in some form or fashion and that is why she had to have supervised visits. Neglect/abuse/whatever else.

(There are MANY ministries to choose from to help train children in Biblical truth.)

Your statement there is truly humorous:)....biblical truth says Proverb 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Proverb 22:15 Foolishness [is] bound in the heart of a child; [but] the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Prov 23:13-14/////Prov 29;15

There are a whole lot of examples also in God s dealings with us in scripture.

My best guess judging from real life knowledge of how news papers report cases like these is that the story is greatly exaggerated in order to gain public support and divert the real attention off of the dead beat biological MOM.

Lets face it...the devil has you on his side lock stock and barrel on this one dspks. You may want to consider searching out the Bible on the topic of correction and discipline, it could be that you honestly just are very misinformed.

Here is an online resource to help you http://www.blueletterbible.org/

Sermonindex also has a ton of stuff if you are really interested in the truth.

2013/5/29 4:27Profile
Sree

Re:

I personally believe in discipling my children using rod. But I do not believe in doing the same on a child not born to me. My daughter is God's gift to me which comes with a responsibility to bring her up for God using Godly discipline, irrespective of the state laws. But a foster mom gets a child from state and she better follow the laws of state which has given her the custody of the baby. This is my personal view. The state pays a foster mom to bring up a child according to their state laws and guidelines, when you disagree to it you better refund the money.

2013/5/29 6:10Profile
dspks

Dakotas

Re: Sree

Totally agree with your post Sree! Well said!

2013/5/29 7:32Profile

Re:

I don't think the scriptures had foster children in mind when one reads verses on disciplining of children. When well meaning Christian parents step in to foster children from DHS or CHS then they are bound to honir the guide lines set forth by these agencies. The parents may not agree with those guide lines. But if the parents are recieving compensation from that agency to be a foster parent then they must obey the state. Again they are foster parents. Nothing more.

It becomes a different siuation when the state starts telling a Christian parent how to raise their birth or adopted child. That becomes a whole different thread.

My thoughts only from the bear den.

Bearmaster.

2013/5/29 8:13

Re: Did foster mom in Conneticut REALLY obey the Bible???

I have to say that I agree with dspks on this one. It is impossible to be a foster parent in most western countries and not be aware that the state officially takes a position on the legality and validity of corporal discipline. I have seen that in the UK at least that the Department for Social Services always holds to a position which reflects a zero tolerance to physical smacking, even though the Law of the land allows for it if that means that there is no physical marking of a child. I once was privy to a circumstance in which the biological child being old enough to express their desire not to be hit formed the legal basis for intervention. In the end with sufficient support it was possible to force Social Services to back down. However, in the case of foster parents no such backing down would have been countenanced. It is certainly a difficult issue because clearly children are not harmed by being smacked if that means without marks and by means which are not sadistic and unnecessarily intimidating. When believers cite the bible as a basis for such smacking then the conflict is inevitable. We need to remember these state officials see every kind of abuse and its consequences which historically has from time to time been covered up by parental claims that they are acting in a biblical manner when they smack their [other peoples] children in their care……only to learn that a child is really being harmed.

I was abused by my own parents and remember the days when the state was virtually powerless to intervene even when there was clear evidence that a child was being harmed. All it took for the state to back down in the 1960/70's, was a child's inability to make their own complaint. Today the child is encouraged to express their own thoughts and feelings and this has led to a legal situation in which the child's view has taken legal precedence to a parental or guardian view….due to the over arching powers of child protection laws. My son has cerebral palsy and severe learning difficulties, and despite the fact that my wife and myself have cared for him for 26 years I know that we would lose him to the state if we ever disciplined him by physical means. If we had felt so strongly about this subject then we would have had to refrain from any state help whatsoever in his upbringing and care. As it is we have had a great deal of financial help and in accepting it we are bound by the conditions in which it is given. Like it or not that is the sum of the legality of it and to claim otherwise is foolish and will inevitably lead to problems. I sometimes joke with my son's social workers just to seek their reaction…... I see that they really take this issue very seriously. One really lovely lady begged me one day not to joke about it because she felt the pain so much that she might be driven to ask questions which would inevitably lead to further enquiries.

As a matter of reality I only ever smacked my able bodied children just once each. I felt so bad about it because they submitted to the smack with a childish obedience. I was immediately struck with the idea that if they submitted then there couldn't be such a great problem and if they would not submit then chasing them around the house would in any event be abusive. I never smacked them again for which I thanked God. I have often wondered if I was being simply weak minded….then again they have turned out just fine by means other than smacking them. There is no easy answer that's for sure.

2013/5/29 9:23
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I also agree with you dspks.

As bear stated, this is not about a govt agency entering a private household and telling christian parents how to raise their kids.

Rather, they are judging an agency EMPLOYEE's violation of the agency's policies. Whether the agency's policies are right or wrong is not the issue. The issue is whether the lady should have abided by the regulations as an employee of the agency.

It is no different than a public HS principal being fired for paddling a child in violation of school regulations. Biblically, his actions *may* be justified. But as an employee, he cannot just do whatever he wants, unless of course he also wants to get fired. But as someone else stated if he knows he is not allowed to paddle kids but enters the job knowing he is going to do so anyway, there is corruptness in his heart. he should work for a Christian school that allows paddling (do they? i have no idea).

dohzman wrote:
"Lets face it...the devil has you on his side lock stock and barrel on this one dspks. You may want to consider searching out the Bible on the topic of correction and discipline, it could be that you honestly just are very misinformed."

I think you should apologize to dspks for this rather over-the-top and ridiculous comment.

2013/5/29 16:40Profile
dohzman

Re:

(There are MANY ministries to choose from to help train children in Biblical truth.)

Your statement there is truly humorous:)....biblical truth says Proverb 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Proverb 22:15 Foolishness [is] bound in the heart of a child; [but] the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Prov 23:13-14/////Prov 29;15

My statement was made from this context so I will apologize to no one.

2013/5/29 16:59Profile
dohzman

In conclusion

I guess some of you find that since the bible does not specifically name step or foster children that it is not really relevant. Thats a slippery slope because once you adopt that position it is an easy matter to justify away almost any Biblical precept. So we are at a crossroads here. You guys can go the direction you have chosen and I will do the same...On this matter I will dogmatically disagree with a few of you.

2013/5/29 17:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy