SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Intentional vs unintentional sin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Intentional vs unintentional sin

King David sinned by committing adultery and murder. (1 Kings 15:5)
Would this be considered intentional or unintentional sin under the Mosaic law?
My understanding of intentional sin is it was a capital offense with no provisional sacrifice.
If David committed intentional sin on what basis did he ask God for forgiveness in Psalm 51? (2 Samuel 12:13)
Also what would be some examples of each then and now?

2013/5/26 7:07Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Intentional vs unintentional sin

Quote:
If David committed intentional sin on what basis did he ask God for forgiveness in Psalm 51? (2 Samuel 12:13)

Terrific question. David's sin was indeed intentional and the law made no sacrificial provision for his bloodguiltiness (v.14). Then what is the basis of his prayer? He could only cast himself upon the mercy of God and in repentance that is just what he did. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise (v.17).

In Christ,

Ron

2013/5/26 14:13Profile
amranger

Montana

Quote:

I believe it was type and shadow or preview if you will of new testament GRACE!

2013/5/26 20:28Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Rose,

There was no sacrifice under the law for adultery, only a sentence of death. The fact that David was granted mercy by God is indeed a type of the mercy extended to NT Believers. In Scripture it is called the 'sure mercies of David'.

Yes, David's adultery was premeditated. He planned it and used others in its execution. Hard to believe how far a person can fall, but no one is immune from it happening to himself. What is rarer still is repentance from such a fall.

In Psalm 51 David appealed to God's lovingkindness. In doing so he acknowledged his sin. This chapter details a repentance one could take lessons from.

Consider:

v.1: Have mercy upon me.

v.2: Wash me from mine iniquity, cleanse me from sin.

v.3: I acknowledge my sin.

v.4: Recognizes the seriousness of his sin

v. 7: Purge me and wash me.

v. 8: Make me to hear joy and gladness.

v. 10: Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me.

v.11: Do not cast me away from Your presence, do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

v.12: Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit.

v.13: Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,and sinners will be converted to You

AND there is more. Inspiring, don't you think?

2013/5/27 8:42Profile
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Thank you all so much for your answers. They have helped me more than you know.
I thought of this line from a hymn after reading your posts. .."Tis mercy all..immense and free"...
I will consider David's example of true repentance and how he found forgiveness through a loving and merciful God.
Blessings

2013/5/27 11:10Profile
jochbaptist

Re:

Dear DesertRose

I read this passage over the weekend, and was blown away by the fact that King David actually SAW the resurrection of Jesus before it happened!

Acts 2:
29 “Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, ….
30 Therefore, BEING A PROPHET, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him .........
31 HE, FORESEEING THIS, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption.

Yes, he was saved/born again/not under the law like so many other OT brothers and sisters. They looked forward in history in faith, as be look backwards in faith.

Blessings

2013/5/27 16:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy