SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hallowed Be Your Name?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
todd

California

Hallowed Be Your Name?

For anyone who understands Greek, I would greatly appreciate your help.
When Jesus said to the Father, "Hallowed be Your Name," what exactly was He saying?
Is it like, "Let/may Your name be hallowed" or "Your name [i]is[/i] hallowed"?
Was Jesus asking the Father to make His (the Father's) name be holy or was He simply acknowledging and stating that His name is holy? What is the tense?

2005/3/13 19:31Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re: Hallowed Be Your Name?

I believe that the expression is the consistent opposite of cursing the name of the Lord or using it as a cuss word. Rather than using his name in an unholy way (making his name unholy, so to speak), it is exalting his name as holy, using it in a way that is holy, thus making it holy.

"Hallowed be thy name." rather than "Cursed be thy name." or other ungodly expressions.

This is simply a thought.

In Christ Jesus,
-Eli

2005/3/14 11:09Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re: Hallowed Be Your Name?

Hallowed is to be respected or revered. When we pray his name be hallowed, we are asking Him to keep it holy and to help us keep it holy as well. WE hallow God's name by our lifestyle our conversation and by our work ethic.
I've always taken the opeing statment of the prayer to be a priase to God for his name is holy and it is also a plea for Him to help us live a life that will not profane his name.

2005/3/14 11:16Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I see it in this way. It is a prayer of our hearts to be given the grace necessary to glorify Him.

Lord empower me to glorify you in everything I am.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/3/14 11:31Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Adam Clarke wrote: Hallowed - Αγιασθητω. Αγιαζω· from α negative, and γη, the earth, a thing separated from the earth, or from earthly purposes and employments. As the word sanctified, or hallowed, in Scripture, is frequently used for the consecration of a thing or person to a holy use or office, as the Levites, first-born, tabernacle, temple, and their utensils, which were all set apart from every earthly, common, or profane use, and employed wholly in the service of God, so the Divine Majesty may be said to be sanctified by us, in analogy to those things, viz. when, we separate him from, and in our conceptions and desires exalt him above, earth and all things.

todd, fyi, the verb is Aorist imperative in the passive voice and is 3rd pers sing. All this just means it is fervent prayer that God's name should be made/kept 'holy'. To make 'holy' or 'sanctify'can also mean to set something apart; Darby translates it; Thus therefore pray *ye*: Our Father who art in the heavens, let thy name be sanctified, (Mat 6:9 Darby) as in Christ's prayer 'for their sake a sanctify myself'.

The word 'sanctify' is from the Latin, while 'holy' is from the German. They have the same Greek words behind them.

I think Clarke above is on the right track. He is praying that God's name will be kept 'high above the earth', quite separate in our understanding from anything of His creation. This part of the prayer is getting God into focus. Understanding who He is will have a profound effect upon what we pray.

2005/3/14 11:58Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Lev. 22:32 You shall not profane My holy name, but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel. I am the LORD who sanctifies you,

Num. 20:12 Then the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not believe Me, to hallow Me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land which I have given them.”

Deut. 32:51 because you trespassed against Me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah Kadesh, in the Wilderness of Zin, because you did not hallow Me in the midst of the children of Israel.

Is. 8:13 The LORD of hosts, Him you shall hallow;
Let Him be your fear,
And let Him be your dread.

Is. 29:23 But when he sees his children,
The work of My hands, in his midst,
They will hallow My name,
And hallow the Holy One of Jacob,
And fear the God of Israel.

Do you see what God requires of those who believe?

Hear His promise:

2 Corinthians 6:
17 Therefore
“Come out from among them
And be separate, says the Lord.
Do not touch what is unclean,
And I will receive you.”
18 “I will be a Father to you,
And you shall be My sons and daughters,
Says the LORD Almighty.”

In Christ
Jeff

2005/3/14 12:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Do you recall the event where Moses beat the rock twice instead of speaking to it? This is the scriptural comment on the event;And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them. (Num 20:12 KJV) We usually say Moses disobeyed (or spoiled the type) but the scripture shows that Moses failed to 'sanctify' the Lord 'in the eyes of the children of Israel', because he 'believed not'.

What can this mean? Moses did not adequately respect the word that God had spoken. This was 'approximate' obedience. Such obedience might satisfy another master but not God. Saul made the same mistake centuries after; approximate obedience because he did not honour in right measure who it was he was dealing with.

In the Lord's words at the beginning of the pattern prayer it is the equivalent of 'glorifying God as God' (Rom 1:21) Giving Him due honour. Ascribing to the Lord, greatness.

Clarke's commentary on this is significant too;Thus it plainly appears that they did not properly believe in God, and did not honor him in the sight of the people; for in their presence they seem to express a doubt whether the thing could be possibly done. As Aaron appears to have been consenting in the above particulars, therefore he is also excluded from the promised land.Peter uses lots of metaphors from the wilderness experience in his letter which includes the verse;But [u]sanctify the Lord God in your hearts[/u]: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1Pe 3:15 KJV)Adam Clarke comments:
1Pe 3:15 -
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts - To sanctify God may signify to offer him the praises due to his grace, but as to sanctify literally signifies to make holy, it is impossible that God should be thus sanctified. We have often already seen that ἁγιαζω signifies to separate from earth, that is, from any common use or purpose, that the thing or person thus separated may be devoted to a sacred use. Perhaps we should understand Peter’s words thus: Entertain just notions of God; of his nature, power, will, justice, goodness, and truth. Do not conceive of him as being actuated by such passions as men; separate him in your hearts from every thing earthly, human, fickle, rigidly severe, or capriciously merciful. Consider that he can neither be like man, feel like man, nor act like man. Ascribe no human passions to him, for this would desecrate not sanctify him. Do not confine him in your conceptions to place, space, vacuity, heaven, or earth; endeavor to think worthily of the immensity and eternity of his nature, of his omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence. Avoid the error of the heathens, who bound even their Dii Majores, their greatest gods, by fate, as many well-meaning Christians do the true God by decrees; conceive of him as infinitely free to act or not act, as he pleases. Consider the goodness of his nature; for goodness, in every possible state of perfection and infinitude, belongs to him. Ascribe no malevolence to him; nor any work, purpose, or decree, that implies it: this is not only a human passion, but a passion of fallen man. Do not suppose that he can do evil, or that he can destroy when he might save; that he ever did, or ever can, hate any of those whom he made in his own image and in his own likeness, so as by a positive decree to doom them, unborn, to everlasting perdition, or, what is of the same import, pass them by without affording them the means of salvation, and consequently rendering it impossible for them to be saved. Thus endeavor to conceive of him; and, by so doing, you separate him from all that is imperfect, human, evil, capricious, changeable, and unkind. Ever remember that he has wisdom without error, power, without limits, truth without falsity, love without hatred, holiness without evil, and justice without rigour or severity on the one hand, or capricious tenderness on the other. In a word, that he neither can be, say, purpose, or do, any thing that is not infinitely just, holy, wise, true, and gracious; that he hates nothing that he has made; and has so loved the world, the whole human race, as to give his only-begotten Son to die for them, that they might not perish, but have everlasting life. Thus sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and you will ever be ready to give a reason of the hope that is in you to every serious and candid inquirer after truth. Most religious systems and creeds are incapable of rational explanation, because founded on some misconception of the Divine nature.
“They set at odds heaven’s jarring attributes,
And with one excellence another wound.”
The system of humanizing God, and making him, by our unjust conceptions of him, to act as ourselves would in certain circumstances, has been the bane of both religion and piety; and on this ground infidels have laughed us to scorn. It is high time that we should no longer know God after the flesh; for even if we have known Jesus Christ after the flesh, we are to know him so no more.
What I have written above is not against any particular creed of religious people, it is against any or all to whom it may justly apply, it may even be against some portions of my own; for even in this respect I am obliged daily to labor to sanctify the Lord God in my heart, to abstract him from every thing earthly and human, and apprehend him as far as possible in his own essential nature and attributes through the light of his Spirit and the medium of his own revelation. To act thus requires no common effort of soul: and just apprehensions of this kind are not acquired without much prayer, much self-reflection, much time, and much of the grace and mercy of God.

2005/3/14 13:48Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Adam Clarke wrote:

Quote:
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts - To sanctify God may signify to offer him the praises due to his grace, but as to sanctify literally signifies to make holy, it is impossible that God should be thus sanctified.

I believe Clarke misses the mark on this one. Whether it is Moses, Peter, or Jesus, the focus is pointing to the quality of ones faith. When the disciples asked Jesus, how should we pray? His response spoke to the refining of one's relationship with the Father. What is it that makes a son or daughter glorify the Father. What is the essence of a faith refined?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/3/14 16:02Profile
todd

California

Re:

Thanks, all of you, for your input... but I still don't grasp it.

Quote:
"todd, fyi, the verb is Aorist imperative in the passive voice and is 3rd pers sing. All this just means it is fervent prayer that God's name should be made/kept 'holy'"

Ok, so what would a more literal translation be?
"Set apart make Your name remain" or something like that?

Is it like God's name is holy, period, but His creation establishes it's holiness in an ongoing process? Perhaps this is why the Seraphim and the 4 living creatures declare, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord." But I guess that's a bit different because they are declaring that God Himself is holy, not His name. Yet I wonder how profound the connection is with God and His name. At least as far as giving honor goes, are they equal? Is honoring God's name equal to honoring God?

2005/3/14 21:08Profile
dohzman

Re: hebrew thought

The hebrews associated the name of an individual with his or her character.So God's name is in essence His character or attributes or His very essence , especially as you see it displayed through history in His dealings with Israel.

Is honoring God's name equal to honoring God?

Yes.

2005/3/14 23:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy