SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can A True Believer Enjoy Satanic Music by Slayer and Still be Considered Saved?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Can A True Believer Enjoy Satanic Music by Slayer and Still be Considered Saved?

I’ve recently had to deal with this on a somewhat close level with someone I've known for years. The person I have in mind professes to have been born again around 9 or 10 years ago. I’ve known him for about 7 years. Ever since I’ve known him he’s been known to have a big taste for satanic music, as well as other types of worldy perverted music, wicked movies and perverted TV shows. He has also stated that he drinks beer on occasion. Some years ago I tried reasoning with him about the satanic music and he tried justifying it and said we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Others have also voiced similar concerns to him, and he has never heeded any correction. His reasoning is that he has matured enough in his walk to be able to appreciate other aspects of secular music other than the lyrics.

If you know anything about the band Slayer you know they are bent on singing about devil worship. You'd be hard pressed to find any songs from them that don't have references to worshipping Satan and blatant blasphemy. They may have a few songs that focus more on glorifying murder, which is also demonic.

Over the years I've refrained much from seriously confronting him for a number of reasons. One, I haven't been that close to him(would rather not get into details on exactly how I know him). Two, I wasn't sure if those things he's into merited serious confrontation, since it's not gross immorality like fornication, drunkenness, etc. And three, I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt that he may be a baby Christian who needs to mature more in his walk.

Recently, due to his decision to plan a wedding with secular music and dancing and beer and wine, I felt the need to let him know I don’t consider him to be a Christian brother in Christ anymore(In light of 1Cor.5 where we are commanded not to fellowship with false Christians). I tried telling him that as nicely and respectfully as possible though I knew he would likely be upset, and he certainly was very upset at first. Initially he accused me of being proud and self-righteous and said I have no right to judge his walk with God like that over these minor issues. Afterward, we had another discussion, and after trying to reason with him humbly and respectfully, it seems he sort of understood where I'm coming from and didn't seem as upset as before. So I ended up telling him I'll continue to pray about this whole thing and we will have to respectfully disagree for the time being.

I just couldn't understand how a true believer could go on for years without conviction from the Holy Spirit on these kinds of things(especially the satanic music).

He says he is not into any blatant kinds of sins. He goes to church every Sunday. I recently found out the church he goes to is into Catholic mysticism/contemplative prayer, which is a big trend in the emergent church movement. And that may have part in explaining why his "Christian walk" is so weak to say the least. I know that as a believer you may be caught up in certain heretical teachings or churches, since I myself was caught up in the word of faith prosperity gospel at one time in my walk.

I’ve asked for advice on this and have gotten different points of views from other believers. One brother I asked advice from said this person is not saved since he does not show fruit. Another brother said he may be saved and I shouldn’t have called into question his salvation over this since it’s not gross sin.

I'm sincerely asking for input on this. It's something I've wrestled with for quite some time, and recently after severing my relationship with him it caused a lot of confusion as to whether or not I did the right thing. Any input would be appreciated and taken into serious consideration.

In Christ,
Oracio

2013/5/18 16:02Profile

Re: Can A True Believer Enjoy Satanic Music by Slayer and Still be Considered Saved?

Granted brother only Jesus knows the heart. But from what you have described the fruit in this person is questionable. My concern would be your exposure to him. We do read that bad company corrupts good character. While being around non Christians cannot be avoided and we are to reach out to them. Someone who takes a delight in Satanic music should be avoided. Unless yiu feel called to minister to him. Then go with another Spirit filled brother. And one who is trained in deliverance.

These are my thoughts. Others may offer mire wisdom.

Bearmaster.

2013/5/18 16:13
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thanks brother. I feel I should share one more important detail here. This person is someone I have to work with at one of my jobs(I have two). I don't ever see him other than at work. Ever since I seriously confronted him(about two weeks ago) I have been keeping a distance as much as I can and he's been trying to keep a distance as well. But sometimes it's inevitable that we work side by side.

2013/5/18 16:30Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Can A True Believer Enjoy Satanic Music by Slayer and Still be Considered Saved?

Oracio

I am very familiar with Slayer. One of their member recently passed away. They are a band with blatantly satanic lyrics but for them it is just a bunch of show but that is irrelevant. your 'friend' probably likes Slayer for the energy of the music because it is very intense and in your face.

I think the best thing for you to do is engage with conversation with him, when you can, and talk about things to stimulate a conviction. Don't judge him whether or not he is a Christian. Look past that and woo him to a separation of life in the Spirit. Otherwise, you will take on a religious attitude and drive him away.

I like the heavy stuff myself but am not much of a listener to blatant satanic music although some would consider any heavy music satanic and that is simply unfair.

John

2013/5/18 16:37Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Scripture informs us one should abstain from ALL appearances of evil. If it looks like it it is. Your spirit will inform your mind what it is because it will be taught by the Holy Spirit.

I have learned to listen to what my conscience it telling me because when I argue with it, and go with my logic I come to grief and then clearly saw how the Holy Spirit was trying to inform me but refused to listen for whatever reason.

Since you are doubting the man's relationship with the LORD you would do well to believe this doubt. The bottom line is to ask the LORD to teach you to recognize his voice when he speaks to you - you will never go wrong in listening to it and being obedient.

God bless.

2013/5/18 17:41Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thanks DEADn. I definitely see the importance being very careful and sensitive and humble in this type of situation. And I definitely have been tempted and perhaps have allowed a measure of "religious" pride to creep into my soul through this whole process of dealing with this person. I am praying the Lord would keep from from that kind of attitude as I know it is not of Him. At the same time, there is also a place for confronting certain types of people and situations, making things a bit confusing sometimes.

Thanks ginnyrose. I definitely have felt an uneasiness about this person for a long time and I felt it was from the Spirit. And I felt that the Spirit confirmed to me that this person is lost and needed to hear some kind of rebuke or warning. I was afraid of grieving the Spirit and therefore ended up confronting him about his relationship with God. But then I hear input from believers which would be opposed to what how I felt led, because they believe it was not a situation which merited such serious confrontation. And that's why I've been a bit confused, but overall I've leaned toward me having done the right thing. I know I need to learn to hear clearly from the Lord. But I also know there is wisdom in a multitude of counselers sometimes.

2013/5/18 19:08Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I think too often we get a religious attitude when it comes to situations like this because we know what is right and we think the other person should as well. I walked through a time such as this and it caused me to kill myself inside spiritually but it was the result of me seeing religious people being either too religious and stiff necked or seeing them make so many excuses for their ways that it disillusioned me. I have learned to sit back and when those opportunities arise simply inject something meaningful into the conversation. After all, is it your business to get them right with God? Not really, but it is your business that if the door should open to give a little shot in the heart and sow the seed.

Too often we try so hard in the flesh thinking it is the Spirit and it is not.

John

2013/5/18 20:03Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thanks again DEADn for the feedback.

One of the scriptures which I thought may be somewhat comparable to this situation was Acts 8:9-25. It's the passage about Simon Magus the sorcerer being confronted by Peter. After Simon was baptized and continued on with the apostles and disciples, he offered money and asked that he might receive the power of the Spirit. Peter was able to discern that Simon was still unsaved and confronted him and told him he needs to repent.

It seems that these days there is a huge lack of discernment of spirits, a lack of biblical confrontation or church discipline in many churches. We're told there is never a place for any kind of sharp rebuke such as seen in that passage in Acts or in 1Cor.5. Granted, we cannot go around doing this kind of thing all the time with everyone but there is definitely biblical precedent for it when a certain type of situation arises.

So brother DEADn, I would ask you sincerely, if you believe there is never a place to rebuke someone so sharply how would you reconcile that belief with those passages?

2013/5/18 20:24Profile
passerby

Re:

If he will persist in this way, no doctrine will save him, OSAS, perseverance, and the like. The Lord has plainly laid down the truth about salvation, on how the true child of God should live their lives.

Your friend is in bondage, in one way or another he must know and be convicted of the truth. Perhaps through prayers, and by giving our lives as an example especially of grace, righteousness, of total commitment and perseverance, he will one day realize the truth which will set him free.

2013/5/18 21:08Profile
passerby

Re:

It is the truth not eloquence nor heated debates or arguments that will convict and save a man, and this one really needs the grace and intervention of God.

2013/5/18 21:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy