SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Methods of Learning and Studying the Bible?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
romanchog

Methods of Learning and Studying the Bible?

I am trying to figure out a good way to study the Bible. I am very good at academic studying, so I am trying to figure out how to apply this to studying the Bible. I am tying to learn the Word thoroughly so that I can put it in my heart. I know there will come a time when I may not be able to have a Bible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2013/5/4 20:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Methods of Learning and Studying the Bible?

Natalie,

I was trained to study the WORD using the Inductive Method of Bible Study. I love this method.

In addition to the IMBS, I look at the WORD as God's love letter to me. He tells me stories and when he does I try to visualize what he is describing. I take it personal.

As I study the WORD I am always looking to see what this portion teaches me about the nature of God. Once I have this exhausted, I look to see how this knowledge will impact me where I live.

Regardless what methods you use, one should always pray before reading/studying the WORD. The bottom line is to regard it as God's letter written and preserved for me - makes all the difference in the world.

It is possible to become so academic that you miss out on the message the Holy Spirit is wanting to tell you. Just be aware of this.

I rarely use any commentaries - this is the result of using the IMBS. We were told if you use this method you will not need a commentary!

My personal opinion..

ginnyrose

2013/5/4 22:17Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

I tend to use all sorts of methods over time. Right now I am doing a verse by verse study through a book of the Bible while doing an ongoing chronological reading at the same time. I have done topical studies as well. But I think the most important method of study is consistency coupled with prayer. God desires for His word to get into you and transform you. If it does that, you will remember and understand.

That being said, I do have a suggestion that my wife has found really helpful. Spend a month in a book. The shorter books (primarily NT epistles) can be read through once per day every day that month. If you spend 30 days in a book, you will come to know that book VERY well. And, if on a particular day, God hilights a certain verse and you feel led to spend a great deal of time in that passage doing word studies, topical study, etc., then go for it.

2013/5/7 8:00Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Here is one method that is useful:

There is a great need in the body of Christ for consistent reading of the Holy Scriptures in their entirety, book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse. In this case we are encouraging a chronological reading of the Scriptures. Most of the confusion is created when certain teachers, groups, or denominations take singular verses out of context and compare them with others. Though it is a good spiritual principle to compare spiritual truths with spiritual truths, yet this must all be done in the larger context of God’s Word. Therefore we are encouraging all of God’s saints to have a consistent discipline of reading through the whole Scriptures once a year as a supplemental reading plan.

This plan takes just 10-25 minutes of your day to read through the given chapters. One recommendation is to mark or underline one verse that stood out to you that you can apply into your life or memorize. In your reading, see the person of the Lord Jesus Christ in all the chapters for our Lord said that the Scriptures testified of Him. Learn of the character of God and spend time praying to the Lord what you have learnt. Also, we recommend that saints spend extra time reading through the Book of Acts on an ongoing basis for it is a clear blueprint for the Church.

Lastly, we highly recommend you spend much more time in the Scriptures on your own where the Holy Spirit is leading you to meditate on.

Let this plan be a possible solution for you to ensure you are reading through all the Scriptures at least once per year. You can check the boxes  beside each passage as a checklist.

This plan is part of the larger yearly Chronological Scripture Reading Plan (pdf)
http://www.sermonindex.net/fellowships/biblereading.pdf

2013/5/7 9:37Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
by romanchog
I am trying to figure out a good way to study the Bible. I am very good at academic studying, so I am trying to figure out how to apply this to studying the Bible. I am tying to learn the Word thoroughly so that I can put it in my heart. I know there will come a time when I may not be able to have a Bible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

It's very easy to apply your academic ways to studying the Bible!! The opposite was true for me, learning to study the Bible first is what helped me to study in college!

Before computers, I had a Strong's Concordance with lots of paper with different colored ink pens. I still have all that but now I use "Online Bible" software (free download), it's like the e-Sword software that is free also. And it has loads of commentaries including with it.

God bless you in your studies!!
Lisa

http://onlinebible.net/
http://www.e-sword.net/‎

2013/5/7 9:51Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

The YouVersion app lets you set up reading plans on your smartphone and then emails or texts you reminders each day to read your assignment. I am using this for a chronological reading and love it.

2013/5/7 15:51Profile
hoohoou

Texas

What I like to do when studying a book is first read the entire book. I then read the first chapter or two to understand the context of what I'm reading. Finally, I go verse by verse and write the verse, or couple of verses if it's one thought, in my own words and sometimes expound on it if I sense God speaking a truth to me.

I've found doing this to be a great way to slow down and concentrate on each and every verse. Most study aids will highlight the things that were important to the authors. In the way I go about it there is no middle man. It's just me and God. It takes a long time, but when I'm through I fully understand what I've read.

Oh, and I'll also keep a couple of commentaries handy in case I just can't make sense of something.

2013/5/7 18:15Profile
hoohoou

Texas

What I like to do when studying a book is first read the entire book. I then read the first chapter or two to understand the context of what I'm reading. Finally, I go verse by verse and write the verse, or couple of verses if it's one thought, in my own words and sometimes expound on it if I sense God speaking a truth to me.

I've found doing this to be a great way to slow down and concentrate on each and every verse. Most study aids will highlight the things that were important to the authors. In the way I go about it there is no middle man. It's just me and God. It takes a long time, but when I'm through I fully understand what I've read.

Oh, and I'll also keep a couple of commentaries handy in case I just can't make sense of something.

2013/5/7 18:15Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Inductive Bible Study has already been mentioned, I can recommend an excellent book on the topic by Howard Hendricks, it is titled 'Living by the Book'. I like this book because he really emphasizes the observation part of reading and gives helpful tools to that end.

If you get the book, get also the workbook that goes with it, that will give you plenty of opportunity to hone your skills of observation, interpretation, and application. I think the two can be had for around $25-30 on Amazon.

In Christ,

Ron

2013/5/7 19:40Profile
romanchog

Re:

Thank you all for your replies. I am combining many of these methods into my bible study.

2013/5/7 20:18Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy