SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Striking out on my own with tract evangelism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
richrock

UK

Striking out on my own with tract evangelism

Saints,

I've decided out of sheer frustration and inactivity (that I know of) amongst the saints I know and fellowship with, to strike out on my own, and started handing out tracts. If anyone I know in my church is doing something, then I don't know about it.

Of course, I am committing each 'session' to prayer, that people will read and be challenged. I have not yet had any conversations, and hope to soon.

We've had seminars and sessions, all of which I have missed attending in our church. I was initially excited to hear of an evangelism team, who would do evangelism - from within the building - things to invite people to. Everything seems to focus on getting people in to our building, and I have no issue with that, but who's out on the streets?

I just want to be out there, giving out the gospel. Is this a wrong thing to want? I've spoken to my pastor, who would 'arrange' times, and nothing would happen. I've even heard some rubbish the tracts, mocking the design or words or something. I grieve attitudes like this.

Anybody else had to strike out on their own?

Any advice, encouragement and prayers would be appreciated. Apologies if this is in the wrong area.

2013/4/16 13:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Striking out on my own with tract evangelism

Quote:
I've decided out of sheer frustration and inactivity (that I know of) amongst the saints I know and fellowship with, to strike out on my own, and started handing out tracts. If anyone I know in my church is doing something, then I don't know about it.

Dear Brother, it is so very important for the church to be doing the work that the Lord desires which is out sharing the Good News of the Gospel. This tract ministry I have found to be one of the best and they offer great tract booklets, the best one I believe is: "The Amazing Life of Jesus Christ" http://www.wmpress.org/readbk.shtml

You can order a book of 500 for free! I have found there has been alot of spiritual warfare in handing these out in the West and therefore I know the enemy does not like this tract. This is just one tool of many.

The model in the New Testament is the Lord sent the disciples out in two's. If you can find another brother to work with this is best.

we are encouraging brothers and sisters to gather in small groups and do the work of evangelism in their local areas through: http://gospelfellowships.net maybe someone else on facebook there you could connect with in your local area.

The most important thing is to follow the call of the Lord and burden on your heart. And not to judge or worry about the rest of the church who seems apathetic to the work. Lead by example and do not demand others to follow you or even acknowledge what you are doing. Do it unto the Lord.

2013/4/16 13:35Profile
pilgrim777

"I've decided".

Brother, be led by the Holy Spirit and peace. Being led by personal "frustration and inactivity" (condemnation) could be the flesh and you may find yourself out of God's will for you personally.

We don't correct an absence of spirituality with fleshly activity.

We see an example of that in Matthew 7:21.

Press into Jesus and He will lead you.

Jas_3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Remember, you are never striking out on your own. :-)

Paul West has a good series on Deception that you may want to look at and I am concerned that if your motivation for going out on the streets is because no one else is out there, then the Adversary may just trip you up with pride, later on.

The flesh can be extremely religious and it is imperative that to do the will of God we must hear the voice of the Spirit and not bow to our frustrations or be reactive to what others "are not doing". Not all are called as Evangelists. The Lord bless you as you "pray through" and lay hold of the Lord and His will for you.

Just a friendly exhortation (based on your words) to you and if none of this applies, then praise the Lord. :-)

Pilgrim

2013/4/16 15:02Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Quote:
I just want to be out there, giving out the gospel. Is this a wrong thing to want? I've spoken to my pastor, who would 'arrange' times, and nothing would happen. I've even heard some rubbish the tracts, mocking the design or words or something. I grieve attitudes like this.

Any advice, encouragement and prayers would be appreciated. Apologies if this is in the wrong area.

Brother, there is definitely nothing wrong with having a deep burden to get the gospel out where it belongs, outside the four walls of churchianity. I would encourage you to check out this powerful testimony of a faithful servant who would start his evangelistic efforts by simply asking people the question, "Excuse me, are you saved, if you died today are you going to heaven?":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76MHjjGu08

Like brother Greg said, keep being faithful in what God is calling you to do, and don't be too discouraged about the lack of concern you see around you within the churches. Also, these two sites are a tremendous blessing in equipping believers in sharing the gospel:
www.wayofthemaster.com and www.livingwaters.com

2013/4/16 15:32Profile
richrock

UK

Re:

Thanks for the replies.

Pilgrim777, maybe my wording was not correct. I'm not trying as in the sense of 'flesh' but have been considering, praying, seeking about this, for the last year. I am sorry if this gets misunderstood.

I have a frustration borne out of the people who are lost - I'm not an 'evangelist' by any means, but it would seem that God has other plans! Just get the gospel out and let the Holy Spirit transform.

Way of the Master/Living Waters are brilliant - and I watch their street preachin' vids frequently.

Will watch the Frank Jenner video now.

2013/4/16 15:55Profile
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

may God bless you in your endevor..
and Yes be faithful to the call of God.
May God recieve all the Glory
andy

2013/4/16 17:03Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi richrock,

The Lord will bless you as He leads and I pray He helps you to be bold and walk in love. May we all have a burden for the lost wherever we are. When we're close to the Lord we can't help but have one.

Pilgrim

2013/4/16 17:19Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Go for it dude. Sometimes you just gotta do it yourself. I did things similar to that when I was heavily involved in church as well. Passed out tracts but I also looked for ways to make them effective rather than just passing them out but that is a start.

2013/4/16 21:00Profile
richrock

UK

Re:

Thanks everyone!

Yep - gotta do it myself. It's a start to just get them out - my thinking is that if one reads and repents, that's worth it. I'd like to think soon that it would lead to conversation and gospel from my own mouth rather than a printed piece...

I watched the Frank Jenner video - dry presentation, but what an excellent story! I've bookmarked that to post on my blog, etc. A wonderful, simple approach with absolute humility. And that he did it for so long without knowing the impact he had... moved me to tears. Oh, if only we had that mentality!

2013/4/17 3:02Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
richrock wrote:

Any advice, encouragement and prayers would be appreciated.

Sadly, years ago (2005ish), my friends created a transitional house for women exiting jail or prison and guess what? Not one church in this area gives to them on a regular basis. The woman who started it even went to one of THE biggest churches in Knoxville and they wouldn't help her. It's pathetic how with their mouths they serve Him but their hearts are far from Him. That's my big gripe with organized churches.

Around that same time, I began to pray for a ministry because sadly, I couldn't find ANY church that was actually ministering to the lost. While praying, my mind was on working with the local shelter for abused woman but the Lord has other plans! After praying for awhile, the Lord opened up a jail ministry that I've been a part of for almost 6 years now, I love it and am so grateful that He entrusted me to be a part of it!

So brother, yes, I had to strike out on my own with Christ!! Pray and ask while you work tracts and see what the Lord will do for you!! He may surprise you too!! :)

God bless,
Lisa

2013/4/17 16:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy