· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Let each esteem others...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Spitfire

Let each esteem others...

You know, I've been meditating on Phillipians 2:3-8. It says: [i]Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others...[/i]
It continues on, of course, to explain how Christ humbled himself to the point of laying down his life for the Church.

God has been dealing with me from this verse.[i]"but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."[/i]
This morning in my prayer time, God had me examining my own heart and literally naming by name all the people I consider myself better than. It was endless. I'm so way not finished! I think I shall be repenting for the rest of my life! I was seeing how easily spiritual pride creeps in and how we then begin to exalt ourselves over others in our hearts. I was seeing how those people then begin to perceive our attitudes even though we would never come out and say, "Hey, I'm better than you because..."

Brothers and Sisters, I believe we all need to examine our hearts on this. I know for me, this is huge. Love, Dian.

"O Lord God Almighty, not the God of the philosophers and the wise but the God of the prophets and apostles; and better than all, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, May I express thee unblamed? They that know thee not may call upon thee as other than thou art, and so worship not thee, but a creature of their own fancy; therefore enlighten our minds that we may know thee as thou art, so that we may perfectly love thee and rightly worship thee" Prayer by A.W. Tozer

2005/3/12 7:54Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Let each esteem others...

Indeed sister,

Seems to be a recurring theme;

Quote:
[u]in lowliness of mind[/u] [b][u]let[/u][/b]

Rom 3:4 God forbid: yea, [b]let[/b] God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

[b]Let God be true[/b] - Let God be esteemed true and faithful, whatever consequence may follow. This was a first principle, and should be now, that God should be believed to be a God of truth, whatever consequence it might involve. How happy would it be, if all people would regard this as a fixed principle, a matter not to be questioned in their hearts, or debated about, that God is true to his word! How much doubt and anxiety would it save professing Christians; and how much error would it save among sinners! Amidst all the agitations of the world, all conflicts, debates, and trials, it would be a fixed position where every man might find rest, and which would do more than all other things to allay the tempests and smooth the agitated waves of human life.
But every man a liar - Though every man and every other opinion should be found to be false. Of course this included the apostle and his reasoning; and the expression is one of those which show his magnanimity and greatness of soul. It implies that every opinion which he and all others held; every doctrine which had been defended; should be at once abandoned, if it implied that God was false. It was to be assumed as a first principle in all religion and all reasoning, that if a doctrine implied that God was not faithful, it was of course a false doctrine. This showed his firm conviction that the doctrine which he advanced was strictly in accordance with the veracity of the divine promise. What a noble principle is this! How strikingly illustrative of the humility of true piety, and of the confidence which true piety places in God above all the deductions of human reason! And if all people were willing to sacrifice their opinions when they appeared to impinge on the veracity of God; if they started back with instinctive shuddering at the very supposition of such a lack of fidelity in him; how soon would it put an end to the boastings of error, to the pride of philosophy, to lofty dictation in religion! No man with this feeling could be for a moment a universalist; and none could be an infidel.

[b]As it is written[/b] - Psa_51:4. To confirm the sentiment which he had just advanced and to show that it accorded with the spirit of religion as expressed in the Jewish writings, the apostle appeals to the language of David, uttered in a state of deep penitence for past transgressions. Of all quotations ever made, this is one of the most beautiful and most happy. David was overwhelmed with grief; he saw his crime to be awful; he feared the displeasure of God, and trembled before him. Yet he held it as a fixed, indisputable principle that God was right. This he never once thought of calling in question. He had sinned against God, God only; and he did not once think of calling in question the fact that God was just altogether in reproving him for his sin, and in pronouncing against him the sentence of condemnation.

[b]That thou mightest be justified[/b] - That thou mightest be regarded as just or right, or, that it may appear that God is not unjust. This does not mean that David had sinned against God for the purpose of justifying him, but that he now clearly saw that his sin had been so directly against him, and so aggravated, that God was right in his sentence of condemnation.

[b]In thy sayings[/b] - In what thou hast spoken; that is, in thy sentence of condemnation; in thy words in relation to this offence. It may help us to understand this, to remember that the psalm was written immediately after Nathan, at the command of God, had gone to reprove David for his crime; (see the title of the psalm.) God, by the mouth of Nathan, had expressly condemned David for his crime. To this expression of condemnation David doubtless refers by the expression in thy sayings; see 2Sa_12:7-13.

[b]And mightest overcome[/b] - In the Hebrew, mightest be pure, or mightest be esteemed pure, or just. The word which the Septuagint and the apostle have used, mightest overcome, is sometimes used with reference to litigations or trials in a court of justice. He that was accused and acquitted, or who was adjudged to be innocent, might be said to overcome, or to gain the cause. The expression is thus used here. As if there were a trial between David and God, God would overcome; that is, would be esteemed pure and righteous in his sentence condemning the crime of David.

[b]When thou art judged[/b] - The Hebrew is, when thou judgest; that is, in thy judgment pronounced on this crime. The Greek may also be in the middle voice as well as the passive, and may correspond, therefore, in meaning precisely with the Hebrew. So the Arabic renders it. The Syriac renders it, when they (that is, people) shall judge thee. The meaning, as expressed by David, is, that God is to be esteemed right and just in condemning people for their sins, and that a true penitent, that is, a man placed in the best circumstances to form a proper estimate of God, will see this, though it should condemn himself. The meaning of the expression in the connection in which Paul uses it, is, that it is to be held as a fixed, unwavering principle, that God is right and true, whatever consequences it may involve; whatever doctrine it may overthrow; or whatever man it may prove to be a liar.

Barne's Notes

[i]Here I found the benefit of a principle which I invariably adopt, of never pressing upon any human being my sentiments or wishes, without an absolute necessity. If a friend be reduced to the necessity of refusing or complying, he will feel grieved: but if, though with pain to himself, he do anything without being importuned, he has a sweet feeling of love excited by that very act; or, it he refrain from doing what you wish, he feels a love to you for not pressing him against his will.[/i] ~ Charles Simeon

2005/3/12 9:51Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re: Let each esteem others...

Dian,

Your words were inspiring, and I wish to use them in a message I am working on. I came across the following yesterday:

1) When the other fellow takes a long time, hes slow.
When I take a long time, Im thorough.

2) When the other fellow doesnt do it, hes lazy.
When I dont do it, Im busy.

3) When the other fellow does something without being told, hes overstepping his bounds.
When I do it, thats initiative.

4) When the other fellow overlooks a rule of etiquette, hes rude.
When I skip a few rules, Im original.

5) When the other fellow pleases the boss, hes an apple polisher.
When I please the boss, its cooperation.

6) When the other fellow gets ahead, hes getting the breaks.
When I manage to get ahead, thats just the reward for hard work.

And so, let's begin to esteem the "other fellow" and not "I" !!

God Bless,
tony

Rescue the perishing, care for the dying,
Snatch them in pity from sin and the grave;
Weep o'er the erring one, lift up the fallen,
Tell them of Jesus, the mighty to save.

2005/3/12 12:59Profile

This is a time of transition

in this cyber ministry. I believe that Heaven is watching this cyber outreach and there are a chorus of angelic beings cheering and praising.

conversely, I believe the enemy, with so much territory staked out on the internet, sees this oasis of Godliness, and would love NOTHING more than to seed discord, and dissent. The enemy sees "62 guests and 8 members" feeding off the preached Word of God and would love to trash this site, and I, for one, am NOT gonna play into the hands of the foul one.

I'm NOT gonna fight for my opinion again, no more, Jesus don't need any of us carnal being to go to bat for him.....from now on, I'm "resolving to know only Christ and Him crucified"....

brethern, please......no more fussing, the sheep of God are streaming here, let them feed.

2005/3/12 14:43
AgesofWar

Chicago IL USA

Re: This is a time of transition

Neil said

Quote:
I'm NOT gonna fight for my opinion again, no more, Jesus don't need any of us carnal being to go to bat for him.....from now on, I'm "resolving to know only Christ and Him crucified"

I say AMEN Bro AMEN

2005/3/12 14:45Profile
moreofHim

Re: amen

A big amen for this thread Dian!

Tony, that is an excellent post!

In Him, Chanin

2005/3/12 15:36Profile
Compton

Re: Feed My Sheep

Good thread all,

Mike B,
Interesting observation..."letting" God, can be more difficult then "serving" God; at least when it comes to fixing the flaws in others. Good post!

Neilgin said,

Quote:
the sheep of God are streaming here, let them feed

There is certainly some Jesus in these words! Neilgin has touched on an important aspect of our Lord's heart revealed in Ezekial 34. Imagine if all of the "shepherds", in the land let this chapter sink in...
Quote:
You ate the milk, end you clothed yourselves with the wool, and you killed that which was fat: but my flock you did not feed.

I will feed my sheep: and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord God.I will seek that which was lost: and that which was driven away, I will bring again: and I will bind up that which was broken, and I will strengthen that which was weak, and that which was fat and strong I will preserve: and I will feed them in judgment.

And as for you, O my flocks,...Was it not enough for you to feed upon good pastures? but you must also tread down with your feet the residue of your pastures: and when you drank the dearest water, you troubled the rest with your feet.And my sheep were fed with that which you had trodden with your feet: and they drank what your feet had troubled...

I admit, I have made other sheep drink that which I trodden with my feet...All the while I was waxing eloquently about some profound thing I knew about Jesus. I guess I didn't know that presuming to be "over" people means that I am presuming to love and care for them...
Quote:
And I will set one Shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David: he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.

We poor ambitous saints want to "love God more then others do" but are often hard pressed to follow Jesus' simple exortations. We are a dime a dozen who boldly proclaim to love God more then we love men. I am forever learning that Love for Jesus is impossible without love for men, who are the flocks of His pasture. That must be why He has to keep asking me...
Quote:
"...do you love me more then others do?..."Then feed my lambs,"

"...do you love me?... "Then take care of my sheep,"

"... do you love me?... Feed my sheep."
John 21

MC

2005/3/12 16:55Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re: Let Each Esteem Others

In a [i]Peanuts[/i] strip by Charles Schulz, Charlie Brown rests his head in his hands while leaning on the wall, looking miserable. His friend Lucy approaches.

"Discouraged again, eh, Charlie Brown?"
Charlie Brown does not even answer.

"You know what your trouble is?" Lucy asks. Without waiting for a response, she announces, "The whole trouble with you is that you are you!"

Charlie Brown says, "Well, what in the world can I do about that?"

"I don't pretend to be able to give advice," Lucy replies. "I merely point out the trouble!"

Rescue the perishing, care for the dying,
Snatch them in pity from sin and the grave;
Weep o'er the erring one, lift up the fallen,
Tell them of Jesus, the mighty to save.

2005/4/4 0:21Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy