SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is playing board games worldly?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Renoncer

Re: Is playing board games worldly?

Romanchog,

Where do you get your definition for "worldly"? The Bible defines worldliness differently than many people have defined it, especially when it comes to a list of taboos that is incongruent with 1 Timothy 4:1-5.

For instance, is something worldly because some people make bad use of it? Then, we should shun the internet. (Sorry Greg!)

What about alcohol? Did you know that the Puritans brewed their own alcohol when they came to America? Did you know that people like Billy Sunday considered people to be saved when they professed that they wouldn't drink again?

We should not call "evil" what God calls "good", in the same way that we should not call "good" what God calls "evil". The two are equally demonic.

Some food for thought.
In Christ,
Renoncer

2013/4/7 23:58Profile
romanchog

Re:

Thank you for all the responses. Several points have been brought up here.

Renoncer asked what is my definition of worldly, and pilgrim777 said that this depends on our hearts.

Both are correct. I do not want to get caught up with the word worldly. It was simply a word I used to try to ask my question. My point is: IS IT PROFITABLE?

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. 1 Cor 6:12

I know this answer will vary from person to person since we all have different hearts. This is the issue in my home, since my children all have different hearts and different walks in the Lord. What may be alright for one is not necessarily alright for another. The focus here is to make them keep their eyes on glorifying the Lord and serving Him only.

My concern over this began when my child who is most devoted to the Lord refused to participate. To him, this was wasteful, especially since no mention was being made of the Lord. Since he spends much time in prayer, I like to listen and seriously consider his concerns.

Matthew2323 asked what my 3 older children have against Christianity. Two of them have nothing against Christianity, and are actually very involved in Christian "activities;" they are simply against MY form of Christianity, which they view as extremist and totally unreasonable. Separating from the world, eschewing entertainment, music that does not specifically worship the Lord, etc. They are not in any obvious sin; simply they have not chosen to die for Christ, to deny themselves, to carry the cross. Of course, they think they are following Christ.

In their defense, they are mostly following the gospel that we taught them as children, before we knew better. In those formative years, they also experienced some things that hardened their hearts toward their father, and indirectly toward me. Even we have asked for forgiveness repeatedly, they still hold resentment in their heart and pretty much don't listen to anything I say or especially that their Dad used to say. They have interpreted the Word to mean that you don't really have to obey your parents in all things, etc.

My other child simply never really took the gospel as her own, totally enticed by the world. Still, she is more respectful than the other two.

Thank you rutnrust for your offer of prayer. I dearly need it. I was not made to be a leader. I had a great leader in my husband and I know that he taught me enough of the word for ME to walk with God on my own. But now I have been entrusted by the Lord to guide these children into the fear of the Lord, to do my best to pull the others into His fold. I do not feel equipped to do this and am simply clinging to the Lord for Him to do it through me.

In Christ,
romanchog

2013/4/8 10:34Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

romanchog wrote:

"they are simply against MY form of Christianity, which they view as extremist and totally unreasonable."

Is it? I guess that it the question.

I'll be honest- some red flags go up for me when I see topics like this- questioning things like board games-- particularly innocent ones.

I don't think Jesus expeects us to work 8 hrs per day, sleep 8 hrs per day and split the other 8 hrs between bible study and prayer.

Of course that is only my opinion.

2013/4/8 10:46Profile
romanchog

Re:

TMK: you may be right.

But I keep going to the words of Jesus, who DID nothing unless the Father told Him to and SAID nothing that the Father did not tell Him to say.

I know that the board games themselves are innocent. I play games with my younger children who live at home, who are willing to listen to the word I have to teach, even in the middle of the game. They are allowed to play games with themselves.

But the point is: am I providing a distraction from following hard after Christ? A bridge into the world. As others have said, this is a answer may be different for different people.

I am new in this walk of leading a family, having done it for only 3 months. A few months ago, this would have been discussed with my husband and a decision would have been made without a posting on SI. But now I am alone and am simply trying to figure out what I need to do to keep my children on the narrow and difficult path, and to guide to that path those children that are not on it. And that is done in the details of life-the devil is in the details-as well as in the big things and in teaching the Word.

Thanks anyway for your response. I will put it to prayer.

2013/4/8 10:58Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Natalie

your shared:My concern over this began when my child who is most devoted to the Lord refused to participate. To him, this was wasteful, especially since no mention was being made of the Lord. Since he spends much time in prayer, I like to listen and seriously consider his concerns.

This portion you shared struck me. It is possible that this child while they do spend time in prayer and have a deep love for the LORD could actually be developing an attitude of being judgmental and prideful. When he shared his concerns over spending time playing the game was it in love? What was the motivation of his heart? Was it to shine the love of JESUS to his siblings or was it to get everyone to see "how good" he is. I caution on this because it can happen that the enemy uses things just like this to stumble us. I am not saying that is the case but can be. As his mom I know you spend time in prayer and seeking to know the LORDS will for all your children. Perhaps after praying the LORD may have some things for you to share with this son as well :)

The only other thing that I can offer is concerning your three older children. Do they still live at home with you? Or are they on their own? It actually does matter I am learning. Being the parent of an adult who is my child is so much more difficult then being the parent to my child who is still a child. The way you share with them will be different in that when they were children you could speak into their lives because you had authority over them. As adults you no longer do and so you can speak only what they are willing to sit and listen to. This can be difficult, you want to stand firm in the LORD on the things HE gives you to share but as a loving mother it is often hard to keep "self" out of it. I will pray for you I am learning discernment is needed on my part and the need to stay close to the LORD. There are times when HE has given me much to share with my adult children and then there are times when HE has had me say nothing at all. I think as mothers we often forget as much as we love our children, HE loves them even more...

As for playing the board games some very great responses have been shared and I am sure you have much to consider and pray over so I will leave it to the LORD who I know will lead you.

God bless
maryjane

2013/4/8 11:27Profile
romanchog

Re:

Thanks MaryJane. Yes my older children are adults and do not live at home, which was the original concern, since it occurred to me I could be wasting precious time in a game where I could have fed them the Word.

One of my kids is scheduled to move back in in a couple of weeks and to be honest, I am totally tensed up about it because I do not know how I am supposed to respond to her lack of respect, lack of desire to follow any of my rules, etc., not to mention the possible effect on the younger children. I have been in much prayer about it.

As to my devoted son possibly being judgmental, there have been cases of that which I have addressed, though his is not in pride and "I am better than you are" but just a lack of mercy. In this case, he did not say a word, he simply walked out quietly and no one but me noticed it. Later in the game he came in for a moment to say something that tried to bring the subject of Christ, I can't recall what. I tried to pick up where he started but it didn't really take off.

This son is very quiet and shy and has in the past been harshly rejected by his older siblings for asking them: "Is what you are doing glorifying Christ?"

His Dad died 3 months ago and he is doing all he can to follow what his Dad taught him. At 14, this is a lot to deal with.

2013/4/8 11:52Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Natalie you shared: This son is very quiet and shy and has in the past been harshly rejected by his older siblings for asking them: "Is what you are doing glorifying Christ?"

His Dad died 3 months ago and he is doing all he can to follow what his Dad taught him. At 14, this is a lot to deal with.

I can imagine the sorrow he is struggling with. I lost my dad a few years ago, he died of cancer. The truth is I lost him even longer ago when I was young my parents divorced, my dad moved in and then remarried a much younger woman and I saw very little of him after that. I know how painful it can be to loose a parent. I have been in prayer for you and your family and will continue.

You mentioned that the older siblings rejection has caused him a good deal of sadness because of the questions he asks them. I have a suggestion for you, but please pray over what I share to know the LORD will in this.

Perhaps speak with your fourteen year old son and remind him that even though his siblings are not walking with the LORD they are still older and as such they may feel like he is coming at them as one with authority over them instead of as their younger brother...do you see where this would cause the older ones to perhaps resent the younger? Maybe he could share with them in another way, instead of asking them questions like the one you mentioned he could simply share the things he is seeing in his own walk with the LORD. Just simply talk to them about what JESUS is showing him in areas of his life. If the opportunity opens itself up he might ask, what are the things you are seeing in your walk with the LORD? This would give the older siblings an opportunity to see their brothers heart is not about authority or attempting to "lecture and teach" but just sharing JESUS with one another. If they share things he knows are not Biblical, he can always express what the LORD has shown him and then offer to pray with them about these things so that together they can know the LORDS heart on the matter. Remind him to always pray before he speaks with them and to always seek to know the FATHERS heart, it could be there are times when the LORD just wants him to listen to his siblings and then pray over what they have shared. The one thing about asking another believer about what the LORD is showing them in their walk is this: if they share what they are seeing you learn better ways to pray for them specifically and if they respond with nothing at all, that they are seeing nothing in their walk that can be a very real eye opener for anyone. Either way your son will know how to pray for his family :)

As for your one daughter who is planing to move back in you need to love her with CHRIST heart but at the same time she needs to respect that you are now the authority of the house. Take her for a walk before she moves home and set the rules with her. Tell her you love her dearly, want to help her in this time but that there are things that will not be compromised on in the home no matter what. Tell her you want her time with you all to be one of joy and help to one another but that can not happen if she does not respect your rules. It is your home and you answer to GOD for what goes on there so share with her how vitally serious you take this role and that you hope she can understand, and abide by what you have shared with her. Let her know that she is an adult and you understand that but that in no way changes the rules that you establish in your home. Remind her that you are an adult and you choose to live by them because you have prayed long and hard and this is the leading you have from the LORD for your household. Tell her you realize she may do things differently one day when she has a family and home of her own but until then this is the way things will be. Let her know again how much you love her and if she can respect you and follow the rules even though she does not agree with them then she is welcome if not she should reconsider what her plans are. Tell her you do not want their to be anything that the enemy might use to come between the two of you and you feel sharing with her these things now and what you expect will be best so you both know where you stand on these things. It is a hard conversation to have but you are right you must consider your younger children as well and they are still under your authority and care, they do need your protection, covering and care.

I have been in these situations myself and know how difficult they can be but the LORD will lead you. Consider what I have shared, pray on it and see what the LORD has for you.I will continue to pray for you all :)

God bless
mj

2013/4/8 12:33Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

"But now I am alone and am simply trying to figure out what I need to do to keep my children on the narrow and difficult path, and to guide to that path those children that are not on it."

Please know that I am very sorry for your loss. My sister lost her Dad shortly after we married. He was 50, my brother-in-law was 16. I have watched my mother-in-law struggle with what you are struggling with. It is a very difficult thing to do, being both mom and dad.

But here's the thing. You ARE NOT doing this on your own. If you have the belief that you seem to have (I have no doubt) then you've also got to believe that God will guide you and your children. Again, you are not alone in this. The Holy Spirit is with you even now and God will direct your path. Maybe the idea of playing games came up because you all need some levity.

You also mentioned that Jesus did nothing that was not directed by God. That is very true. It is also true that sinners (tax collectors and drunkards) wanted to spend time with Jesus. He spent so much time with them that the Pharisees accused him of being a drunk Himself. We know that Jesus was not a drunk, but why did those people want to hang out with Him? We don't know what went on at those meals or what Jesus said. I am of the opinion that Jesus was simply enjoyable to be around. We know that He was a great story teller. Maybe the people spent time with Him because His inner being drew them. Maybe it was because of the miracles and they wanted to be around the miracle man. We don't know. What I can be pretty sure of is that Jesus expressed love to these people. Yes, sin was not ignored (the woman caught in adultery) but love was the dominant expression. Remember, it is the goodness of God that leads to repentance.

My prayers are with you for this difficult season you're going through. May God bless you with peace, joy and a better understanding of His majesty. He is our King of Glory. He is capable to carry us through. Give Christ your burden. He is more than faithful to see us through.

Matt

2013/4/8 12:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

My concern is that if we "squeeze" kids too hard- they may shoot out-- like a watermelon seed does when squeezed. We have all heard the stories of rebellious preacher's kids.

It is a a difficult struggle. I am not sure if "legalism" is the answer. Of course lines must be drawn; we need wisdom to know where to draw those lines and it may vary for each family. However, we must choose our battles wisely. I am afraid that if we simply forbid our kids from doing what seems to be innocent things so that they will not be distracted from "walking the narrow path" that they will 1) rebel and not walk the narrow path and 2) resent us. We have to turn our children over to God.. of course that does not mean that we wash our hands of them, but at the same time we must turn them over to God.

2013/4/8 15:30Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I am trying to decide if this is really serious question. It causes me to think about what is wrong with religious beliefs and why so many depart from the faith. Evil is revealed under every rock while God sits back and just watches. Has it really come to this with some?

John

2013/4/8 15:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy