SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is playing board games worldly?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
romanchog

Is playing board games worldly?

I know that we are called to not love the world nor the things of the world. Everything we do is to glorify God. It is our purpose in life.

So how do I live that out? The bigger things I know how to avoid. Movies, TV, worldly music, entertainment- all these things I have taught my children to avoid because they are the work of the world.

But how do I categorize other things? My question specifically is about allowing my kids to play some board games (Monopoly, Rummikub)and some card games in the last couple of days.

However, I was wondering if this is acceptable in the eyes of Christ. How does this glorify Him? Am I guilty of giving my children the world or the love of the world allowing them to play and participating with them? Am I allowing them to get distracted from their purpose? This time could have been better spent on speaking of the Word or praising God.

My children range in age from 6 to 24. Most have participated. The child who is most desirous of pleasing the Lord refused to participate. The oldest 3 of these children are very worldly and do not live at home. There is no father in the home since he went to be with the Lord earlier this year.

Does this change the answer at all? Am I serving up a distraction to the wayward children and basically playing along with them in their worldliness as they go on the road to destruction?

I know that there will be a wide range of opinions. I pray that the Lord can use this discussion to make us purer and more holy before Him.

In Christ,
romanchog

2013/4/6 23:38Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Is playing board games worldly?

Perhaps playing board games and cards with your children does not glorify Christ... except in the way you lose!! LOL

There are those who will adamantly disagree but I do not believe that you will be serving up a distraction to have some legitimate fun and laughter with your children (and their friends).

God bless you,
Lisa

2013/4/7 5:36Profile

Re:

Sister this is an area where his Spirit must lead. Mist board games and even some card games are innocent in and of themselves. But as my beloved wisely observed. The things that might have seemed innocent a few years ago now require us to separate from them. An example,. Monopoly used to be a fun game. Now it conotes greed and even corruption.

Maybe an alternative might be some Christian board games to look at. Check your local Christian book store and see what is available.

My thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2013/4/7 7:23
rufnrust

Indiana

I wrestled with this as well with my family. I agree with Lisa, ( how we lose and win ). It is a good way to learn how to rejoice with the winner and mourn with the loser. It can be foundational lessons in how we don't always win or get everything our way.

Building relationships with new friends, games can help 'lighten up ' the room a little so you can get to know each other.

Games must remain in the balance of family life as one thing we do together, not all we do together.

'Thou shalt not play a game with your children' is not a commandment and certainly is not likely to bring life to your family.

I am praying for you roman as you sound like a true Kingdom seeker.

Russell

2013/4/7 7:42Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

games can be a wonderful way to teach children in following after Christ. just think of the many opportunities to teach your children about sharing, patients, rejoicing when another wins, helping another, being truly happy for a sibling that they did well, all these are principles that you can teach your children while you play and they all go back to Jesus teaching of putting another first and learning to care for another. monopoly is a great game for this. i know of two sisters who spent time playing this game one evening and both learned wonderful lessons about themselves in Christ. after the game was over the older sister said "i really saw that i struggle with pride when we were playing that game." she admitted she did not want her little sister to win but as the Lord opened her heart and she repented she was able to rejoice in her sisters victory. the younger sister was so moved by her older sisters heart that she repented and admitted that their had been times when she thought herself better then her sister, she had been vain and feeding her own ego. she admitted and repented of this sin and now happily plays the game with out thoughts about "crushing" her sister but just for the enjoyment and fellowship time that God has allowed them to have together. you children will not always have these moments, they can be blessings and gifts from the Lord use them, play the games and always be open to the Holy Spirit to point them toward Jesus. there are so many opportunities in this life that can draw us closer to the Lord and point us toward Him if we are open to seeing what He has for us.

this is my understanding and how i play:) of course do what seems best as the Lord leads you.

rdg

2013/4/7 8:47Profile
romanchog

Re:

After posting this up last night I was praying more about it. My three oldest do not live at home and are very worldly. The only opportunity I have to speak the Word into their lives is when they come over. If that time is spent playing the opportunity is lost.
One of my daughter's reminded me of something my husband said while he was alive. He said that while some things may be ok for us to do with he kids who live at home, it may not be ok to do the same thing with the older children because I would be allowing them to remain in their blinded state instead of seeing the truth and leading them to repentance. The subject at the time was different, but I think the principle applies.

Thank you all for your replies thus far. Most of you seem to assume that the children are young which is not the case for all ( I have 9). It is the older ones I'm concerned about mostly.

Still praying over this.

2013/4/7 10:28Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

the two sisters that i spoke about were older, not young children. you may also be surprised at how often the Lord uses a younger sibling to by example open the eyes of an older child. of course do as you think is best in the Lord. If He is leading you to do things a certain way then go for it. you seem to now have your answer by your last post or at least where you feel He is leading you.

rdg

2013/4/7 10:47Profile
beekpr

My wife and I have just completed a delightful game of Scrabble. A few weeks ago I wrote a love song to her about the joy of simply being in her presence throughout the day, through the seasons etc. entitled, "Just To Be With You, My Love". This little exerpt from the song speaks of the enjoyment we share playing word games together.
"When the blust'ring storm winds blow,
Swirling snow too thick to see -
Oh, what comeradeship we know,
Playing Scrabble, you and me!
Doing fun things together which bring mutual enjoyment (different things for different people) are a way to nurture and build relationships.
Outside the house our mother dog and her two puppies that have not been sold are having a grand time playing dog games together - that is how God made them to relate to one another. A dog that doesn't play is an unhappy dog as are their masters if they are always too serious to have fun!

2013/4/7 17:28Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: Games

romanchog,

Perhaps spending time with your older children and enjoying some merriment would minister to their souls.

As has been mentioned, there is nothing inherintely evil about games in general. Think of how happy and playful young children can be. They are made in the image of God. Is God any less playful? I know we usually don't think of our Father that way but stop and consider it for a moment. Can we still live with a larger purpose in mind while having fun? Did Jesus have a good time with His disciples at the wedding in Cana? And what about the wine? The good wine, not just any old junk. Jesus could lavish His love on people and still be about His Father's business. I belive we can too.

If you don't mind sharing, what reasons do your older children state as their objections to Christianity? I know in church circles we tend to say it is simply sin and rebellion but people are much more complicated than that. Meditate on the wisdome of Proverbs 20:5: A plan in the heart of a man is like deep water, But a man of understanding draws it out.

Perhaps some more casual time with the older ones will allow you to plunge into the depths of their hearts and souls.

Grace and peace,
Matthew

2013/4/7 18:09Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

In many forums I read where people ask, "Is doing this or that a sin" or "Is doing this or that worldly" or whatever the variation.

And I always think, who knows your heart but God and who knows the voice of the Lord for yourself but you!

2013/4/7 22:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy